Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1997 TREK 6500, 1998 KLEIN Mantra Race, 2004 KONA dew (SOLD),2006 SCOTT SUB (SOLD),2008 GIANT OCR (SOLD), 2006 TREK T900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what do i need to install AVID disc on TREK T900?

after reading all the disc brake threads i can find in this forum, i believe i can install mechanical AVID disc on the rear of our TREK T900. the roads are mostly flat here in Ontario, Canada and we are a 270lbs tandem team so i believe this set up is fine for us with a good margin of safety.

my rear hub has the threaded shoulder on the non-drive side. so what adaptors do i need? i believe i can get the TREK disc brake frame bracket locally. is there any T900 owners out there than has done this? i'd like to get the AVID 203mm so the parts are easily available in case i melt the plastic parts. anyone has the right hub adapter that they are willing to sell?

thanks in advance!
    Rommel and Lucille

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you contact Trek's Technical Support folks or your dealer?

The following post contained information for the earlier Trek T1000/T2000 models, but I can't be sure what your T900 may require without contacting Trek...

How do I fet a rear disc brake to a Trek T1000 Tandem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Precision Tandems they have brake kits and have the needed bracket for the Trek frames.
    http://www.precisiontandems.com

Adapter

Described as:
    AVID Mechanical Ball Bearing 203mm DISC BRAKE KIT FOR TREKS NEEDING A SPECIAL ISO ADAPTER MOUNT
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

My Bikes
    1997 TREK 6500, 1998 KLEIN Mantra Race, 2004 KONA dew (SOLD),2006 SCOTT SUB (SOLD),2008 GIANT OCR (SOLD), 2006 TREK T900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
    Check out Precision Tandems they have brake kits and have the needed bracket for the Trek frames.
    http://www.precisiontandems.com

Adapter

Described as:
    AVID Mechanical Ball Bearing 203mm DISC BRAKE KIT FOR TREKS NEEDING A SPECIAL ISO ADAPTER MOUNT
    is this set up stiff enough to withstand flexing?
    Rommel and Lucille

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why?

[QUOTE=....i can install mechanical AVID disc on the rear of our TREK T900. the roads are mostly flat .. we are a 270lbs tandem team ..![/QUOTE]

Sure you can, but why? flat land, 270 lbs?? you are well within the limits of the standard rim brakes. There are many 300 lb single riders successfully using rim brakes only.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have ridden tandem with discs and for us, at just under 250 lbs team weight, it's overkill. We do not have a 3rd brake even, and we live in hilly/mountainous country. Cantis/centerpulls/sidepulls/U-brakes/V-brakes all have sufficed for us. We realize that discs are the hot topic nowadays, but not every team needs them.