I have such an annoying noise coming from the rear of our Trek T2000 that my fiancee is threatening to stop riding with me. Do you think she is seeing another captain? It is my last great hope that one of you will save my upcoming marriage!
I posted in a thread last year here, but for whatever reason I put the noise out of my head and haven't followed up since.
I've got 24 spoke Bontrager Race Lite wheels and an Arai drum brake with about 3000 miles.
Here is a summary of this mystery noise:
1. is kind of a slushing or whirring sound with a bit of scrapeyness
2. only appears after about an hour or so of riding
3. only appears when pedaling uphill at low speeds (<12mph)
4. appears in any gear combination
5. may appear or disappear unexpectedly without any other changes
6. appears only when pedaling
7. (i think) it only appears when my stoker is on the bicycle
8. is independent of pedal position
9. includes no clicking or ticking
10. improves briefly after shifting but returns promptly
11. improves very slightly with chain lube
12. seemed to be cured for several months once when I reassembled the bike from a trip
I have replaced the chain but not the hub. I'm not particularly handy with bike parts - do I need a whole new wheel assembly if the hub is bad?
I just don't want my future wife to go into the shop and say: "give me a new hubby."