Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member duppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How to determine the size of a Burley

    All,
    a craigslist ad from a town a few hours driving showed a '98 Burley Rumba. Question for all burley owners: How can the owner determine the size? Are there any indicators on the bike that would determine the size? Does the serial number give an indication of the size?
    When I asked the owner what size it was, he measured it and his measurements fell right between a medium and a large. Before I jump in the car and drive 4 hours, it would be nice to know that the bike fits.
    Thanks,
    Duppie

  2. #2
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    9,962
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you have the measurements would it fit pilot/stoker?

    If it does, drive out there and do a test ride.

  3. #3
    Senior Member duppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Now that you have the measurements would it fit pilot/stoker?

    If it does, drive out there and do a test ride.
    Good point. However assuming that it is not a custom sized tandem (did Burley make those?) it is either a medium or a large. Medium would probably a good fit, large less so.
    I have never owned a car in my 40-year life, so a 4-5 hour drive to me is a long drive. I typically only drive that distance if I have to.
    Thanks, Duppie

  4. #4
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    9,962
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burley never made custom size tandems.
    Given the standover room (from center of bottom bracket to top of seattube/toptube juncture) for both pilot and stoker will give you the tandem size (ex: 21 x 19).
    Figure out your current size on single and that'll give you an idea if it will fit.
    Caution: for tandem pilot it's better to have a bit more standover than you do on your single bike by at least 1/2 to one inch; as pilot you need to be able to straddle the top tube (with your butt touching nose of the saddle) and both feet flat on the ground.
    In their 2006 catalog (only catalog I have) Burley shows the steel roadframe Small as 21.3 x 18.1inches (or 54/46 cm); Medium as 22.1 x 18.9 inches (56/48 cm; Large 23.2x20.1 inches (59/51 cm). The 1998 model *may* have had different actual sizes for S, M and L tandems.
    Hope this helps.
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

  5. #5
    Senior Member duppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Burley never made custom size tandems.
    Given the standover room (from center of bottom bracket to top of seattube/toptube juncture) for both pilot and stoker will give you the tandem size (ex: 21 x 19).
    Figure out your current size on single and that'll give you an idea if it will fit.
    Caution: for tandem pilot it's better to have a bit more standover than you do on your single bike by at least 1/2 to one inch; as pilot you need to be able to straddle the top tube (with your butt touching nose of the saddle) and both feet flat on the ground.
    In their 2006 catalog (only catalog I have) Burley shows the steel roadframe Small as 21.3 x 18.1inches (or 54/46 cm); Medium as 22.1 x 18.9 inches (56/48 cm; Large 23.2x20.1 inches (59/51 cm). The 1998 model *may* have had different actual sizes for S, M and L tandems.
    Hope this helps.
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
    Zonatandem, as always, your advice is very helpful. I had the seller re-measure it and it turns out to be a size large. I think we'll let this one go.
    It actually amazes me how many tandems are up for sale, now that I started looking. I don't think we will have a problem finding a good choice in the next few months.
    Thanks, Duppie

  6. #6
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,217
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going forward, I would measure the distance from the center of the BB to the top of your seat, and the distance from the top of your seat post to the center of your handlebars on each of your single bikes. Also measure your standover height.

    Assuming that you can both comfortably standover a tandem you're considering, and the 4 measurements above can be replicated on the canidate tandem with stems and seat posts of reasonable lengths, you should be able to make such a tandem fit, and certainly be close enough to the right fit to merit a test ride.
    Last edited by merlinextraligh; 02-02-09 at 02:54 PM.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  7. #7
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    9,962
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This time of the year it's bit easier to find a used tandem; many folks can't ride due to the weather. Keep lookin'!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I have a 2000 Burley Rhumba and I believe is a medium. I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'8" and the bike works well for us, although I would say it would fit a bigger captain than me more easily than a smaller captain, and probably my wife is on the tall end of what it accommodates as a stoker as well.

  9. #9
    Senior Member duppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Going forward, I would measure the distance from the center of the BB to the top of your seat, and the distance from the top of your seat post to the center of your handlebars on each of your single bikes. Also measure your standover height.

    Assuming that you can both comfortably standover a tandem you're considering, and the 4 measurements above can be replicated on the canidate tandem with stems and seat posts of reasonable lengths, you should be able to make such a tandem fit, and certainly be close enough to the right fit to merit a test ride.
    I hadn't really considered this. That is a good idea. Given my somewhat odd body size (long torso, short legs) this might be a better option than merely looking at framesizes.
    Thanks, Duppie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •