Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Trek T200

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trek T200

How would you rate the frame for ride and handling compared to something like a newer Cannondale. Stiff, whimpy, slow or fast steering? 310 lbs team. Just bought one on the cheap and waiting for the wife to try it out. Hope wheelset with trek 48 spoke rim , reliable if properly tensioned?

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a T100 and it holds up just fine under a pair of riders that weighs a lot more than that.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
    I have a T100 and it holds up just fine under a pair of riders that weighs a lot more than that.
    Do you get bottom bracket deflection under hard pedaling and how does it like cornering, does it push in tight corners?
    Last edited by Fred Smedley; 06-09-12 at 06:13 PM.

My Bikes
    "97 Nashbar TweeTee, '94 Trek T100, '95 Univega Via Montega, '08 Trek 1.2, '09 Trek EX8, '00 Trek R200 Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our size large T-100 carves turns like a good road bike even with the upright/hybrid possition. The frame has good vertical compliance with little detectable side BB deflection. Our team weight is about 330.

Steel is real!
    '97 Nashbar TweeTee
    '94 Trek T100
    '95 Univega Via Montega
    '08 Trek 1.2
    '09 Trek EX8
    '00 Trek R200 Recumbent
    Skatebike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had one quite some time ago. 330-340 lb team, at the time. Nice frame, handled very well, solid feel when we stood on hills. Main issue was too tight stoker cockpit. It was the "correct" size for us, but designed with a pretty short rear top tube. Stoker complained about unnatural position (compared to her single) and having her face right in my back. The really good thing was that it was our first tandem and got us into what has become our main leisure activity (not always so leisurely).

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Do you get bottom bracket deflection under hard pedaling and how does it like cornering, does it push in tight corners?
    Nothing I've noticed, but my wife is a beginner and we don't ride very aggressively. Yet.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    www.2nd-cycles.com
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have had a '92 T100 (the same frame) for several months. I like the bike...it is steel, fairly utilitarian, and I do intent to change it to drop bars in the front. I will say that I like the handling of our '79 Sanata ALOT better. I find the Trek needs more steering correction. I have not noticed pushing through corners, and BB flex does seems to be about the same for both bikes. However, you can unusally find the Treks for a fraction of the price foe a similar Santana.
    "Where you come from is gone;
    where you are headed weren't never there;
    and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found I need a new rear wheel on the T100 after a ride Sunday morning. Not unexpected maintenance on a 20 year old bike. Wheel went out of true and I also noticed some eyelets around the spoke nipples were popped out and sliding around on the spokes. It appears those are a major part of the system that fastens the spoke nipples to the rim, so check that out carefully. I can post some pics this evening if you want to know what to look for. Someone local offered to sell me some good but inexpensive rims he stocked up with on clearance, so I'll just need to buy spokes and have a new wheel built up around the existing hub.

My Bikes
    1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, GT, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our T50 (T50, 100 and 200 have the same frame) feels stiff, no wobbles and very stable with us (500+lbs team). We have had it to 25mph on the level - very stable. It has the original Trek Titanium Matrix wheels.
    Nigel
    Mechanical Design Engineer

My Bikes
    Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot speak to the T200, but I do ride a cannondale RT2, and it is very stiff. However, unless you're really crushing those peddles (i.e. team output of more than 500watts) you simply are not going to feel frame flex on anything but the very most flimsy / low quality frames. Frame flex is a boogieman.

My Bikes
    650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
    I cannot speak to the T200, but I do ride a cannondale RT2, and it is very stiff. However, unless you're really crushing those peddles (i.e. team output of more than 500watts) you simply are not going to feel frame flex on anything but the very most flimsy / low quality frames. Frame flex is a boogieman.
    I believe that there is a lot of variation in different people's sensitivity to frame flex. I know that I can feel the difference between a CoMotion Speedster, from a Santana Arriva from a Santana Noventa. I know this because I tried each over many miles on the same course. These are all high quality steel frames and our team is not a high power team. Team age 109, team weight 290. They are all good frames but they feel different to me just like various golf clubs and baseball bats feel different.

I do agree that some people can't feel a difference. Feel is one area that it is always appropriate to say "your mileage may very"