New Stuff From Calfee...
Believe it or not, there are now EIGHT different models of Calfee Tandems to choose from. If you add in S&S couplers that list of tandem models expands to 14. I don't know about y'all, but that number of different models really caught me by surprise. I can vividly remember seeing and becoming smitten with the first Calfee Tetra Tandem that I saw in the flesh: it was Larry Black's custom 26" model that he brought along to ETR '01 in Frederick, Maryland. I really didn't grasp just how many different models were now available until a few days ago.
Anyway, and without further adieu..
1. The original Calfee Tetra Tandem with internal tube design which can still be special ordered.
2. The new Calfee Tetra Tandem: Calfee's open-frame model with oversized tubing.
3, The Dragonfly Tandem: Calfee's most lightweight tandem made with high modulus carbon.
4. The Stiletto Recumbent Tandem: a logical extension of their Stiletto 'bent line of frames.
5. The one-of-a-kind Calfee Recumbent Tandem Trike with ICS: you've got to see this one to believe it.
6. The other one-of-a-kind custom Calfee Tetra Tandems like the 26" models.
7. The Calfee / daVinci Carbon Tandem with daVinci's Independent Coasting System. I believe you can order these through daVinci or Calfee (Todd or Craig will correct me on this point, I'm sure). BTW, rumor has it that Greg LeMond replaced his Calfee S&S Tetra Tandem with a coupled ICS model...
8. And the latest addition to the offerings is the much anticipated Calfee Bamboo Tandem.
Yes, it's official... or, at least it's now on the Website and price list. Calfee has gone beyond the prototype stage and is now offering a Bamboo Tandems as part of its ever expanding product line. Rudy V. and others had mentioned that Craig intended to start offering the bamboo tandems '08 and I believe Larry Black may already have one: Photos of the frame are now posted on their Website (www.calfeedesign.com) under "Frame Types / Tandem". I kind of stumbled onto the bamboo tandem photo the other day which sent me surfing the site for other changes. That's when I discovered the updated 'Recumbent' page with the tandem model and the tandem trike.
Last edited by TandemGeek; 06-12-08 at 02:11 PM.
Craig Calfee keeps expanding his models of tandems/singles/bents.
We saw the bamboo prototype tandem several years ago at Interbike and that has now evolved into a production model. At the same show he also had his first 'bent on display.
While we've never ridden the 'boo tandem, did have the opportunity this fall at the El Tour de Tucson Expo to ride the 'boo single. Craig told me to take it for a test spin and was duly impressed! Bamboo is mother nature's natural form of carbon fiber. Expect the 'boo tandem would ride just as well.
Asides from being hand-selected/cured the bamboo is now 'smoked' to get rid of any possible irritants plus that seems to add a certain patina to the wood.
While bamboo was sort of treated as a 'novelty' it has now become a viable alternative.
Lemond apparently wanted a Calfee with the DaVinci ICS and that's how the cooperative effort between these two fine builders blossomed, according to Todd S.
First met Craig Calfee at one of Interbikes in 'the previous century' . . . he had a tandem frameset semi-hidden under a table at his booth and we asked to see and heft it. It was a prototype and he was sort of reluctant to go into detail. Explained our tandem interest and he became much more open and told him we'd give it a mention in one of our magazine write-ups.
Test rode one of the older Calfee tandems for another article, and that really piqued our interest into going full carbon fiber on our next twicer.
Craig is not afraid to innovate and he does all the necessary testing/riding before the product is available to the public.
As we've often said: Quality lasts!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem