Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: More Spinergy

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Gypsum, CO
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Team Fly Titanium 29er Mt Bike,, Cannondale Road Tandem
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    More Spinergy

    I am about to take possession of a set of Spinergy Xyclone 29er disc mt. bike wheels. What's your opinion about their suitability to use on my Cannondale Road Tandem?

  2. #2
    Clipless in Coeur d'Alene twocicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Tandem, Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, other misc Road & MTB singles
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your Cannondale Road have dual disc? If so, great.

    If not, then you'll need some time for rim calipers to wear away the paint on the rim brake track and meanwhile the calipers may not grip well (ie: long stops in dry, no stops in wet). Or, scrub the paint off yourself beforehand.

    When you get them, toss some photos in this thread.

    Those wheels should handle anything you can throw at them on the road tandem. Plus with the wider rim, you should be able to lower your tire pressure by some 10% and get a more comfortable ride, and better tire profile, etc (all those benefits discussed in the 19mm rim thread).
    Last edited by twocicle; 05-20-13 at 09:17 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Gypsum, CO
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Team Fly Titanium 29er Mt Bike,, Cannondale Road Tandem
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, dual discs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume they are spaced at 135? Is your tandem rear 145?
    no signature

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Gypsum, CO
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Team Fly Titanium 29er Mt Bike,, Cannondale Road Tandem
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twocicle View Post
    Does your Cannondale Road have dual disc? If so, great.

    If not, then you'll need some time for rim calipers to wear away the paint on the rim brake track and meanwhile the calipers may not grip well (ie: long stops in dry, no stops in wet). Or, scrub the paint off yourself beforehand.

    When you get them, toss some photos in this thread.

    Those wheels should handle anything you can throw at them on the road tandem. Plus with the wider rim, you should be able to lower your tire pressure by some 10% and get a more comfortable ride, and better tire profile, etc (all those benefits discussed in the 19mm rim thread).
    My hope is to get a better ride for my stoker and a little lighter weight wheelset. The are 23mm wide (as I recall) so, as seems to be the general consensus, wider is better. I am going to use them primarily on a mountain bike so I will have to swap out disc rotors to use them on the tandem but that is not too big of job. Both are 9 speed so I will try using the mt. bike cassette for the tandem, too. Both will be brand new drive trains.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Gypsum, CO
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Team Fly Titanium 29er Mt Bike,, Cannondale Road Tandem
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfcas View Post
    I assume they are spaced at 135? Is your tandem rear 145?
    It is a 2005 model, I do not know the rear drop out spacing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2005 Cannondale was spaced at 145.
    no signature

  8. #8
    Clipless in Coeur d'Alene twocicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Tandem, Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, other misc Road & MTB singles
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.cyclist View Post
    It is a 2005 model, I do not know the rear drop out spacing.
    Yeah, I assumed your mtn tandem and road tandem had matching frame spacing, and that the wheels ordered were spaced accordingly. It may be a little late, but get out the tape measure and verify the gap between your rear dropouts on both tandems, and review your new wheel specs.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Gypsum, CO
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Team Fly Titanium 29er Mt Bike,, Cannondale Road Tandem
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me clarify....I purchased these wheels to use on my single mt. bike. I thought maybe I could use them on the tandem. If the spacing is wrong, the, of course, I can't use them on the tandem. I will still use them on the single.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •