Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Hey let's ride. pathdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem
    Posts
    2,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone here riding a 26 inch wheel tandem

    Here's my problem. I'm short. I need a short tandem frame with a standover of less than 30 inches.
    I ordered a Tsunami off road frame with a stanover of 28inches.
    Any reason I can't just build this up with slicks and use standard road components on everything else?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    SDS
    SDS is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No reason I can think of. I would suggest you gear a little higher--12T to start, and 11T as soon as you know you need it. If you are going to ride with groups on the road, you will need an 11T small cog with 26" wheels. Water bottle boss location could interfere with the placement of a front derailleur in the proper location for a 53T large ring on a typical 53-39-28 road triple.

  3. #3
    Senior Member embankmentlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North, Ga.
    My Bikes
    Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's
    Posts
    1,683
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife & I have a 26" wheel road tandem. We are somewhat new to the tandem scene & not as experienced as most who lurk here. We are running out of gears at about 40mph! That's plenty fast for us! I am 5'10" & my wife is 5'3" ,the low top tube makes for easy starts and stops.

  4. #4
    Hey let's ride. pathdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem
    Posts
    2,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys have any pics of you 26inch tandems?
    I'm just wondering how different they look compared to 700c's.

  5. #5
    hors category TandemGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    7,162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pathdoc View Post
    Any reason I can't just build this up with slicks and use standard road components on everything else?
    None. And, in all honesty, it's probably a better wheel size but cycling trends & marketing here in the states in particular have simply driven consumers towards the 700c wheel size.

    Thus, often times folks come away with the impression that 26" wheeled road tandems just look out of place when surrounded by their taller-wheeled cousins and that makes for a tough sell given the power of conformity.

    A worthwhile read on 700c vs 26" wheeled tandems: http://www.precisiontandems.com/artbillwheelsize.htm

    Disclaimer: Our road tandems are, alas, 700c: guilty of following the herd / road racer bike mentality. However, we also have always had a 26" off-road tandem in the stable.

  6. #6
    Old biker, new tandem-er!
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    My Bikes
    '94 Burley Rock n' Roll, '95 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, '05 GF HKEK, '98 K2 5000, Giant TCR Once Team
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we have a 26" wheel tandem. It was sold as a mountain tandem, but we've got huge smooth-tread tires on it for "hybrid" duty.

    My build-up thread is here: Project BRB (Big Red Bike)

    Sadly, we haven't ridden it enough to really get a feel for it yet. 26" wheels do have the advantage of being stronger, due to the shorter spokes, so that's a good thing.

  7. #7
    hors category TandemGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    7,162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pathdoc View Post
    You guys have any pics of you 26inch tandems?
    I'm just wondering how different they look compared to 700c's.
    Here are some apples to apples pictures from two different builders:

    26" Co-Motion Mocha & 700c Co-Motion Speedster




    26" daVinci Grand Junction & 700c daVinci Joint Venture




    Note: I would have included Santana's 700c Sovereign / 26" Encore; however, they use very different frame designs and have the Encores (as well as the steel Fusion) set up with off-road tires such that the 26" bikes look like off-road machines... not 26" road tandems.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Co-Motion Moca with 26 inch wheels. Pictures of ours can be seen at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1875&v=Cv

  9. #9
    Senior Member JTGraphics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,620
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see ours from my signature link.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

  10. #10
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,110
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, years ago Burley offered an optional road gruppo/drop bars on their 26" wheeled tandems.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    None. And, in all honesty, it's probably a better wheel size but cycling trends & marketing here in the states in particular have simply driven consumers towards the 700c wheel size.

    Thus, often times folks come away with the impression that 26" wheeled road tandems just look out of place when surrounded by their taller-wheeled cousins and that makes for a tough sell given the power of conformity.

    A worthwhile read on 700c vs 26" wheeled tandems: http://www.precisiontandems.com/artbillwheelsize.htm

    Disclaimer: Our road tandems are, alas, 700c: guilty of following the herd / road racer bike mentality. However, we also have always had a 26" off-road tandem in the stable.
    Does anyone make 26 road wheels, or 26 x 23 mm tires? This would make a 26 wheeled tandem much more attractive for road cycling.

  12. #12
    hors category TandemGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    7,162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geocyclist View Post
    Does anyone make 26” road wheels, or 26” x 23 mm tires? This would make a 26” wheeled tandem much more attractive for road cycling.
    Narrow Rims are easy...

    • Velocity's 26" Fusion rim uses the same 19mm width extrusion as their 700c rim which is ideal for 23mm - 28mm tires, and the AeroHead with it's 22mm wide extrusion is also a good choice.
    • daVinci makes its own 26" V-22 rim that has a 22mm width that works fine with 25mm - 32mm tires, but is probably marginal for 23mm.


    Narrow Tires are the problem... 26 x 1.1 (28-559) is standard fare, although Continental makes the Grand Prix in a 25mm width (25-559), both folding and wire bead. I also want to say that Tufo makes a 23mm (23-559) Tubular.
    Last edited by TandemGeek; 10-30-08 at 07:54 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member WebsterBikeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Just outside Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're a very light team, 23 mm tires aren't likely all that great an idea anyhow. Rolling resistance depends on the amount the tire is deflected when in contact with the road. Narrow contact area means longer contact area means more deflection. The main advantage of narrow rims and tires is aerodynamics. Tandems are already advantaged wrt aerodynamics, but disadvantaged wrt rolling resistance. Hence wider tires (to a point) are faster. It's not that you want super wide tires, just that the optimum tradeoff between rolling resistance and wind resistance happens at a wider point for tandems.

    And 26 inch wheels are widely recommended for touring, especially if you want to take it internationally.

  14. #14
    Hey let's ride. pathdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem
    Posts
    2,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are a wealth of info.

    Another question. Where can I find a good quality 26 inch rear wheel, disc compatible with 145mm spacing?

  15. #15
    Senior Member WebsterBikeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Just outside Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pathdoc View Post
    You guys are a wealth of info.

    Another question. Where can I find a good quality 26 inch rear wheel, disc compatible with 145mm spacing?
    I would almost ask where can't you. Quick search yielded DaVinci Designs, Peter White, Precision Tandems, Tandems East, Freewheel Bike, the list goes on.

  16. #16
    Hey let's ride. pathdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem
    Posts
    2,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its looking much cheaper to go with a non disc rear hub.

  17. #17
    Senior Member JTGraphics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,620
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good place to start Precision Tandems
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebsterBikeMan View Post
    Unless you're a very light team, 23 mm tires aren't likely all that great an idea anyhow. Rolling resistance depends on the amount the tire is deflected when in contact with the road. Narrow contact area means longer contact area means more deflection.
    Deflection is also dependent on pressure. Some 23 tires can handle 145 lbs/in2. We use 135 with 25 tires.

  19. #19
    Senior Member swc7916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Machias, WA
    My Bikes
    Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I went to order our tandem I had been expecting to get 700c wheels, but was talked into 26". The folks at R+E seem to like 26"-wheeled tandems for most people, especially for coupled tandems since they're smaller and easier to pack. Mine has 36h Velocity Aeroheat rims, Phil Wood hubs, a SRAM 11-32 cassette and an Arai drum brake. R+E's favorite 26" tandem tire is the 26x1.25 Serfas Barista; it's a 310 gram, 100 psi "pavement" tire. They're a fast tire that I like pretty well except that I'm only getting about 900 miles or so out of a rear tire (the fronts last 3x as long), but they're fairly cheap at $25 per tire so it's not that big of a deal to replace them. If I were touring, I think that I would install heavier tires. I don't know what a comparable 700c wheelset would weigh, but this these wheels are pretty heavy - the rear wheel with everything on it weighs 7 pounds!

    Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    Narrow Tires are the problem... 26 x 1.1 (28-559) is standard fare, although Continental makes the Grand Prix in a 25mm width (25-559), both folding and wire bead. I also want to say that Tufo makes a 23mm (23-559) Tubular.
    The Primo Racer is 26 x 1 (20-559) and rated at 110 psi, but I don't think it's tandem-rated.

  20. #20
    Hey let's ride. pathdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem
    Posts
    2,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, I ordered a pair of the Serfas Barista tires.

  21. #21
    Senior Member WebsterBikeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Just outside Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Deflection is also dependent on pressure. Some 23 tires can handle 145 lbs/in2. We use 135 with 25 tires.
    Pressure and weight. If you and your bike (and any gear) weigh (say) 200 pounds on a single, and your team, tandem and gear are 340 pounds, you're looking at 70% extra weight. It isn't distributed the same, but you could still be increasing the downward force by 50%. So if you like 120 psi on a single, you need 180 on otherwise identical tires to have the same contact patch. Or you can compensate with a combination of somewhat higher pressure and somewhat wider tires.

  22. #22
    Senior Member embankmentlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North, Ga.
    My Bikes
    Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's
    Posts
    1,683
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my Burley with a XS frame & 26" wheels. I use a 130 extra high stem for proper fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SWC7916 wrote "R+E's favorite 26" tandem tire is the 26x1.25 Serfas Barista; it's a 310 gram, 100 psi "pavement" tire"

    I looked on the Serfas website and it said that the tire is max of 65 psi. Is the website incorrect? I ask because I am looking for faster tires for our Mocha. The Schwalbe Marathon Racers are great touring tires but are heavier and the tread probably offers some resistance. I have also looked at the Schwalbe Kojak, has anyone tried them on a tandem?

    Thanks!

  24. #24
    Senior Member swc7916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Machias, WA
    My Bikes
    Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandem rider View Post
    SWC7916 wrote "R+E's favorite 26" tandem tire is the 26x1.25 Serfas Barista; it's a 310 gram, 100 psi "pavement" tire"

    I looked on the Serfas website and it said that the tire is max of 65 psi. Is the website incorrect? I ask because I am looking for faster tires for our Mocha. The Schwalbe Marathon Racers are great touring tires but are heavier and the tread probably offers some resistance. I have also looked at the Schwalbe Kojak, has anyone tried them on a tandem?

    Thanks!
    Serfas' website is in error.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #25
    Senior Member JTGraphics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,620
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a pair if Schwalbe Stelvio 26 Inch High Pressure Tires 26x1.1 Folding Bead (28-559, 115 Max. PSI, 250 grams) no flats to date on them tuff tire about 2k mi now these have no tread strictly road tire.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •