Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tandem friendly shop in LA

    Just bought a used Cannondale RT1000 and looking to upgrade components. Totally new to bikes and still a student so looking for a shop to take care of me. I know that there are a lot of tandems in SoCal but does anyone have a recommendation on a tandem shop in LA? Are there any tandem only places in the LA area? I couldn't find anything online so any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know what you want to upgrade you can buy parts online on ebay (cheapest), precision tandems, tandems east, etc. Bud's Bike Shop in Claremont specializes in tandem stuff (heavily Santana oriented).

  3. #3
    hors category TandemGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    7,151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    Bud's Bike Shop in Claremont specializes in tandem stuff (heavily Santana oriented).
    Not sure that's still true. A Trek chain store franchisee (JAX Cycling Center) bought Buds from Bill McCready back in April 2006, noting that Bill also owns Santana; hence, the previous Santana / tandem focus at Buds where they sold about 30 new tandems a year.

    However, despite early comments from the new owner about keeping things as they were with regard to tandems, the relationship with Santana didn't last and Trek's tandem line isn't what it used to be either. So, probably best to call and find out just how well-staffed they are with regard to techs who have experience working on multispeed road tandems before making the trip.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, its better to learn how to work on your own bike than depend on a bike shop. The people working in bike shops are not always that experienced. You might get somebody who knows what they are doing or somebody who doesn't. You will need to buy some basic tools which do not cost that much. There many resources on the web like www.sheldonbrown.com that walk you through most repair procedures. I have been working on my bikes for 30 years and the only thing I can't do in install or remove a headset because I rarely need and never bought the tools and learned how. I have also been building all my own wheels for 10 years. You can also get help from this forum, lots of knowledgeable people here willing to help.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I totally agree that it would be best to work on the bike myself I really don't know anything, don't want to break anything and don't want miss out on riding for a month. So basically willing to pay a little for some convenience.

  6. #6
    hors category TandemGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    7,151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by act0fgod View Post
    While I totally agree that it would be best to work on the bike myself I really don't know anything, don't want to break anything and don't want miss out on riding for a month. So basically willing to pay a little for some convenience.
    You might want to give the folks at Velo Pasadena a call. If they're not working on tandems these days, they'll probably know who is.
    http://www.velopasadena.com

    Another place to call would be King's Bikes in Seal Beach. Derek Brayton was a name previously provided as someone who was tandem-savvy.
    http://www.kingsbikestore.com/
    Last edited by TandemGeek; 10-28-09 at 08:00 PM.

  7. #7
    member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    southern California
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what part of Los Angeles you are, so this may be a bit out of the way. I've read some good reviews of Newbury Park Bicycle Shop.
    http://npbikeshop.com/product-list/b...-101/road-102/
    I haven't been there myself, but plan to check it out sometime.
    Burley Softride Samba
    Rans Screamer
    1997 Vision R44
    Novara buzz flyby
    1987 centurion ironman
    1999 specialized FSR XC comp

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by act0fgod View Post
    While I totally agree that it would be best to work on the bike myself I really don't know anything, don't want to break anything and don't want miss out on riding for a month. So basically willing to pay a little for some convenience.
    Thats fine, I only mentioned it in case you were mechnically inclined and motivated to do so.
    Another option would be to find out what shops in L.A. carry Cannodale, Santana or Comotion tandems and give them call to see if they have experience servicing tandems.

    Good luck.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    My Bikes
    Steve Rex, Santana
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by la2sei View Post
    I don't know what part of Los Angeles you are, so this may be a bit out of the way. I've read some good reviews of Newbury Park Bicycle Shop.
    http://npbikeshop.com/product-list/b...-101/road-102/
    I haven't been there myself, but plan to check it out sometime.

    I have been there many times, and I would give it a good review. Large shop. Friendly staff. The mechanics are knowledgeable about tandems and their specific issues. They carry a fair selection of tandem specific parts - which is infinitely more than most other shops. Still, I seem to get most of my tandem specific stuff on the internet.

  10. #10
    Live Everyday
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tehachapi Mtns, Calif.
    My Bikes
    '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reversegear View Post
    I have been there many times, and I would give it a good review. Large shop. Friendly staff. The mechanics are knowledgeable about tandems and their specific issues. They carry a fair selection of tandem specific parts - which is infinitely more than most other shops. Still, I seem to get most of my tandem specific stuff on the internet.
    Have only been there once but ...+1

    Bill J.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    My Bikes
    Serotta, Co-Motion Macchiato, Ventana El Conquistador Tandem
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can recommend Bicycle Johns in Burbank. They sell some tandems and have done work on quite a few judging by the ones I see waiting to be picked up. I've always been pleased with their service. In fact, I followed my mechanic from another shop to this one over a year ago and since have bought a single, a tandem and had upgrades done to a second tandem - so I can speak from experience.

  12. #12
    Senior Member JTGraphics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by act0fgod View Post
    Just bought a used Cannondale RT1000 and looking to upgrade components. Totally new to bikes and still a student so looking for a shop to take care of me. I know that there are a lot of tandems in SoCal but does anyone have a recommendation on a tandem shop in LA? Are there any tandem only places in the LA area? I couldn't find anything online so any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    What is it that you are looking upgrade on your tandem?
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •