Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I installed my Inline Gear Indicator!

    I picked up a inline gear indicator and after a bit of web surfing felt confident about doing the install. Still a newbie at working on our bikes.
    The problem I encountered was how to get the cable out of the Ultegra STI shifter. I started taking apart the little covers but could not see how to access the cable. So a call to the LBS and load up the Speedster and up to the LBS I head. The guy there was not sure how to remove the cable as he had never had to replace one. But he called a sister shop and got the answer. By this time I was thinking about just having him complete the job. But Russ said,'Hey, you took my Maintenance Class you can handle this". So I load the Speedster back up and head home. After taking careful measurements,I am a woodworker so I Always Measure Twice & Cut Once, I unwrap the bartape cut the cable housing do the install and IT worked!
    Now no guessing when we our out riding

  2. #2
    Trail Blazing NoTrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    My Bikes
    Roubaix, Epic, Source 11, Stumpjumper, Cannondale Tandem
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it worked out. Congrats.
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix | Specialized Epic Expert | Specialized Source Eleven | Cannondale Road Tandem 2
    Watch the video of my West Coast Tour | Quest For Payne Website

    LIVESTRONG THINKSTRONG BESTRONG

  3. #3
    pedallin' my life away
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    handbuilt tandem from Santana tubeset, 1976 Le Grangot frame road bike, Montague biframe folding mtn bike, rebuilt Schwinn Twin Doo-Dah tandem, garage-built beater recumbent
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have these too, and LOVE em. I may put them on my single as well. But on the tandem it's a huge help for the obvious reason.

    I put one into both the front and rear derailleur cables. I know ... I should be able to remember where I am on the front, and/or feel from speed vs cadence. But it is SO easy with the indicator and I couldn't find a reason not to.

    "Why work, when there's a reasonable alternative?"

  4. #4
    Senior Member wheelspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek T2000
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do look nice to have. I'd like one too but you make me nervous about finding out how to remove the cable from the Ultegra index shifter.

    Can you tell us the secret?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After I disconnected the cable splitter,I have S&S couplings, I pushed the cable forward. The "ball" end came out the bottom of the shifter! I would never have found that without the help of my LBS guy. Also after I rolled the hood forward I had to remove some of the tape,from the bar tape install, to be able to direct the cable with a small screw driver. After that it was very easy to complete.
    I also took this opportunity to see how to replace a brake cable should the need arise while we are touring. I just needed a "0" phillips screw driver. I went out today a bought a cheap one for the tool kit.
    So as far as installing it was quite easy after figuring out how the cables ran.

  6. #6
    Gear Combo Guru Chris_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    My Bikes
    Spec' Tarmac (road), Spec' Secteur Disc (commuter & tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder), a train pass, and NO car :)
    Posts
    2,046
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe the guy at your LBS didn't know how to remove the cable from a modern STI shifter. Are you sure that shop is worth visiting again?

  7. #7
    Trail Blazing NoTrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    My Bikes
    Roubaix, Epic, Source 11, Stumpjumper, Cannondale Tandem
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_W View Post
    I can't believe the guy at your LBS didn't know how to remove the cable from a modern STI shifter. Are you sure that shop is worth visiting again?
    That's a very good question.
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix | Specialized Epic Expert | Specialized Source Eleven | Cannondale Road Tandem 2
    Watch the video of my West Coast Tour | Quest For Payne Website

    LIVESTRONG THINKSTRONG BESTRONG

  8. #8
    Bill G Bill G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_W View Post
    I can't believe the guy at your LBS didn't know how to remove the cable from a modern STI shifter. Are you sure that shop is worth visiting again?
    A Typical for more shops than you would think now days. My bikes & Tandems that I own never go back to the LBS for anything. All my Co Motions were delivered to the LBS in the box unasembled by request to Co Motion by phone when I ordered them. They were then delivered to the LBS left in the box un-touched. I picked them up and built them up my self my way. The proper way by spec, no scratchs or LBS shop mistakes like we leaned it up against another bike or missed with an allen wrench and put a scrape or scrach in the paint or that was not quite adjusted or installed right kind of thing going on. Even with a factory production bike such as my Giant Carbon road bike, Giant Hybrid bike, my Trikes I take them all home tear them down to the bare frame and put them all back together right, you would be supprised what you find wrong and out of spec... Some are going to rake me over the coles but my bikes are perfectly build and look, shift and perform at there best.

    Ride Safe,
    Bill G
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Co-Motion Custom Primera Tandem (AKA The Marrage Counselor)
    da Vinci Custom Joint Venture 700 Tandem (AKA The Marrage Therapist)

  9. #9
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    Senior Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    My Bikes
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
    Posts
    1,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
    A Typical for more shops than you would think now days. My bikes & Tandems that I own never go back to the LBS for anything. All my Co Motions were delivered to the LBS in the box unasembled by request to Co Motion by phone when I ordered them. They were then delivered to the LBS left in the box un-touched. I picked them up and built them up my self my way. The proper way by spec, no scratchs or LBS shop mistakes like we leaned it up against another bike or missed with an allen wrench and put a scrape or scrach in the paint or that was not quite adjusted or installed right kind of thing going on. Even with a factory production bike such as my Giant Carbon road bike, Giant Hybrid bike, my Trikes I take them all home tear them down to the bare frame and put them all back together right, you would be supprised what you find wrong and out of spec... Some are going to rake me over the coles but my bikes are perfectly build and look, shift and perform at there best.

    Ride Safe,
    Bill G
    So then I must ask, and I agree with your logic to building your bikes, how often does each bike see a full teardown to the bare except for removing headset cups?

    PK
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster, flat bars, discs and carbon fibre fork, size 22 / 19
    2006 Ventana ECDM full suspension mountain tandem
    Some single bikes and a couple of KTM's
    And most important, someone special that enjoys them with me (except the KTM's)

  10. #10
    Bill G Bill G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    So then I must ask, and I agree with your logic to building your bikes, how often does each bike see a full teardown to the bare except for removing headset cups?

    PK
    Only if needed based on natural ware and milage or mishap. Most all my bikes have sealed bearings the few that don't get serviced every year. Rear hub freewheel serviced every year. I keep an eye on things and repair, replace as needed other than maintaining wear items, chains, brakes, cables, cable housing and so on.

    I keep them blown off with air and wiped down with a damp soft cloth after every ride so there is no dirt build up. Drive trains are maintained to a tee and kept clean. They are not ridden in the rain so again no build up or hidden rust. They are stored covered with bike covers.

    All threads on frame and components built with a special high tec anti sieze and the bottom brackets installed with a special teflon tape and anti sieze lubricant eliminates any squeaks and seals threads from elaments. Built this way there is no issues with corrosion or rust or gaulding of bolts or fasteners in the future life of the bike. Everything is adjusted and torqued to spec. over all they run a long time pretty trouble free other than wear item being replaced as needed.

    To answer your question after the long spill above because of all this a complete teardown to the frame is realy not needed again unless I am doing a comeplete componets upgrade to the bike.


    Ride Safe,
    Bill G
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill G; 05-03-12 at 10:41 PM.
    Co-Motion Custom Primera Tandem (AKA The Marrage Counselor)
    da Vinci Custom Joint Venture 700 Tandem (AKA The Marrage Therapist)

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, pics of the final result please?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will post one today.

  13. #13
    pedallin' my life away
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    handbuilt tandem from Santana tubeset, 1976 Le Grangot frame road bike, Montague biframe folding mtn bike, rebuilt Schwinn Twin Doo-Dah tandem, garage-built beater recumbent
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    ... how often does each bike see a full teardown to the bare except for removing headset cups?
    Like Bill G, I build my own bikes from the frame, for similar reasons. To PMK's question- I built my single in 1976. I did the down-to-the-frame overhaul/rebuild in 2008. There were many maintenance steps in between, as needed. The rebuild was as much to update components as for maintenance. (For example, go to 9-sp cassette, integrated shifters, triple front.) Tho 30 years and tens of thousands of miles approaches or exceeds the "service life" of many components, even good ones. I built the tandem in 1989, and overhauled that in 2009, again as much to update to modern conveniences as for maintenance. I might, or might NOT, have to do another down-to-the-frame on either or both, before I'm gone.

    I worked in a bike shop way back when and I really enjoy doing my own work as well. But then I'm the kind of guy who changes the oil in my cars myself too. Partly cuz I can do it faster+ cheaper than Jiffy Lube. And partly cuz Jiffy Lube (or some such similar) once neglected to tighten the drain plug on my son's car, resulting in it dumping its oil on the approach to the Golden Gate Bridge. That was an interesting phone call. Not that I'm perfect, and all God's people make mistakes once in a while. But
    (a) I care more than the guys in the shop
    (b) I'm the guy who gets to enjoy it, or not, or gets stranded, depending on the quality of work
    (c) I put my family on the bike (not to mention my own sorry keister...) and fly down a hill. I know, they need to limit their liability yadda yadda. But they do that with insurance as much as with care and craftsmanship.

    So yeah I'm happy to know how to do it, enjoy doing it, and enjoy the results. And I understand it doesn't work for everybody too.

  14. #14
    Bill G Bill G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris ss View Post
    Like Bill G, I build my own bikes from the frame, for similar reasons. To PMK's question- I built my single in 1976. I did the down-to-the-frame overhaul/rebuild in 2008. There were many maintenance steps in between, as needed. The rebuild was as much to update components as for maintenance. (For example, go to 9-sp cassette, integrated shifters, triple front.) Tho 30 years and tens of thousands of miles approaches or exceeds the "service life" of many components, even good ones. I built the tandem in 1989, and overhauled that in 2009, again as much to update to modern conveniences as for maintenance. I might, or might NOT, have to do another down-to-the-frame on either or both, before I'm gone.

    I worked in a bike shop way back when and I really enjoy doing my own work as well. But then I'm the kind of guy who changes the oil in my cars myself too. Partly cuz I can do it faster+ cheaper than Jiffy Lube. And partly cuz Jiffy Lube (or some such similar) once neglected to tighten the drain plug on my son's car, resulting in it dumping its oil on the approach to the Golden Gate Bridge. That was an interesting phone call. Not that I'm perfect, and all God's people make mistakes once in a while. But
    (a) I care more than the guys in the shop
    (b) I'm the guy who gets to enjoy it, or not, or gets stranded, depending on the quality of work
    (c) I put my family on the bike (not to mention my own sorry keister...) and fly down a hill. I know, they need to limit their liability yadda yadda. But they do that with insurance as much as with care and craftsmanship.

    So yeah I'm happy to know how to do it, enjoy doing it, and enjoy the results. And I understand it doesn't work for everybody too.
    Great points and my take on the hole thing is the same as yours, I to know this approach is not for everyone. I to enjoy working on them as much as riding them and take great pride in the way they look and perform. When your at a club ride and someone goes is that new when did you get it and you say no I have had it for several years and there jaw drop's, kinda makes it all worth it in a funny way. (Don't get me wrong here) as you look over at there new bike that looks like it's been thrown in the rocks 20 or thirty times and all through the ride they have shifting issues or other problems, in there deffence this stuff may not be that important to them and that's ok by me. I don't mean to sound high and mighty here but I do not like these kinds of problems on long outings or like to spend the kind of money spent on a good bike today and not take care of it, it is like pulling my teeth with pliers if I don't take care of them..

    And like you said my family & wife the most important things trust me and that bikes ability to keep us safe on it, Tandems go fast and they need to be in top shape all the time..

    I just do not feel you get the attention to detail that I demand over all out of the LBS.

    Ride Safe,
    Bill G
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill G; 05-04-12 at 07:48 AM.
    Co-Motion Custom Primera Tandem (AKA The Marrage Counselor)
    da Vinci Custom Joint Venture 700 Tandem (AKA The Marrage Therapist)

  15. #15
    Bill G Bill G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandem Tom View Post
    I will post one today.
    Yes pic's would be great Tom, I have never installed one in all these years of cycling and doing my own work.

    Sorry about the slight Hi Jacking of your post about the lack of smart's, detail and care at LBS shops and us guys that do our own work, my apologies to you friend..

    Ride Safe,
    Bill G
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill G; 05-04-12 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    Co-Motion Custom Primera Tandem (AKA The Marrage Counselor)
    da Vinci Custom Joint Venture 700 Tandem (AKA The Marrage Therapist)

  16. #16
    Senior Member waynesulak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX
    My Bikes
    650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
    Posts
    1,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect a lot of people on this list are like me. I believe in building our bikes from the frame up.

    Our first tandem was ordered through a tandem specific dealer with specific instructions not to cut the fork steerer period. I made sure I saw the manager right it on the order sheet. After waiting quite a while for the bike with a custom paint job I made the one hour drive to the shop and guess what the steerer was cut - too short. To their credit the shop agreed that they were at fault and the guy who built the bike up didn't read the order sheet. Not surprising since he also put the 45cm stoker drop bars on the front and the 42cm captain's bars on the stoker stem! I was able to make it work with an up slanting stem and choose not to make them order another fork. We would have had to send the original fork back for paint matching so who knows how long the wait would have been.

    As far as maintenance goes I would rather trust my work since I am the one risking my skin when bombing down a hill. I don't clean my bike after every ride but do check critical items like brakes, tires and cable before riding. Try to wash it and give it a complete check about once a week (100-150 miles). My feeling is that if it is has quality components durable enough for the job and is assembled properly then the bike should function a much longer time without any service except chain lubrication as needed.

    I used to baby it but don't really go in for the new bike look anymore. Doesn't bother me if the the hoods and saddles show some wear (not tear) from thousands of miles of riding. A few scratches are going to happen from rocks and such. For me the tandem is for go not for show.
    Last edited by waynesulak; 05-04-12 at 11:44 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pic off Inline Gear Indicator

    001.jpgHere is a pic of the inline gear indicator.
    I hope this works . This is my first time attaching a pic.

  18. #18
    Bill G Bill G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandem Tom View Post
    001.jpgHere is a pic of the inline gear indicator.
    I hope this works . This is my first time attaching a pic.
    Tom that looks pretty nice, looks like you did a fine job.

    Ride Safe,
    Bill G
    Co-Motion Custom Primera Tandem (AKA The Marrage Counselor)
    da Vinci Custom Joint Venture 700 Tandem (AKA The Marrage Therapist)

  19. #19
    Clipless in Coeur d'Alene twocicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Tandem, Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, other misc Road & MTB singles
    Posts
    1,051
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllezDada View Post
    OP, pics of the final result please?
    FWIW, this is working great on a 10spd Ultegra setup and does not interfer with hand positions on the bars or other do-dads. Besides visibility, the biggest concern is some form of strain relief on the cables at both ends of the indicator, otherwise it will break.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by twocicle; 05-04-12 at 04:21 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pic. Looks very nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandem Tom View Post
    001.jpgHere is a pic of the inline gear indicator.
    I hope this works . This is my first time attaching a pic.

  21. #21
    Senior Member CaptainHaddock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    PDX!
    My Bikes
    Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandem Tom View Post
    Here is a pic of the inline gear indicator.
    I hope this works . This is my first time attaching a pic.
    Ah! I had been confused about how you achieved this. It gives me something to work with for my own inline indicator desires. Thanks!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,510
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a readout at least as precise built right into the trigger shifters that came standard on our Raleigh Coupe. I was hoping this Inline Gear Indicator would actually tell you what cog you were on. The IGI as pictured and our Shimano Trigger Shifters are better than nothing at all, but short of buying a 'Flight Deck' computer, is there anything more accurate than these indicators?

    H

  23. #23
    Clipless in Coeur d'Alene twocicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Tandem, Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, other misc Road & MTB singles
    Posts
    1,051
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    I've got a readout at least as precise built right into the trigger shifters that came standard on our Raleigh Coupe. I was hoping this Inline Gear Indicator would actually tell you what cog you were on. The IGI as pictured and our Shimano Trigger Shifters are better than nothing at all, but short of buying a 'Flight Deck' computer, is there anything more accurate than these indicators?

    H
    Hire a Carnac as your stoker...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    pedallin' my life away
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    handbuilt tandem from Santana tubeset, 1976 Le Grangot frame road bike, Montague biframe folding mtn bike, rebuilt Schwinn Twin Doo-Dah tandem, garage-built beater recumbent
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have these on our tandem and FWIW on our bike, they DO reliably tell you exactly which cog you're on. You can't see it so well from Tom's pictures but "live and in person" it's really very easy to read, and it tracks with which cog 100%.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am considering one for the chain ring. Sometimes I just get a brain fart and cannot remember!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •