Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ft shifting problem

    My wife and I have a 2007 cannondale with an ultegra front deraillier. It will up shift ( to a larger chain ring) using shifting cable tension, and downshift ( to a smaller chain ring) with derailier spring pressure. Our problem, it won't downshift into granny gear with any pressure on the pedals. If we're on a 3% grade and then round a corner and face a steeper pitch, we are unable to down shift. Our older burley did not have this problem. Any possible solutions? Is there a triple that downshifts under pressure (tension) and up shifts with a spring. Our local pro level bike shop hasn't been able to help.

  2. #2
    Smiling and Waving thebikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Merrickville,Canada
    My Bikes
    -
    Posts
    364
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the derailleur isn't moving quite far enough in to change it to the grannie.Back the "low or L"screw a bit.Not too much or the chain will go past the grannie and off.

  3. #3
    hors category TandemGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    7,177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hearncst View Post
    Our local pro level bike shop hasn't been able to help.
    Given that you've been riding tandems and understand the need to unload the pedals to shift into your alpine gear, I'm a bit puzzled given that a good mechanic couldn't resolve the issue as I don't believe there is anything fundamentally different about the triple on your C'dale from any other triple on a bike aside from the wider rear axle spacing.

    Regardless, and even though a pro bike shop looked at it, if you do some of your own mechanical work I'd recommend revisiting the installation instructions from Shimano and comparing them to how your front derailleur is installed and set-up:

    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830616213.pdf

    Park Tools also has a very good on-line set-up guide:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

    Sometimes it's just the little details like cage alignment that can throw it all off.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's more like the spring doesn't have enough power to deflect the chain when the chain is under tension.

  5. #5
    hors category TandemGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    7,177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hearncst View Post
    No, it's more like the spring doesn't have enough power to deflect the chain when the chain is under tension.
    Have you checked your derailleur cable to make sure that it's not dragging or binding?

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tariffville, CT
    My Bikes
    Tsunami Bikes
    Posts
    13,114
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing is the middle ring may not be a middle ring, i.e. it may be missing the cutouts to allow the chain to move off to its inside. I bought a new middle ring for our tandem and realized after that it was a "small ring for a double", not a "middle ring for a triple". So it's sitting in my parts box for now.

    I used to file down teeth (1 almost all the way, 2 about half way) to "ramp" unramped chainrings. You might be able to do the same thing to assist the chain.

    An easy way to tell is if it has pick up pins on the inside. If it does, it's meant to be a middle. If it doesn't, it's meant to be a small.

    I am not next to our Cannondale tandem but if the seat tube is round and of reasonable diameter, you can put on a "chain watcher" or some other device to prevent the chain from dropping off the small ring (I prefer N-Gear's metal thing to the standard chain watcher). Then adjust the derailleur to overshift by a lot and rely on the watcher to keep the chain on the ring. Unfortunately if the derailleur is toward its inner limits, the spring tension is not substantial.

    cdr
    "...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

  7. #7
    Terri's Captain RickinFl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good suggestions here! One other thing to think about is whether or not you are trying to shift from a badly crossed chain position. If the chain is on an outer cog on the cassette this might be the problem. Try already being shifted to an inner cog before you go to the granny. You'll probably want some combination like that anyway if you need the granny.

    Rick

    Quote Originally Posted by hearncst View Post
    My wife and I have a 2007 cannondale with an ultegra front deraillier. It will up shift ( to a larger chain ring) using shifting cable tension, and downshift ( to a smaller chain ring) with derailier spring pressure. Our problem, it won't downshift into granny gear with any pressure on the pedals. If we're on a 3% grade and then round a corner and face a steeper pitch, we are unable to down shift. Our older burley did not have this problem. Any possible solutions? Is there a triple that downshifts under pressure (tension) and up shifts with a spring. Our local pro level bike shop hasn't been able to help.

  8. #8
    N. Little Rock, AR. Twobuystoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    My Bikes
    KHS Tandemania Alite Tandem, Trek T 1000 Tandem, Raleigh Companion Tandem
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more idea to think about, we bought a KHS that had the same problem it would shift on the stand but not on the road. The deraillier was hitting the seat tube, if that's the problem you need to install a spacer on the right side of the bottom bracket. Just my two cents.
    Seth

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    My Bikes
    Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)
    Posts
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
    Another thing is the middle ring may not be a middle ring, i.e. it may be missing the cutouts to allow the chain to move off to its inside. I bought a new middle ring for our tandem and realized after that it was a "small ring for a double", not a "middle ring for a triple". So it's sitting in my parts box for now.

    I used to file down teeth (1 almost all the way, 2 about half way) to "ramp" unramped chainrings. You might be able to do the same thing to assist the chain.

    An easy way to tell is if it has pick up pins on the inside. If it does, it's meant to be a middle. If it doesn't, it's meant to be a small.
    Boy, how did people ever shift in the days before pins/ramps/cut away teeth and the lot?
    FWIW: we have TA rings on both tandems (one of which is a Cannondale RT with Ultegra front mech) and they up- and downshift just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
    I am not next to our Cannondale tandem but if the seat tube is round and of reasonable diameter, you can put on a "chain watcher" or some other device to prevent the chain from dropping off the small ring (I prefer N-Gear's metal thing to the standard chain watcher). Then adjust the derailleur to overshift by a lot and rely on the watcher to keep the chain on the ring. Unfortunately if the derailleur is toward its inner limits, the spring tension is not substantial.
    cdr
    Yes, the N-Gear fits a Road Tandem: we actually have one on ours (an 04 model).
    Regards, Marten / www.tandemclub.nl
    '03 Santos Dual Travel | '13 MSC Zion Tandem

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •