Captain - 2nd in Command
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Without knowing your sons diagnosis -
1. A "regular" tandem with you as captain - Canondale, Trek, Comotion, Santana etc
2. A hybrid tandem such as the Hase Pino www.hasebikes.com
with your son in the front seat.
3. Two Hase Kettwiesel's joined together with your son in the rear.
4. A Tandem recumbent trike such as the Greenspeed GTT www.greenspeed.com.au
5. A Tandem recumbent two wheel bike.
There are a bunch of adaptions available for the Hase bikes.
If at any point your son would get "tired" of the ride or want to get off when it was not appropriate to do so, you may be better off with a recumbent configuration which is more comfortable for longer rides and less possibility of falling off.
A cyclist I know takes a special needs friend for a tandem ride - There were a number of times his friend "fell asleep" on the back and was not holding on. Nothing bad happened but certainly increases task loading for the captain - Is my stoker awake?
My son has CP and we use a Hase Trets today but likely I will use a Hase Pino in the future with my son on the front.
Last edited by djsincla; 07-07-09 at 02:05 AM.