Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-11, 08:05 PM   #26
DubT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
David at Nimble (www.nimble.net) told me that in a few months he will have a new rim that will be strong enough for tandem use. He has ridden and raced tandems so he knows what kind of wheels will and will not work.
DubT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-11, 08:17 PM   #27
diabloridr
Senior Member
 
diabloridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Coast, California, USA
Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900, Trek 9800
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesulak View Post

For us I want a greater margin of safety than single wheels provide however if I were riding a flat 20 mile time trial on a good road and we were highly motivated I can see taking the risk to buy just a little more speed. The questions are: what is your risk tolerance and at what price speed?
Actually, for a *FLAT* 20 mile time trial, safety vs. speed would not really be a consideration, since the design must be optimized for aerodynamics, not weight.

Designing for hill climbs, rolling terrain, crits, etc is whole 'nother proposition.
diabloridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-11, 09:52 PM   #28
Dean V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloridr View Post
Actually, for a *FLAT* 20 mile time trial, safety vs. speed would not really be a consideration, since the design must be optimized for aerodynamics, not weight.

Designing for hill climbs, rolling terrain, crits, etc is whole 'nother proposition.
The number, type, and shape of spokes influences the wheels weight and aerodynamics. To make the wheels stronger with more spokes and/or round spokes will also cost you in aero drag.
What you say would be true though for wheels like discs and tri spokes.
Dean V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 06:39 AM   #29
waynesulak
Senior Member
 
waynesulak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Bikes: 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloridr View Post
Actually, for a *FLAT* 20 mile time trial, safety vs. speed would not really be a consideration, since the design must be optimized for aerodynamics, not weight.

Designing for hill climbs, rolling terrain, crits, etc is whole 'nother proposition.
I agree. I should not have said FLAT.

Wayne
waynesulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 10:18 PM   #30
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Woznick, Fairwheel
I’ve done some pretty light tandem wheels, the lightest being a King 145 on Enve 45 tubulars with 28 DB spokes in the rear. This is for a pair weighing about 280 pounds. But again these I wouldn’t recommend for most people.

I also wouldn’t feel comfortable recommending your wheels [ENVE carbon clinchers] to others. It’s not necessarily a strength issue that I have with them so much as a braking issue. I still really think carbon clinchers with rim brakes is not a good thing on a single bike, but can be really dangerous on a tandem. The King/Enve 45 set we built was tubular rather than clincher and used disc brakes rather than rim brakes.


Fairwheel has a Flickr site, and some new tubular tandem wheels were just posted in their gallery. This may be the wheels Jason refers to, although the spokes are Sapim CX.



Chris King/Enve tandem wheelset

The rear hub is a 28h 145mm spaced King disc hub laced 3x with Sapim cx-speed spokes. The front is a King Classic hub 28h also laced 3x with cx-speed spokes. The cx-speed spokes are stiffer and stronger version on the cx-ray.





Chris King 145mm Tandem disc hub

Cool finned disc mount





Chris King 145mm Tandem disc rear hub, Enve 45mm tubular rim and Sapim cx-speed spokes.





Chris King Classic front hub, Enve 45mm tubular rim and Sapim cx-speed spokes.
Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 03:35 AM   #31
PMK
Senior Member
 
PMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
The number, type, and shape of spokes influences the wheels weight and aerodynamics. To make the wheels stronger with more spokes and/or round spokes will also cost you in aero drag.
What you say would be true though for wheels like discs and tri spokes.
So being curious, where do middle of the spectrum wheel builds fit? Number of spokes / wheel aerodynamic profile / and weight?

PK
PMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 03:38 AM   #32
PMK
Senior Member
 
PMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritterview View Post
Fairwheel has a Flickr site, and some new tubular tandem wheels were just posted in their gallery. This may be the wheels Jason refers to, although the spokes are Sapim CX.



Chris King/Enve tandem wheelset

The rear hub is a 28h 145mm spaced King disc hub laced 3x with Sapim cx-speed spokes. The front is a King Classic hub 28h also laced 3x with cx-speed spokes. The cx-speed spokes are stiffer and stronger version on the cx-ray.





Chris King 145mm Tandem disc hub

Cool finned disc mount





Chris King 145mm Tandem disc rear hub, Enve 45mm tubular rim and Sapim cx-speed spokes.





Chris King Classic front hub, Enve 45mm tubular rim and Sapim cx-speed spokes.
I was recently asked to repair a carbon tubular Zipp wheel. This was a rental race wheel from my friends shop. Having seen the Zipp damaged tubular, and damage assessed / repaired carbon clincher rims , I will say the tubulars should be ridden with a delicate touch and reasonable amount of tire (protection) unless the terrain is very smooth.

Nice wheels, we could not ride them, but nice none the less. I hope the owners get many trouble free miles from them.

PK
PMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.