Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Tandem guy
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New bike for Christmas!

    Hello all! This is apparently my first post, but I've been lurking around here for quite some time. Anyway, our new custom-built Bob Brown tandem was finished recently after about a two-year waiting period and, needless to say, we're very excited about it. The downside is that we live in WI, and with the sub-freezing temps along with about a foot of snow on the ground, we probably won't be able to ride it until late March or April..... Still, after riding the same old "tank" of a tandem for the past 25+ years, we decided a while back that it would be nice to treat ourselves to a new bike. It's essentially a new frame with a few new components, but we transferred many of our older components over to the bike as well (drivetrain, wheelset, saddles, etc.). I'm not sure if the same rule applies here as it does on another guitar forum I visit - "it doesn't exist unless you have pics" - but here it is:







    Just gotta say.....it's nice to be here, and hopefully I'll have time to post a little more often. Hope everyone had a great holiday season! We certainly did!

    Jim

  2. #2
    Tandem Vincitur Ritterview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
    Posts
    3,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
    ...our new custom-built Bob Brown tandem was finished...( Still, after riding the same old "tank" of a tandem ... it would be nice to treat ourselves to a new bike. It's essentially a new frame with a few new components, but we transferred many of our older components over to the bike as well (drivetrain, wheelset, saddles, etc.).
    So, your old non-coupled steel frame was a tank, and this steel frame, with the same components but with 6 couplers (about 2 lbs) is going to be non-tanky? What with 2 lbs of couplers, is this frame going to weigh significantly less than your old frame? It will have better tubing, and nice lug construction, but I am just wondering if this is enough on its own to free you from the years of tandem tankiness you've endured.

    Just as rock soup is enhanced by the addition of vegetables and beef, so too your frame might have even more of those qualities you anticipate if it had a carbon fork.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Jenison, MI
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR3, Burley Tamburello, Specialized Allez jr
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know about the weight issues, but that is a great looking bike...enjoy it

  4. #4
    hors category TandemGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    7,162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
    Hello all! This is apparently my first post, but I've been lurking around here for quite some time. Anyway, our new custom-built Bob Brown tandem was finished recently after about a two-year waiting period and, needless to say, we're very excited about it.
    Congrats and you have every reason to be very excited. It's a great looking tandem that was built to order and is unlike any other made. I'm sure it will handle like a dream.

    Welcome to the forum. We looking forward to hearing more once the weather affords you and yours some time on the new Bob Brown.

  5. #5
    Senior Member WebsterBikeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Just outside Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
    Sweet.

  6. #6
    No Pain, No Pizza Thigh Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Above Jamestown, CO
    My Bikes
    '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '10 Bianchi Vigorelli, '94 Trek 2120
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bee-youtie-full! Enjoy enjoy enjoy!
    '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R
    '10 Bianchi Vigorelli
    '97 Burley Duet
    '94 Trek 2120
    "If you got passed in James Canyon by a big guy with a huge, orange courier bag, that was me. If you passed a big guy with a huge, orange courier bag, that was my brother."

  7. #7
    Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tehachapi Mtns, Calif.
    My Bikes
    '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great looking Tandem. Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the forum.

    Bill J.

  8. #8
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,110
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the B.B. tandem. Nice lugwork too!
    Don't get any chain lube on that white couch!!!
    Fly it to Tucson for a test ride . . . was only 72 degrees here this afternoon.
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    RUdy and Kay/zonatandem

  9. #9
    Tandem guy
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterview View Post
    So, your old non-coupled steel frame was a tank, and this steel frame, with the same components but with 6 couplers (about 2 lbs) is going to be non-tanky? What with 2 lbs of couplers, is this frame going to weigh significantly less than your old frame? It will have better tubing, and nice lug construction, but I am just wondering if this is enough on its own to free you from the years of tandem tankiness you've endured.

    Just as rock soup is enhanced by the addition of vegetables and beef, so too your frame might have even more of those qualities you anticipate if it had a carbon fork.
    You have a good point there! I will point out, however, that the old "tanky" frame was constructed of straight-gauge aircraft steel tubing, so the frame alone weighs somewhere around 15 pounds heavier than the new one, and this includes the side-braced tubing that isn't used much today. While it was considered a nice tandem bike frame in its day, it's very heavy by today's standards. The new steel-framed bike with the couplers, lugsets, as well as with the 48-spoke wheelset weighs in at just over 40 pounds, so while it may be a relatively heavy bike in some respects, it's by far lighter than the one we've been riding for the last 25 years. Between new components and reduced frame weight, it's nearly 20 pounds less, so that doesn't seem like such a bad thing. Above all, I just can't wait to ride it!

    And, thanks to all for the nice comments!

  10. #10
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,414
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful bike.

    Don't know your team weight, or your intended uses, but I think a second set of nicer, lighter, wheels might add to your enjoyment of the new frame.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  11. #11
    Tandem Vincitur Ritterview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
    Posts
    3,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
    ... the old "tanky" frame was constructed of straight-gauge aircraft steel tubing, so the frame alone weighs somewhere around 15 pounds heavier than the new one, and this includes the side-braced tubing that isn't used much today. While it was considered a nice tandem bike frame in its day, it's very heavy by today's standards. The new steel-framed bike with the couplers, lugsets, as well as with the 48-spoke wheelset weighs in at just over 40 pounds, so while it may be a relatively heavy bike in some respects, it's by far lighter than the one we've been riding for the last 25 years. Between new components and reduced frame weight, it's nearly 20 pounds less, so that doesn't seem like such a bad thing. Above all, I just can't wait to ride it!

    And, thanks to all for the nice comments!
    Wow, that is tanky! My 1991 Burley Rock "N Roll is around 45 lbs. and can be described as tanky, but your old tandem sounds like a refugee from the Battle of Kursk. Interesting to see what 24 years in advances in steel metallurgy, tube construction and frame making have wrought. That is a very beautiful and graceful frame, interesting that the couplers serve to ornament the look.

  12. #12
    Tandem guy
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the nice comments! And Merlin, we are indeed planning on having a new wheelset built sometime soon, for the wheels we now have are quite heavy.

    Regarding the old frame, the guy that built it did framebuilding work as a hobby, and if I recall correctly, he had access to a fairly large supply of straight-gauge steel aircraft tubing. In all, I believe he built two tandems (he owns the other) and about five single bikes, then he quit building. I will say, though, that the old bike certainly served its purpose for quite some time, and it was literally "bombproof." It was also an unusual bike in the sense that the builder placed the eccentric ring on the rear of the bike as opposed to the front. He did this so that the crankset would be placed in the front while allowing better lateral movement of the chain. Of course, this required a very long chain, so we eventually placed the crankset on rear. Anyway, here's a photo of the tank:


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Deep In The Heart
    My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Posts
    2,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
    ................, we are indeed planning on having a new wheelset built sometime soon, for the wheels we now have are quite heavy.
    Just an FYI, for our Burley Rock-n-Roll we had a new Aeroheat wheelset, on our old Shimano hubs, built up by this gentleman. Suddenly, it was like a new bike in ride and handling.

    http://www.youngwheels.com/

    Since he was only a couple of hours away I also had a chance to pass a very pleasant afternoon listening to him talk about "aero wheels", Rivendell, Ritchey, and other things. Very enlightening.

    Did I mention the new wheels made it like a new bike?
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

  14. #14
    Tandem guy
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    Just an FYI, for our Burley Rock-n-Roll we had a new Aeroheat wheelset, on our old Shimano hubs, built up by this gentleman. Suddenly, it was like a new bike in ride and handling.

    http://www.youngwheels.com/
    He has an interesting website, and thanks for the "heads up!" I may just have him build me a set.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Beautiful bike and thanks for posting pictures. I know that you will enjoy your new bike.

    Sheldon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •