I just picked up an aluminium frame tandem (made by the defunct Ellison Aluminium Bike Co.); its setup with Shimano XT components and has floating disc brakes front and rear.
The brakes are Pro-Stop (model # is unknown) and appear to be a mechanical/hydraulic hybrid (see the bleed valves on top). Before I dare place my bride on the stoker saddle, I plan to tear this bad-boy down and re-work it from the frame up. However, I've never attempted to adjust a disc brake, let alone service the pad and bleed them.
Can anyone offer some advice on the following:
- How to service the caliper?
- Where to find replacement pads?
- What grade/brand of hydraulic fluid do I use?
- How do I bleed the brakes?
- Is it common to have the rotors machined, or should I run some light emory paper over them to clean?
Any advice you can offer is welcome.