I've begun searching for my wife's first clipless pedal to use on our tandem bike. I've been using SPDs for 20 years of mtbg, started doing some research on road-clipless pedals and learned there are A LOT! Please help! Here are more details in order of importance:
- She broke both her shins in a skiing accident years ago. I don't think her knees are the same either. We're in our 40s. A pedal that has adjustability is needed.
- This is for our tandem bike, which I'll hold steady while she'll clip in. Difficulty to clip in/out isn't much of an issue. (I'll try not to crash it.)
- She'll need to be able to walk in the shoes without us carrying ancillary pads.
- I'm a bit of a weight-weenie, she's 140# and we're only casual riders, so please keep that in mind if you plan to comment on longevity or failures you've seen.
- So far I've considered Time RXS Carbon and SPD-L (Ultegra), but then learned I-Clic is the new Time pedal, and some people like Keo, etc., and got frustrated at all the choices and decided to start a post.
- A cleat system that works for a variety of shoes would be a benefit.
- I can spend about $200 max, targeting $150.00. But lightly used is okay with me, so maybe consider your suggestions up to $300 retail assuming I could buy used for less.