Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-13, 11:28 AM   #1
DubT
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sebring Tandem Rally - GPS files

We are going to the Sebring Tandem Rally and I asked if GPS files were available and was told that they were not. I really like to have the ride data loaded on my GPS unit. Bob Thompson was kind enough to send me the route sheets for each ride and to the best of my ability I have converted them into GPS files. The files are located on www.ridewithgps.com and are all public. They are called Sebring Tandem Rally with each day stated along with the mileage.

Wayne
DubT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 02:16 PM   #2
PMK
Senior Member
 
PMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubT View Post
We are going to the Sebring Tandem Rally and I asked if GPS files were available and was told that they were not. I really like to have the ride data loaded on my GPS unit. Bob Thompson was kind enough to send me the route sheets for each ride and to the best of my ability I have converted them into GPS files. The files are located on www.ridewithgps.com and are all public. They are called Sebring Tandem Rally with each day stated along with the mileage.

Wayne

Wayne, FWIW, Bob does a great job with route sheets. We ride it from the sheet and have a lot of fun.

PK
PMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 09:34 PM   #3
DubT
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
Wayne, FWIW, Bob does a great job with route sheets. We ride it from the sheet and have a lot of fun.

PK
i used Bob's route sheets to generate the GPS files. A couple of years ago we were on an out of state ride and missed a turn and were lost for several miles. I made up my mind then that on our next out of state ride I would have a GPS unit on the bike and if possible have the route on the GPS. Last year we were on a ride again out of state and did have the GPS files on the unit and we were thankful that we did as someone had removed some of the route markings.

We are really looking forward to escaping the cold here in Illinois.
DubT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 11:07 PM   #4
PMK
Senior Member
 
PMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubT View Post
i used Bob's route sheets to generate the GPS files. A couple of years ago we were on an out of state ride and missed a turn and were lost for several miles. I made up my mind then that on our next out of state ride I would have a GPS unit on the bike and if possible have the route on the GPS. Last year we were on a ride again out of state and did have the GPS files on the unit and we were thankful that we did as someone had removed some of the route markings.

We are really looking forward to escaping the cold here in Illinois.
Understand.

Here's one good thing, you aren't riding from a painted arrow on the ground, or course arrows. Panthers events are done via the route sheet.

Yes we did have one time of confusion when someone stole or borrowed a street sign, but we easily sorted it out. Maybe one other time where mileage was off a bit, but again no big deal. For all the hundreds of miles laid out and run from the paper sheets, plus the great group of riders, it is a lot of fun.

The route sheets are easy to use, never hurts to bring a big spring clip, and make sure you have a means to track miles. Speed is less important.

When do you arrive and where else do you have finalized plans to ride.

PK
PMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 05:44 AM   #5
DubT
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
Understand.

Here's one good thing, you aren't riding from a painted arrow on the ground, or course arrows. Panthers events are done via the route sheet.

Yes we did have one time of confusion when someone stole or borrowed a street sign, but we easily sorted it out. Maybe one other time where mileage was off a bit, but again no big deal. For all the hundreds of miles laid out and run from the paper sheets, plus the great group of riders, it is a lot of fun.

The route sheets are easy to use, never hurts to bring a big spring clip, and make sure you have a means to track miles. Speed is less important.

When do you arrive and where else do you have finalized plans to ride.

PK
We will arrive on Thursday, spend Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights in Sebring and then we will spend 3 nights in The Villages and head north on Friday the 29th.

Wayne
DubT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 05:47 AM   #6
Artmo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SW Florida
Bikes: '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; 2014 Cannondale T2 tandem
Posts: 1,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
We'll be there on a Cinnamon (Burnt orange) CoMo Macchiato . Looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for the GPS files. I prefer them, because my stoker can't read lists when we are riding!!!
Artmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 05:53 AM   #7
DubT
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
We'll be there on a Cinnamon (Burnt orange) CoMo Macchiato . Looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for the GPS files. I prefer them, because my stoker can't read lists when we are riding!!!
i hope that they are accurate, Bob has given them a once over and said they looked pretty good to him. They do get us back to the Hotel and cover the prescribed distance. I was a little shaky on the exact location of the rest stops. We are really looking forward to coming.
DubT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 09:17 AM   #8
PMK
Senior Member
 
PMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Overall, I wouldn't worry too much. The Panthers group has a wide mix of riders / teams and abilities. Some ride long distances, some shorter distances, speed wise, most times groups form, so riding alone or a far distance from others can, but doesn't always happen. (Yes we have done it a couple of times but survived).

The local weather for us, South of Sebring has been pretty good. A bit more wind than we like but whatever. Hopefully it will hold out for next weekend. 80 and sunny with light winds would be welcome by us.

JK&PK
PMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 02:50 PM   #9
PMK
Senior Member
 
PMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We survived the Sebring weekend.

Saturdays 60 mile route was a lot of fun, especially the rolling twisty sections.

Sunday had a slight breeze. The Sunday short route was fun with some short climbs and again a few rolling twisty sections.

This team had a fun time. I heard about one crash and hope all is well with those riders.

PK
PMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 04:00 PM   #10
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubT View Post
We are going to the Sebring Tandem Rally and I asked if GPS files were available...
Well, some are now, thanks to a participant on Strava!


03/24/2013 Sebring Tandem Rally

03/23/2013 Sebring Tandem Rally
__________________

Strava Tandem Club
Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 04:42 PM   #11
PMK
Senior Member
 
PMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritterview View Post
Well, some are now, thanks to a participant on Strava!


03/24/2013 Sebring Tandem Rally

03/23/2013 Sebring Tandem Rally
I did sign us up on Strava but have not taken any time to post any rides yet.

Maybe one of these days.

PK
PMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 01:09 PM   #12
Artmo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SW Florida
Bikes: '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; 2014 Cannondale T2 tandem
Posts: 1,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Nice to meet Wayne+wife and to be able to put face to name. Your GPS files were very helpful, thanks, Wayne.
We had a good two days riding, Friday being out because of a-fib.
Unfortunately on Sunday within about 4 miles from the end, a female tandem team from Sarasota crashed on a railroad crossing. We were trying to catch them when they came down at speed. The captain, president of SMBC, sustained a head cut requiring stiches and the stoker, who was unconscious for a short time as we ran to her, cracked her pelvis and broke her clavicle. Several cars stopped to help and a local driver called
911 as we were not sure of our exact location. EMT were on the scene very quickly and took the two unfortunates to the local medical center.
Artmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 01:38 PM   #13
waynesulak
Senior Member
 
waynesulak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Bikes: 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
Posts: 1,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Do you have any idea of the cause of the crash? Did they blow a tire? Track on a corner or not 90 degree to road?
waynesulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 02:13 PM   #14
PMK
Senior Member
 
PMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesulak View Post
Do you have any idea of the cause of the crash? Did they blow a tire? Track on a corner or not 90 degree to road?
Tracks were not @ 90. Additionally it was into a moderate head wind.

PK
PMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 07:46 PM   #15
Jakspot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was great meeting Wayne and family (ate dinner with you all at the banquet Saturday) as well as Paul & Jeane (rode with you all on the way back Sunday). It was also a pleasure to see Arthur & Maureen again. It was our first Sebring tandem rally and the wife and I had a great time. We hope the two unfortunate souls involved in the accident have a quick and speedy recovery. With luck, the injuries will heal quickly and hopefully the nerves aren't too rattled to scare anyone away from getting back on the proverbial "horse."
Jakspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 03:45 PM   #16
DubT
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are back in Illinois after our hiatus to Florida. We truly enjoyed the Sebring Tandem Rally and thoroughly enjoyed associating faces with names and meeting new teams.

We did spend 4 nights in The Villages and also enjoyed it very much, what a nice neat place. We have never been anyplace that was so well kept. If you want to retire to an area where the people are friendly and active this would be the place, there was something going on all of the time. We did not ride with the locals as they left to early in the morning. The time we were there it was in the upper 30's low 40's in the mornings, we waited until later in the day to ride, by then it was in the 60's.

Wayne
DubT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 PM.