Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    not enough
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Silver Paketa V2r

    Hi all, I promised a picture a while back - fun bike!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly what wheels are you using? Hubs, rim depth, number of spokes, who built them. Are the braking surfaces aluminum, and are they approved by Hed for tandem use.

    Many questions but they look like what I think I want.

    Wayne

  3. #3
    Newbie AubDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    La Mirada, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Santana Sovereign
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply gorgeous. I really like the silver/black look. You may have mentioned it in a previous thread, but how much does it weigh in at?

  4. #4
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    Senior Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    My Bikes
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
    Posts
    1,044
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad to the bone, or weld, or whatever...it's just bad.

    PK
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster, flat bars, discs and carbon fibre fork, size 22 / 19
    2006 Ventana ECDM full suspension mountain tandem
    Some single bikes and a couple of KTM's
    And most important, someone special that enjoys them with me (except the KTM's)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    not enough
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DubT View Post
    Exactly what wheels are you using? Hubs, rim depth, number of spokes, who built them. Are the braking surfaces aluminum, and are they approved by Hed for tandem use.

    Many questions but they look like what I think I want.

    Wayne
    Hi Wayne,

    Hed Jet 9 wheels. 90mm deep, not approved for over 190 lbs. 18 & 24 spoke count. Basically aluminum rims with a fairing. Hed hubs. No problems with them so far. These are not our everyday wheels. We also have a set of American Classic 420's- and an old set of Mavics on ultegra hubs. We mostly use the 420s. team weight 250-260 lbs- hed does make a "stallion: build with a weight limit of 225lbs.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    not enough
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AubDogg View Post
    Simply gorgeous. I really like the silver/black look. You may have mentioned it in a previous thread, but how much does it weigh in at?
    Thank you! I have not weighed it with the Heds. I would estimate under 24lbs with pedals.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    not enough
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Bad to the bone, or weld, or whatever...it's just bad.

    PK
    Thanks PMK! The rest of the riders in our "A" group are hating it. Tandem power !!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swamptandem View Post
    Hi Wayne,

    Hed Jet 9 wheels. 90mm deep, not approved for over 190 lbs. 18 & 24 spoke count. Basically aluminum rims with a fairing. Hed hubs. No problems with them so far. These are not our everyday wheels. We also have a set of American Classic 420's- and an old set of Mavics on ultegra hubs. We mostly use the 420s. team weight 250-260 lbs- hed does make a "stallion: build with a weight limit of 225lbs.
    Thanks for the response. How are the 420's holding up! How many spokes do they have?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    not enough
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DubT View Post
    Thanks for the response. How are the 420's holding up! How many spokes do they have?
    The 420s are great! I think the spoke count is 18 and 24. It's not the spoke count that makes these so strong and stiff. It's the 34mm deep aluminum rim. Also, the deep rim acts as a heat sink for descending. A lot of Paketa tandems (with 300 lb + teams) are using the AC 420s with great success.

  10. #10
    Senior Member wheelspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek T2000
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :drool:

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swamptandem View Post
    The 420s are great! I think the spoke count is 18 and 24. It's not the spoke count that makes these so strong and stiff. It's the 34mm deep aluminum rim. Also, the deep rim acts as a heat sink for descending. A lot of Paketa tandems (with 300 lb + teams) are using the AC 420s with great success.
    Good information, thanks!

  12. #12
    Senior Member waynesulak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX
    My Bikes
    650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
    Posts
    1,576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size / brand of tires do you run on those wheels?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    not enough
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waynesulak View Post
    What size / brand of tires do you run on those wheels?
    These wheels are actually just some demos. The tires on the Jet9s are Vittoria CX corsa 23mm- We use same tire in a 25mm on our A/C 420s. If we buy some Jet9s, we will use the 25mm Vittoria CX Corsa. The Cx Corsa has a TPI of 320. Awesome smooth and fast tires.

    The Jet9s are very fast. At speed they just want to roll. We rode with 5 other bikes on Sunday for 60 miles and averaged over 25mph for two hours solid. Sometimes pulling at 30+mph. No problems with crosswinds either. The wheels were very stable.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A true work of art/engineering!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, Colorado
    My Bikes
    1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of comments:

    Wow - 25 mph avg for 2 hours. That's fast!

    Regarding the tires: my experience is that tires would be a small effect. 25 mph avg for 2 hours is mostly due to the motor(s).

    You say 5 other bikes - singles, tandems? Were you sharing pulling or were you pulling most of the time?

    Nice bike!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    not enough
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldacura View Post
    A couple of comments:

    Wow - 25 mph avg for 2 hours. That's fast!

    Regarding the tires: my experience is that tires would be a small effect. 25 mph avg for 2 hours is mostly due to the motor(s).

    You say 5 other bikes - singles, tandems? Were you sharing pulling or were you pulling most of the time?

    Nice bike!
    Hi, thanks! The other bike were singles. My wife and I are not big powerhouses. I'm 146lbs,and she is 106lbs. A good bike, wheels and tires really do help.

    There was a rotation. But we were able to do a lion's share of the work. I guess it's a tandem thing.

  17. #17
    Tandem Vincitur Ritterview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
    Posts
    3,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swamptandem View Post
    We rode with 5 other bikes on Sunday for 60 miles and averaged over 25mph for two hours solid. Sometimes pulling at 30+mph.
    Gee, that is a pretty fast peloton! On Saturday, at the Tour of Romandie, US Champ Taylor Phinney also averaged over 25 mph (25.6 mph) in the 103 mile Stage 3. Mark Cavendish won the relatively flat 104 mile Stage 1 of the 2010 Tour of California last May averaging 25.4 mph. So, over 25 mph for two hours is a UCI race type speed!

    Even for tandems, 25 mph for two hours is fast. At the 2010 US Nationals 20 km Time Trial, the fastest mixed team tandem had a time of 31:21, or 23.8 mph.

    Did anyone on your ride have a Garmin? It would be great to see the upload for that ride, so the rest of us can see just what fast is.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Homeyba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did 118miles once in 4:45 out of Davis. I was on my single with about 10 others hanging on for dear life behind 5 tandems. In all my years of cycling that's the fastest I've covered that distance. My RAAM team averaged over 25mph across Kansas (400+miles) in 06 but we had hellatious tailwinds fueled by tornados (or visa-versa). Yeah, it's fast but doable...
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterview View Post
    Gee, that is a pretty fast peloton! On Saturday, at the Tour of Romandie, US Champ Taylor Phinney also averaged over 25 mph (25.6 mph) in the 103 mile Stage 3. Mark Cavendish won the relatively flat 104 mile Stage 1 of the 2010 Tour of California last May averaging 25.4 mph. So, over 25 mph for two hours is a UCI race type speed!

    Even for tandems, 25 mph for two hours is fast. At the 2010 US Nationals 20 km Time Trial, the fastest mixed team tandem had a time of 31:21, or 23.8 mph.

    Did anyone on your ride have a Garmin? It would be great to see the upload for that ride, so the rest of us can see just what fast is.
    In 1993 we (myself and a good friend) raced in the Fresca Road Championships in the Tandem Men 90+ class. Our time for the 40 K was 58:42.80 the winning time was 54:03.94. This was an out and back course.

    It would be interesting to know the course that they were able to ride 25 MPH for 2 hours on. It almost sounds like a tailwind assisted ride. If they can ride an out and back course that fast for two hours they should start training for the 2011 Tandem National Championship.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    not enough
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterview View Post
    Gee, that is a pretty fast peloton! On Saturday, at the Tour of Romandie, US Champ Taylor Phinney also averaged over 25 mph (25.6 mph) in the 103 mile Stage 3. Mark Cavendish won the relatively flat 104 mile Stage 1 of the 2010 Tour of California last May averaging 25.4 mph. So, over 25 mph for two hours is a UCI race type speed!

    Even for tandems, 25 mph for two hours is fast. At the 2010 US Nationals 20 km Time Trial, the fastest mixed team tandem had a time of 31:21, or 23.8 mph.

    Did anyone on your ride have a Garmin? It would be great to see the upload for that ride, so the rest of us can see just what fast is.
    I think one of the guys did have a GPS. I'll have to check it out next time I see him. That won't be until May 14th-15th as we are out of town this weekend. If he saved that ride data, I'll have him send it to me. If not, we'll do it again soon as we do that ride almost every weekend since we got the tandem. You'll see, it's very flat terrain. Easy to hold speed.

    TT nationals is probably hilly. Whole different animal. I really don't think we ride at National level.

    We will be doing a century ride with the "GPS" guy on the 15th of this month. Maybe we can get him to keep that ride data for for us?

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, Colorado
    My Bikes
    1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best we ever averaged was 19.7 mph for about 48 miles (by ourselves). Rolling hills but no real climbing. We've tried to come close to that speed several times since and can't come close. Don't know what was right that day. As the years go by, it seems unlikely that we will ever be able to repeat that.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Rye Brook, NY
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Custom, Calfee Tetra Tandem, Habanero
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterview View Post
    So, over 25 mph for two hours is a UCI race type speed!
    25 mph also average for top Ironman pros, for 4.5 hours with no drafting.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, Colorado
    My Bikes
    1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another topic: When you bought this bike, what directed you toward magnesium? I assume you considered carbon fiber as well.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    not enough
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldacura View Post
    On another topic: When you bought this bike, what directed you toward magnesium? I assume you considered carbon fiber as well.
    I wanted smooth ride, stiff frame, with great durability and lightweight. I believe the mag is more durable than carbon and aluminum. I had the opportunity to ride a Paketa single bike. I was very impressed. It rode better then my ti Moots, and my carbon Specialized Roubaix single bikes. I was sold. The tandem was ordered.

    My wife and I love this bike! I would not trade it for any ti, carbon, aluminum, or steel tandem out there. The ride, handling and acceleration are just awesome!

    Let me add, Paketa's customer service is outstanding. Very happy with our purchase. As another plus, Paketa is hand built in the USA!

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, Colorado
    My Bikes
    1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was given a "factory tour" by Dave - one of the Paketa founders. He lives (or lived) about 2 miles from me. About 2 years ago it was in a barn in Lafayette, Colorado. I think they may have since expanded to larger facilities. They basically just found a company that will extrude magnesium using custom dies, order the tubing, cut to length, cope the ends and weld in a jig. Really no different from aluminum or steel. Pretty neat to see low-volume manufacturing still surviving in the US.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •