Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Trek 900T on CL

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trek 900T on CL

    I am considering buying a 2 year old Trek 900T off of Craigslist. The seller is asking $400. Can anyone give me some expert
    advice/tips? is this a good deal? What should I look out for?

    About us: I am probably what is considered a casual cyclist. My wife does not ride at all. This summer we rented a Raliegh Tandem
    SC. We really enjoyed it. I was able to balance for both of us, and she got better during the week we had it. We decided we
    decided we wanted to get one for ourselves so we could spend more time together.

    I am figuring that buying at vthis time of the year is when we can get the best bargains. Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member WebsterBikeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Just outside Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cras108er View Post
    I am considering buying a 2 year old Trek 900T off of Craigslist. The seller is asking $400. Can anyone give me some expert
    advice/tips? is this a good deal?
    Assuming it is in reasonable condition and fits well enough, yes. The bike lists at $1100 new.
    What should I look out for?
    • Years of fun.
    • Many opportunities to improve your communication.
    • Ice cream shops

    Oh, did you mean about the bike itself?
    Given its age, it either hasn't been ridden much (didn't work out for them) or it was ridden quite a lot and they're upgrading. In the former case, a bit of lubrication, adjust the saddle positions and bar positions, and you're good to go. In the latter case you should check for chain wear, tire wear, timing chain tension. If there are specific things to look out for on that model, others will have to chime in.
    My view on this one is that for what you're getting at that price, you can afford to replace anything that's worn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cras108er View Post
    About us: I am probably what is considered a casual cyclist. My wife does not ride at all. This summer we rented a Raliegh Tandem
    SC. We really enjoyed it. I was able to balance for both of us, and she got better during the week we had it. We decided we
    decided we wanted to get one for ourselves so we could spend more time together.
    This kind of information helps a lot in responding. It looks like you two are right in the target market for this bike. If you should at some point get much more heavily into cycling, you'll want to move to a higher end bike, but this one should work very well for what you describe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cras108er View Post
    I am figuring that buying at vthis time of the year is when we can get the best bargains. Any help is appreciated.

  3. #3
    Oldie, just not here! Onegun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shady Hills, Fl.
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek T2000 tandem, 2003 Burly Tosa Tandem, 6 singles including 2 fixies
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebsterBikeMan View Post
    This kind of information helps a lot in responding. It looks like you two are right in the target market for this bike. If you should at some point get much more heavily into cycling, you'll want to move to a higher end bike, but this one should work very well for what you describe.
    +1. And you'll probably get every penny of your $400 back when/if it becomes time to upgrade.

    As for the OP's comment about it being the right time of year to buy, he's got THAT right, too! I also noticed some BIG sales on Speedos recently!
    BICYCLE - [bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

    2005 Trek T2000 Tandem, 2003 Burley Tosa Tandem, Pacific Dualie beater tandem, and 6 singles including 2 fixies.

    TampaBayCycling.com - A LOCAL Cycling Forum
    The Florida Panthers Tandem Club

  4. #4
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,066
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great plan! Go for it and . . .
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

  5. #5
    Senior Member JTGraphics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,612
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have T900 its a great tandem $400 is a great price also.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input everyone. One final question. In terms of quality, is this a low end (entry level) bike or mid range? I know it isn't on the upper end of the scale. I guess I'm asking if this is similar to buying a huffy off the rack at Walmart. Thanks again.

  7. #7
    Oldie, just not here! Onegun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shady Hills, Fl.
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek T2000 tandem, 2003 Burly Tosa Tandem, 6 singles including 2 fixies
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cras108er View Post
    Thanks for all the input everyone. One final question. In terms of quality, is this a low end (entry level) bike or mid range? I know it isn't on the upper end of the scale. I guess I'm asking if this is similar to buying a huffy off the rack at Walmart. Thanks again.
    No, it's not. The big box store and many "internet brands" are not tandems at all. They don't even fit into the usual 3 stage, "entry level, mid-range, high-end" matrix. They are "TLOs", or Tandem-Like-Objects" .... not designed OR assembled correctly from the git-go, and you have to start off by taking the bike apart to grease and adjust every bearing, true and round the wheels, upgrade the brakes, etc, and after all that you still have cheap components that barely work and a sub-par frame.

    The T900, on the other hand, IS what most on this list would call "entry level" in that it has a properly designed frame, (even if a bit heavy), and entry level components that actually work.

    If you want to hold out for a better/lighter/faster used tandem as a starter, OK. But I can't see how you'd get hurt with this one. I made the statement earlier that you could always get your money back at the $400 price point. But if and when you decide that tandemming is for you and it becomes time to ante up $3000 or $5000 on a new machine, I usually suggest keeping the original bike for the occassion of:

    "Gee, that looks like fun! Can WE try it?"
    "Uh, yeah, sure! Ride THAT one!"

    The heavier/older/cheaper/wider tire second bike also becomes beater bike/grocery-getter/foul weather bike/low-speed fun ride bike/off-road or bad-road bike, etc.
    BICYCLE - [bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

    2005 Trek T2000 Tandem, 2003 Burley Tosa Tandem, Pacific Dualie beater tandem, and 6 singles including 2 fixies.

    TampaBayCycling.com - A LOCAL Cycling Forum
    The Florida Panthers Tandem Club

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •