Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Tandem Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cycling/)
-   -   35 degree stoker stem (http://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cycling/875233-35-degree-stoker-stem.html)

Bad1 12-12-13 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocicle (Post 16325657)
Thank you so much Bad1 (aka CbadRider).
Not that the last sentence violated any forum rule (as technically no one mentioned selling anything), but just for your reading pleasure I removed the last 4 words because that was an offer of sorts. Cheers.


BTW as far as (aka Chadrider) thats not me!

twocicle 12-13-13 10:03 AM

Oh, self elected hall monitor then?

Not sure if this will also violate your sense of 4-Sale notices, but for others here is a 25% OFF voucher/coupon code "NOEL" for anything at 3tcycling.com until the end of Dec/13. That is a handy discount on the Arx II stem mentioned above, or otherwise.

Bad1 12-15-13 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocicle (Post 16326811)
Oh, self elected hall monitor then?



Not sure if this will also violate your sense of 4-Sale notices, but for others here is a 25% OFF voucher/coupon code "NOEL" for anything at 3tcycling.com until the end of Dec/13. That is a handy discount on the Arx II stem mentioned above, or otherwise.

No not really, just that you should have enough respect to support the forum that gives you the Opportunity to bloviate so much!

twocicle 12-15-13 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad1 (Post 16331228)
No not really, just that you should have enough respect to support the forum that gives you the Opportunity to bloviate so much!

This is your example then?

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post16096827
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad1 (Post 16096827)
I've got a pair for sale low mileage, less than a year on lightly used if interested c***c@bendbroadband.com

Perhaps stick to constructive contributions on topic.

Turbotandem 01-20-14 09:24 PM

dean bikes custom stoker stem
 
4 Attachment(s)
custom Dean Bikes ti stem attached. It took a long time for them to get this thru their queue. Really beautiful work, welding, clamp mechanisms. This one was a reject mis-fabed in angle, but fits on a friends tandem. Dean will make in any angle or length. Ti gauge is adjusted to suit length. This one is 250mm, 225-230 grams. Aluminum face plate, aluminum bolts. This one was made for 31.8mm bars, but is mounting up old school narrow bars on which shims have been added. Price about $250. Plan to be exacting on the how the length and angle are spec'd so it is sure to be correct. Dean provides drawings and bases fabrication on an angle perpendicular to the seat post. This dry run first issue stem has helped them understand the right questions to ask tandem teams. Expect it to take some time to get thru their small shop.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360568http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360569http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360570http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360571

Chris_W 01-21-14 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbotandem (Post 16427659)
Dean provides drawings and bases fabrication on an angle perpendicular to the seat post.

So that would be the same method of measurement as used on nearly all stems, then. Since head and seat tube angles can vary, it's the only one that makes sense.

twocicle 01-21-14 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_W (Post 16427954)
So that would be the same method of measurement as used on nearly all stems, then. Since head and seat tube angles can vary, it's the only one that makes sense.


The photo shown with the tape measure may be a bit misleading, since the tape is layed along the bottom of the stem. Given the photo, the stem appears to be 10.5" = 10.5 * 2.5cm = roughly 262.5mm.


I believe the correct measurement point that should be shown is along the centerline of the stem length, starting from the center of the steerer/seatpost clamp and extending through to the center of the bar clamp. This would yield more like 10" = 10 * 2.5cm = 250mm as claimed.

The latter method is used by most all stem mfr.

---

DaVinci also has Ti stoker stems available in 3 sizes: 160mm, 180mm, and 200mm lengths for $220. They claim 188gm for what I assume is the 160mm.

DubT 01-21-14 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbotandem (Post 16427659)
custom Dean Bikes ti stem attached. It took a long time for them to get this thru their queue. Really beautiful work, welding, clamp mechanisms. This one was a reject mis-fabed in angle, but fits on a friends tandem. Dean will make in any angle or length. Ti gauge is adjusted to suit length. This one is 250mm, 225-230 grams. Aluminum face plate, aluminum bolts. This one was made for 31.8mm bars, but is mounting up old school narrow bars on which shims have been added. Price about $250. Plan to be exacting on the how the length and angle are spec'd so it is sure to be correct. Dean provides drawings and bases fabrication on an angle perpendicular to the seat post. This dry run first issue stem has helped them understand the right questions to ask tandem teams. Expect it to take some time to get thru their small shop.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360568http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360569http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360570http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360571

i started this this thread and here is part of what I said. Here are the numbers.

new Trial Tech stem 35 degree X 180 long 243 grams. This stem only costs $55 and I have not replaced the stock bolts. $250/225 grams vs. $55/243 grams with stock bolts. Granted the Ti one is 250mm long. For most applications I would think something like the Trial Tech would be more than adequate. A 250mm long stem seems to be extremely long.

Turbotandem 01-21-14 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubT (Post 16428911)
i started this this thread and here is part of what I said. Here are the numbers.

new Trial Tech stem 35 degree X 180 long 243 grams. This stem only costs $55 and I have not replaced the stock bolts. $250/225 grams vs. $55/243 grams with stock bolts. Granted the Ti one is 250mm long. For most applications I would think something like the Trial Tech would be more than adequate. A 250mm long stem seems to be extremely long.

yes, well aware of the trial tech stem. The trial tech stem is not new, is often quoted in this forum, including by me. In fact I have had several for more than a year, with ti replacement bolts as well. Thanks for repeating earlier posts in this thread. At the same time there are others in this forum seeking a longer or steeper alternate. I didn't realize this thread was exclusively dedicated to one-solution-fits-all the trial tech stem.
For those who need, the trail tech often comes up short in steepness of the angle. For my 5'-4" stoker, 220 to 250mm (depending on chain or belt length tandem) is about right. For others with a very tall stoker, the angle needs to be more like 60 degrees to place the stoker bars at a point immediately behind the captains seat or even above it. Dean Bikes is working on just such a stem for a tall stoker now. For those reasons I think the Dean Bikes information I have offered is a positive contribution to the forum.

Turbotandem 02-18-14 01:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another Dean Stem for a team in WY, for a tall stoker in back.
"The Dean stem is a work of art. It is beautiful and I think it is light at 185gm for its size. Our 2 piece setup we were using was 505gm..I am not sure it put's Aimee's bars exactly where I wanted, but that is not Dean's fault. Through this process, I have learned that if I was going to do it again I would make an exact template of what I want, more for me, so I could make sure I had the bars positioned correctly, before ordering. I tried to do it by measuring alone, and I think I was off by just a bit. Also it would be good to know the size tubing being used, ahead of time, to allow the right amount of relief on the saddle clamp screws, etc. All in all, we are very pleased, and like I say the stem is a work of art!!"
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=364858http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=364859http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=364860

thride 12-11-14 11:58 PM

twocicle,

Do you still have this stem (3t Arx II 150 mm 31.8 mm clamp)? Is it a +/- 17 degree?

3T does not seem to make it anymore and I am trying to source one.

twocicle 12-13-14 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thride (Post 17382936)
twocicle,

Do you still have this stem (3t Arx II 150 mm 31.8 mm clamp)? Is it a +/- 17 degree?

3T does not seem to make it anymore and I am trying to source one.

Yes I do have that stem and with those specs.

If searching for it, take note it is the ARX II TEAM version that is made with the 150mm option.

thride 12-28-14 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocicle (Post 17387265)
Yes I do have that stem and with those specs.

If searching for it, take note it is the ARX II TEAM version that is made with the 150mm option.

Twocicle, do you know of any shops that stock that stem? I've checked and it doesn't seem like it'll be coming into stock either at the distributor or even 3T themselves for a while. 150 length 6 or 17 degree will work. Or, is yours in use? If not, want to sell it?

twocicle 12-29-14 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thride (Post 17420333)
Twocicle, do you know of any shops that stock that stem? I've checked and it doesn't seem like it'll be coming into stock either at the distributor or even 3T themselves for a while. 150 length 6 or 17 degree will work. Or, is yours in use? If not, want to sell it?

Yes, I see the "Temporarily out of stock" on the 3T website. It's a nice stem, so my bet is they will have more soon. I plan to keep ours, but would sell it for $1M ;)

Turbotandem 05-17-15 12:23 PM

Just arrived but a bust: The KCNC Arrow stem stamped as 150mm is shorter than my 3t ARX II team 140mm stem.

Turbotandem 11-20-15 01:31 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Just completed 195mm 30 degree stoker stem, custom carbon and alum. 190g with ti hardware. Had targeted 175g to match our out-of-production Bob Davis Carbon stem 192mm stem, but as a prototype the fabricator chose to over shoot the weight a little to be more stiff. Took about 2 weeks. I provided a 100mm Ritchey base stem which was cut and lightened. Fabricated by Velo Zephyr. $200-$225 not including the $55 cost of the Ritchey. For my stoker, this one is about 3/4" to 1" longer than the Trial Tech, on a frame that is belt length, and she won't ride anything shorter and feel comfortable for the ultra-endurance rides we do. Keep your stoker happy! Velo Zephyr is considering putting this up on their web site with a form for dialing in the desired dimensions, using 7, 17, 20, 30 degree base stems if there is an interest beyond my own need.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=489189http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=489190http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=489191http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=489188http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=489194http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=489193http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=489192

mtseymour 11-20-15 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubT (Post 15342574)
The important thing about stoker position is that they have to be comfortable and must be in a position where they enjoy the ride. If the position is not the same as their single bike but they are happy then that is the important thing.

My stoker does not ride a single bike which makes life simpler for me.
Wayne

My stoker is happier and faster when she's comfortable.

It took a while to get her a good riding position. It was a challenge because my wife has a longer inseam while I'm slightly taller. We started with a 180mm trials stem with 35 deg rise and went to 200mm Da Vinci ti stem to reduce the reach. As part of our tandem fit, Charlie Heggem at Cirrus Cycles suggested a higher rise stoker stem.

To test this suggestion, we attached the Aber Hallo stem to our Da Vinci. The Aber Hallo provides about 2" of height adjustment and can be rotated to change the reach. It's only $40, but requires a shim to go from 25.4 to 31.8mm. Once we found the sweet spot, we asked a local framebuilder to make a 1-piece titanium stem to duplicate the new position. The new stem makes brings her bar to the same height as her saddle, and is far more comfortable. It's close to her single bike setup. The bonus is that our new stem is light and looks pretty good.

2frmMI 02-10-16 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtseymour (Post 18335201)
---looks pretty good.

So say you... How about a picture?

mtseymour 02-10-16 11:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2frmMI (Post 18525307)
So say you... How about a picture?

We were using a DaVinci 200mm ti stem (painted red to match our frame) with Aber Holla extension. My wife really like the higher bar position but the combo was heavy (440g) and was only compatible with 25.4mm handlebar. The new DeKerf stem is unusual because it's made of curved ti tubing to provide the right length and rise. I created a template to confirm the measurements before fabrication. I talked to various ti builders (incl DaVinci) about a custom stem and they were either too expensive or would only weld two straight tubes together. Chris Dekerf told me that the ti tubing was very difficult to bend (with this wall thickness) and it had to filled with a special fluid to minimize crimping. It has enough stiffness (even at 240g) and looks pretty good IMHO. It's currently waiting to be painted black to match our natural carbon frame.http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=503797http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=503798http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=503799

2frmMI 02-10-16 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtseymour (Post 18526084)
looks pretty good IMHO.

OK. Now I'll say it: looks pretty darned good, even before painting!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 PM.