Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-13, 10:51 PM   #1
Bad1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Upgrading Macchaito tandem to 11 speed Dura Ace 9000

Now that Ulterga 6800 is slowly being released, I want to use the RD mid length cage off the Ulterga to run the 6800 11-32 cassette, my question is will the mid length cage bolt up to the 9000 RD body?
Bad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 11:22 PM   #2
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad1 View Post
Now that Ulterga 6800 is slowly being released, I want to use the RD mid length cage off the Ulterga to run the 6800 11-32 cassette, my question is will the mid length cage bolt up to the 9000 RD body?

I don't know. But if you find someone that does know for Shimano, ask them if the same goes for Campagnolo Athena long cage and Super Record RD. The Athena long cage RD allowed me to use a 52-39-28 drivetrain, and shifts better, but I'd sorely like to have my SR RD returned, but sporting the longer Athena cage.


__________________

Strava Tandem Club
Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 11:00 AM   #3
waynesulak
Senior Member
 
waynesulak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Bikes: 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like your have both RDs. Take them apart and see if the Athena cage will work on the Record?

The "technical documents" on the Campy site seems to just cover installation and adjustment but there is a good explosion diagram of the RD in the parts catalog at the link below:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp
waynesulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 12:54 PM   #4
DubT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad1 View Post
Now that Ulterga 6800 is slowly being released, I want to use the RD mid length cage off the Ulterga to run the 6800 11-32 cassette, my question is will the mid length cage bolt up to the 9000 RD body?
Why don't you use the new Ultegra 6800 RD that is designed to be used with the 11-32 cassette? Are you running a triple or a double?
DubT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 01:08 PM   #5
Bad1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubT View Post
Why don't you use the new Ultegra 6800 RD that is designed to be used with the 11-32 cassette? Are you running a triple or a double?
Will be running a double as soon as the Ulterga RD arrives with 11-32 cassette, just waiting on those two items two weeks out before switching all component
Bad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 01:41 PM   #6
DubT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad1 View Post
Will be running a double as soon as the Ulterga RD arrives with 11-32 cassette, just waiting on those two items two weeks out before switching all component
what double will you be running?
DubT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 02:49 PM   #7
Bad1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubT View Post
what double will you be running?
Will be using Lightning crankset with Praxis mid-compact 52-36
Bad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 02:58 PM   #8
Bad1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad1 View Post
Will be using Lightning crankset with Praxis mid-compact 52-36
Also in regards to the RD I'd like to use that Dura Ace for its lighter weight and smoother shifting
function with the 6800 mid cage if possible, if not will run a Dura Ace RD with 11-28 cassette for all local riding areas, and switch over to the Ulterga 6800 RD & 11-32 cassette when we know its going to get steeper.
Bad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 04:50 AM   #9
Chris_W
Gear Combo Guru
 
Chris_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Switzerland
Bikes: Spec' Tarmac (road), Ridley Fenix (commuter & fast tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder)
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad1 View Post
Also in regards to the RD I'd like to use that Dura Ace for its lighter weight and smoother shifting.
I've never detected a shifting advantage of a DA versus Ultegra RD. The shifters certainly feel a little different between the DA and Ultegra, but if you keep the shifters constant and only change the RD then I cannot see that you'll notice a difference. The weight difference appears to be about 30 grams (162 grams vs. 195 grams according to some sources for 9000 vs. 6800), so I wouldn't bother about changing out derailleurs or swapping cages just for that.

Last edited by Chris_W; 07-11-13 at 04:18 PM.
Chris_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 11:06 AM   #10
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W View Post
I've never detected a shifting advantage of a DA versus Ultegra RD. The shifters certainly feel a little different between the DA and Ultegra, but if you keep the shifters constant and only change the RD then I cannot see that you'll see a difference. The weight difference appears to be about 30 grams (162 grams vs. 195 grams according to some sources), so I wouldn't bother about changing out derailleurs or swapping cages just for that.

The difference between SR and Athena RDs is 44 grams (Athena 216 grams and SR 172 grams).

So, Chris_W, I would bother for that (and the SR with its carbon looks a lot better). Any idea whether the Athena cage will bolt onto the SR RD, and if so, how easily?
__________________

Strava Tandem Club
Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 11:27 AM   #11
Bad1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With this build that I am doing I intend to shave off 2# off the existing Macchiato weight, which is 25# with cages & pedals, so I shouldn't do this or I shouldn't do that has no sway in my decision , I am more in tune with "Ritterview" thought process when making a decision such as this!
Bad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 11:30 AM   #12
waynesulak
Senior Member
 
waynesulak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Bikes: 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Athena RD weighed in the link includes the long cage. Transferring it to the Super Record will also replace a short carbon cage with a long aluminum one and transfer some if not most of the 44 grams. Possibly the question should be would you go through the trouble of swapping cages for about 22 grams.

My guess is that it will fit though. I would suspect Campy did not spend the money to design two separate 11 speed RDs for the high and low price points. The usual approach is to substitute individually lighter carbon parts for heavier aluminum using the same design.

Last edited by waynesulak; 07-11-13 at 11:38 AM.
waynesulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 02:19 PM   #13
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesulak View Post
Possibly the question should be would you go through the trouble of swapping cages for about 22 grams.

My guess is that it will fit though. I would suspect Campy did not spend the money to design two separate 11 speed RDs for the high and low price points.
Its the guessing that is the problem. If I could find someone that knew, and knew how to do it, then it would be no trouble at all...child's play.

If it saves 22 grams, then I'm all for it. Many a little makes a mickle. And there is no getting around that the SR looks a lot better, not that I care about that a whit.
__________________

Strava Tandem Club
Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 02:42 PM   #14
waynesulak
Senior Member
 
waynesulak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Bikes: 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritterview View Post
Its the guessing that is the problem. If I could find someone that knew, and knew how to do it, then it would be no trouble at all...child's play.

If it saves 22 grams, then I'm all for it. Many a little makes a mickle. And there is no getting around that the SR looks a lot better, not that I care about that a whit.
Your right that guessing doesn't do a whole lot of good. Since no one has come forward with an answer, I suppose the only way we will find out is if someone wants to invest the time needed to give it a try.
waynesulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 03:55 PM   #15
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad1 View Post

Will be running a Lightning crankset with Praxis mid-compact 52-36 double... Ultegra RD... 11-32 cassette.... I intend to shave off 2 lbs off the existing Macchiato weight, which is 25 lb.

I am more in tune with "Ritterview" thought process ...
  • Drop 2 lbs from 25 lb Macchioto....
  • Lighting crankset...
  • Praxis chainrings....
  • Dura Ace > Ultegra
  • Double on tandem, but with wide-spaced cassette...

If you are in Florida, or the Great Plains, or Holland, sure, a double is fine. But if there are hills to climb, and fast riders on on a group ride to keep up with, a double on a tandem with a wide spaced cassette to me is an anathema. This thread features a robust discussion of tandem gearing Di2 double conundrum.
__________________

Strava Tandem Club
Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 04:42 PM   #16
joe@vwvortex
Senior Member
 
joe@vwvortex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vacaville, CA
Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Tandem, S-works 29r, Specialized Tarmac SL4
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking at the Campy catalog for spare parts, there should be no reason that the Athena cage wouldn't mount up as it shares the same tension spring and pulleys at least by part number as the Super Record.
joe@vwvortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 05:15 PM   #17
Bad1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't necessarily call central Oregon flat! Looking out my back yard I see 6-7 different peaks over 8-9 k!
Bad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 05:58 PM   #18
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe@vwvortex View Post
Looking at the Campy catalog for spare parts, there should be no reason that the Athena cage wouldn't mount up as it shares the same tension spring and pulleys at least by part number as the Super Record.
From the Campy parts catalog. The body of the RD in SR is RD-SR120, but I don't see a corresponding number for Athena.



__________________

Strava Tandem Club
Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 06:11 PM   #19
joe@vwvortex
Senior Member
 
joe@vwvortex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vacaville, CA
Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Tandem, S-works 29r, Specialized Tarmac SL4
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritterview View Post
From the Campy parts catalog. The body of the RD in SR is RD-SR120, but I don't see a corresponding number for Athena.



Shouldn't matter IMHO. All the mounting parts share the same part numbers. So I believe it would be safe to assume they would be interchangeable. Of course you would be better off visual inspecting before disassembly.
joe@vwvortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 06:37 PM   #20
Bad1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad1 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call central Oregon flat! Looking out my back yard I see 6-7 different peaks over 8-9 k!
Seems like last year here in Bend all those fine tandem teams gathered here for Nationals, those teams riding Paketa VR2 with "double chainrings" sure cleaned up in the flats!
Bad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 06:48 PM   #21
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad1 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call central Oregon flat! Looking out my back yard I see 6-7 different peaks over 8-9 k!
According to the Strava Heat Map, most of the rides emanating out of the Willamette Valley are to the surrounding hills.



Looks like triple terrain to me!
__________________

Strava Tandem Club
Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 08:20 PM   #22
Bad1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great rides out of that area very scenic, Not in that area though In the Cascade Mtns. Range even steeper.
Bad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 09:41 PM   #23
rahill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Campbell, CA
Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster, Calfee Tetra, Specialized Crux Disc, Serotta Nova Special, Bianchi Pista Concept, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe@vwvortex View Post
Shouldn't matter IMHO. All the mounting parts share the same part numbers. So I believe it would be safe to assume they would be interchangeable. Of course you would be better off visual inspecting before disassembly.
What's difficult about making that conclusion from these diagrams is the cage mounting bolt (the bit that matters) is not called out by part number. Instead we get part numbers that include the cage and the mounting bolt. It's impossible to tell whether the bolt is specific to the cage and derailleur or not. That cage spring (RD-SR008) is a common part, and has been since 9-speed (at least), but that doesn't mean much - it's also used on the Veloce derailleur and that model seems to use a circlip instead of a bolt to hold the cage on!
rahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 06:41 AM   #24
waynesulak
Senior Member
 
waynesulak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Bikes: 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahill View Post
What's difficult about making that conclusion from these diagrams is the cage mounting bolt (the bit that matters) is not called out by part number. Instead we get part numbers that include the cage and the mounting bolt. It's impossible to tell whether the bolt is specific to the cage and derailleur or not. That cage spring (RD-SR008) is a common part, and has been since 9-speed (at least), but that doesn't mean much - it's also used on the Veloce derailleur and that model seems to use a circlip instead of a bolt to hold the cage on!
The connecting bolt may be specific to the cage but if the threading in the body is the same on both then the bolt could be changed with the cage and it would still work.

If the time is spent to give it a try and it does not fit then both RDs can be cleaned lubed and reassembled and no harm done other than time wasted. Personally too much trouble for me considering the small grams saved but if 22 grams is meaningful to the rider then there is little downside to trying it.
waynesulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 08:20 AM   #25
rahill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Campbell, CA
Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster, Calfee Tetra, Specialized Crux Disc, Serotta Nova Special, Bianchi Pista Concept, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesulak View Post
If the time is spent to give it a try and it does not fit then both RDs can be cleaned lubed and reassembled and no harm done other than time wasted. Personally too much trouble for me considering the small grams saved but if 22 grams is meaningful to the rider then there is little downside to trying it.
Agreed, and the SR derailleur certainly looks better.

I suspect the most time consuming part of the process will be tracking down the cage return spring after you undo the bolt and the spring shoots off into some unknown part of your garage.
rahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 AM.