Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked up a Trek t900

Came acroos a used t900 on cl and couldnt pass up the deal. Since our daughter is ready to move up from the trailer to a tag a long ,it seemed a better idea to buy a tandem and move my son up to the tandem and my daughter to the tag a long he uses now. I was wondering if any one has used this model for light touring,say a week or less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a T-900 for years and it is great for touring with kids. It has a lot of adjustability for seat height and handle-bar reach, so it is easy to adjust for different size kids riding day-to day. Works will for small-to- medium adult on back too. Only modifications I made was to change to clipless padals for captain, and added toe-clips for stoker, and put on 26 x 1.50 smooth tires for pavement riding.
    There is a unique TREK hitch option built into the frame, under rear seat (pull out round rubber cap in center of frame), that you might try to use to pull the tag-a-long. I think Trek stopped making the hitch pins, but you might still find them at Trek dealers. It would make a very stable hitch for the tag-a-long.
    Last edited by Ben There; 08-01-10 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. We stopped by the lbs today looking for a new seat post with out the suspension as my son still needs the extra inch and a half or so to be able to peddle. Of course they didn't have one so we did a short ten miles with my son basically keeping his feet up on the bar and enjoying the ride. We did find a seat post on the way home and two new saddles. No way I could keep the tractor seets.

My Bikes
    Apollo Triathlon,Colnago Master Piu, Giant OCR3, Trek Madone 3.1,Trek T900 Tandem, Bob Trailer, Trek 6500 mtb, Uni Cycle, Mini Penny Farthing,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter 8 and I have toured on our T900 tandem. We had front and rear panniers, would have prefered to use my BOB trailer but the skewer didn't show up in time. I found the tandem to be very good to tour on but there is a fair bit of side to side flex in the stoker position with a rear rack and panniers on. Over all though I would say very good. I also have upgrade with clipless pedals up front and toe clips for my daughter. She is also at the size that we had to replace the rear suspension seat post with a standard seat post and smaller saddle. First trip out she managed over 70km the first day!

My Bikes
    Bike Friday ( 2ea), Specialized TriCross Comp, Cannondale M900, Cannondale ST400 (1985), TREK T 900 Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rita and I are enjoying our T900 very much. It's a good handling bike, and I'm really surprised how well it climbs in the mountains. We've not done any touring.

Have fun with your new bike

Last week near Breckenridge, Colorado

In the driveway
    Last edited by werks; 09-19-10 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the first time I have seen a bike rack mounted on the front of a car.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is mounting the bike like this working out for you? I am considering doing the same.

My Bikes
    Schwinn CrissCross (1991), Specialized Roubaix (2009)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings. I too purchased a T900 off of craigslist recently. Have taken out my 9 year-old daughter several times on it. I changed the tires to the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo 26 X 1.95. I plan to talk to the local tandem guy about some better seats. And I need more reach to the handlebars, as I am 6'1" with a long torso. Looking forward to doing more rides with my daughter. And maybe I can get my wife to ride a bit.

WillFam-Clovis,CA
    My Bikes
    Triplet, Gitane Tndm, Trek Rd & MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to the stokers clipless pedals? The "last week near Breckenridge" shows platform pedals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of rack do you have on your bike?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much is a fair price for a used t900 in good shape?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It varies. Ours is a 2006 ,but didn't have many miles on it and wa treated well. There was an add on the Madison craiglist for a new one that had been custom painted for under 1000 and never ridden.