Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-10, 11:48 AM   #1
madencbm
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recommendations for rim for rear disc wheel

Any recommendations for a rear disc rim and spoke configuration for tandem team weight of 350 pounds?. We never do loaded touring, mainly recreational riding in hills of Seattle area. Also any recommendation for campy 10 speed compatible hub?

Thanks,
CBM
madencbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 12:25 PM   #2
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to BF Tandem Cycling Subforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madencbm View Post
Also any recommendation for campy 10 speed compatible hub?
The DT 540 tandem will accept a Campy 10 (or 11) speed cassette using a conversion kit.

Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 12:34 PM   #3
TandemGeek
hors category
 
TandemGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 7,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madencbm View Post
Any recommendations for a rear disc rim and spoke configuration for tandem team weight of 350 pounds?. We never do loaded touring, mainly recreational riding in hills of Seattle area. Also any recommendation for campy 10 speed compatible hub?
Road tandems fitted with discs typically use a standard road rim with machined sidewalls vs. a disc-specific rim, so you're options would include most of the 700c rims recommended for tandems, e.g., Velocity Dyad, Deep-V or Fusion, Mavic CXP-33, A719, etc... depending on what size tires you plan to run. Given the team weight, 36h laced 3x should be OK and give you a few more rim options than 40h laced 3x. As for hubs, as mentioned DT 540 can be fitted with Campy 10 freehubs, so can White Industries hubs. Beyond that, it becomes slim pickings... unless you don't mind running a hybrid set-up, i.e., Campy 10 shifters/derailleurs with Shimano 9 or 10 speed cassettes... which is what we do. It's not always 'perfect' shifting, but even with the pure Campy system you can sometimes get chain chatter that needs to be silenced with a little shifter paddle pressure.
TandemGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 09:52 AM   #4
madencbm
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward Deep-V 36 hole and Chris King or DT Swiss. Prefer CK but I know that shifting issues on tandem are exaggerated compared to singles so need to consider going for campy compatible DT Swiss.

CBM
madencbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 10:22 AM   #5
TandemGeek
hors category
 
TandemGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 7,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madencbm View Post
Prefer CK but I know that shifting issues on tandem are exaggerated compared to singles so need to consider going for campy compatible DT Swiss.
So long as you can live with a 13x29t cassette, that works. The hybrid configurations only come in to play when you find you need something like a 12x32t or 12x34t for the very steep stuff.

Also, note that every integrated systems where everything is fully compatible will still have shifting issues on tandems that you don't experience on your single bike due to derailleur cable stretch. You can typically dial it out with a small turn of the downtube or in-line cable adjuster on the fly: it's just part of the tandem experience.
TandemGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 09:36 AM   #6
madencbm
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Campy/Shimano gear range

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
So long as you can live with a 13x29t cassette, that works. The hybrid configurations only come in to play when you find you need something like a 12x32t or 12x34t for the very steep stuff.

Also, note that every integrated systems where everything is fully compatible will still have shifting issues on tandems that you don't experience on your single bike due to derailleur cable stretch. You can typically dial it out with a small turn of the downtube or in-line cable adjuster on the fly: it's just part of the tandem experience.
Great point about gear range, thanks!
madencbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 AM.