Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-14, 07:59 AM   #1
cdkassner
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Credit Card Tandem Tour

This may not be the appropriate group, but we are a tandem team. My wife and I have been traveling to Spain and Italy the last several years to credit card tour. This year, we are looking for someplace to go in the united states for 10 days to 2 weeks to do the same. We travel light and stay at hotels every night. During the day, we eat breakfast and dinner out and buy items for lunch from a grocery store or market. Are there any suggestions out there for premium places to tour? We shy away from big cities and really like to ride on back-country
routes. We enjoy riding through small towns and villages but want to make sure there is appropriate lodging at the end of the day with nice restaurants. What would you recommend? What has been your best 10 day to two week credit card tour on the tandem? We live in the mountains, so climbing is not an issue. Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.
Cheers!
Dave and Colleen
cdkassner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 08:52 AM   #2
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'd vote for Colorado. Beautiful scenery, challenging climbs. Lots of tourisim, so good options to ride from ski resort to ski resort, or small ski towns.

Another option is the Blueridge Parkway, Skyline Drive in the eastern part of the country.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 09:33 AM   #3
gracehowler
Rod & Judy
 
gracehowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montrose, CO
Bikes: Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We will second Merlin's idea, we are looking into Idaho ourselves for this season, also can recommend Black hills area in South Dakota, just don't go Sturgis week!
R&J
gracehowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 09:51 AM   #4
apage4u
Santana Couple
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mississippi
Bikes:
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take a look at the Natchez Trace.
apage4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 10:00 AM   #5
cdkassner
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's interesting you mention Idaho, I live in the Sun Valley area of Idaho. If you end up touring here, give me a call and if your okay with it, we would join you for a day or two.
Dave and Colleen
cdkassner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 11:05 AM   #6
svwtandem
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming
Bikes: 1981 Gary Fisher Tandem, plus lots of singles
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Northwest corner of Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana (Greater Yellowstone) are great tours. The distances between towns do require a bit of pre planning, so you just can't wing it. There are some organized tours that will give you an idea of some routes.

http://www.cyclegreateryellowstone.c..._overview.html
svwtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 11:27 AM   #7
DKMcK 
I'd rather be riding
 
DKMcK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte NC
Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Klein Palamino, Trek 510
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We will be touring the Finger Lakes are of New York this summer. Here is a link to get started:
http://bikenewengland.com/finger_lakes.html

From the planning and research I've done, it looks very promising.

We live in North Carolina, so I can endorse the Blue Ridge Parkway. Speed limits are 45 and commercial traffic is not allowed. You are riding on the ridges most of the time so the scenery is awesome.
DKMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 01:41 PM   #8
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a tour of Northern California to Solvang I've drawn up. It is 500 miles.

Edit:
If interested in Northern California, you could look into the ACTC's venerable Sierra to the Sea Tour, which is supported. It involves camping, but you can stay in nearby hotels to make it a credit card tour. If not interested in the tour, you could as well use the well-honed route.
__________________

Strava Tandem Club

Last edited by Ritterview; 01-28-14 at 02:15 PM.
Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 02:37 PM   #9
jnbrown
Senior Member
 
jnbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritterview View Post
Here's a tour of Northern California to Solvang I've drawn up. It is 500 miles.

Edit:
If interested in Northern California, you could look into the ACTC's venerable Sierra to the Sea Tour, which is supported. It involves camping, but you can stay in nearby hotels to make it a credit card tour. If not interested in the tour, you could as well use the well-honed route.
My wife and I have done several short tours from San Luis Obispo to Ventura. A longer version could just start further north like Monterey or San Francisco and could include the spectacular ride through Big Sur.
Instead of just sticking to the coast route there are some really scenic roads inland through the central coast wine country.
Riding south of Ventura isn't really worthwhile IMHO.
jnbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 02:53 PM   #10
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur
 
Ritterview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.
Posts: 3,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
My wife and I have done several short tours from San Luis Obispo to Ventura. A longer version could just start further north like Monterey or San Francisco and could include the spectacular ride through Big Sur.
Instead of just sticking to the coast route there are some really scenic roads inland through the central coast wine country.
Do you have an upload of your route that you can provide a link for? It is quite valuable, I think, to see how someone with local or regional information conducts their tour. I could provide a fabulous route from San Francisco to Santa Cruz, but I get fuzzy to the North and South.
__________________

Strava Tandem Club
Ritterview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 03:01 PM   #11
Team Fab
Senior Member
 
Team Fab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Bikes: Comotion Supremo, Trek T1000, Comotion Supremo Triple
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perhaps we need a new thread for routes.
Team Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 05:59 PM   #12
tandem rider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife and I rode around Lake Michigan in '06. We did the entire trip but there are ferries that can be taken to eliminate the cities on the south end of Lake Michigan. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1875&v=Cv

We have also toured the Finger Lakes and ridden parts of the Natchez Trace and they are good suggestions.

Enjoy your trip.
Sheldon and Martha Hall
tandem rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 09:10 PM   #13
WNY tandem
Senior Member
 
WNY tandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster, His & Her Trek Madone singles, Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKMcK View Post
We will be touring the Finger Lakes are of New York this summer. Here is a link to get started:
http://bikenewengland.com/finger_lakes.html

From the planning and research I've done, it looks very promising.

We live in North Carolina, so I can endorse the Blue Ridge Parkway. Speed limits are 45 and commercial traffic is not allowed. You are riding on the ridges most of the time so the scenery is awesome.
We live in the Finger Lake Region and it is our favorite place to ride, but it doesn't work well for credit card touring unless you don't mind staying in the same hotel/motel for more than one night. Being a tourist area, most places (including B&bs) require a minimum two night stay.

DKMcK, when are you planning your trip here?
WNY tandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 09:14 PM   #14
geronimo2000
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Rodriguez, Ibis
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got to put in a plug for the Pacific Northwest - the Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver/Seattle loop is virtually flat and a lot of fun as a credit card tour. The Adventure Cycling Washington National Parks tour is very doable without camping. Eastern Oregon (Pendleton/Wallowa/Baker/Sumpter/John day/Pendleton) is back-country but never too far from a B&B. Oregon Coast? Cascade Lakes? Wine Country? (Now I can't wait for the rainy season to be over...)
geronimo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 09:21 PM   #15
Monoborracho
Senior Member
 
Monoborracho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Deep In The Heart
Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Posts: 2,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What time of year are you planning to tour in the US?
Monoborracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 09:52 PM   #16
cdkassner
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are flexible. We can take a vacation anytime between April 15 and Thanksgiving. We spend the rest of the time alpine skiing.
Dave and Colleen
cdkassner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 07:33 AM   #17
Paul J
Senior Member
 
Paul J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lancaster County PA
Bikes: 1982 Eddy Merckx Campy Super Record, 1995 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campy Centaur, SOMA Double Cross, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandem rider View Post
My wife and I rode around Lake Michigan in '06. We did the entire trip but there are ferries that can be taken to eliminate the cities on the south end of Lake Michigan. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1875&v=Cv

We have also toured the Finger Lakes and ridden parts of the Natchez Trace and they are good suggestions.

Enjoy your trip.
Sheldon and Martha Hall
Sheldon, I really enjoyed reading about your trip last fall, what a wonderful opportunity! We've been thinking of doing the northern part of the Lake Michigan ride with using the ferry from Mi to WI. You should post a journal on the other two rides those are two other possible trips for us. :-)

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Paul and Rachel Jaspers,
Paul J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 11:53 AM   #18
DKMcK 
I'd rather be riding
 
DKMcK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte NC
Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Klein Palamino, Trek 510
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY tandem View Post
We live in the Finger Lake Region and it is our favorite place to ride, but it doesn't work well for credit card touring unless you don't mind staying in the same hotel/motel for more than one night. Being a tourist area, most places (including B&bs) require a minimum two night stay.

DKMcK, when are you planning your trip here?
We will be riding July 27 - August 2. We do have two night stays and doing some loop rides. We're trying to minimize the packing and unpacking. We would love to have you join us. Can I send you our itinerary for warnings or suggestions? I did all the planning and route selection from what I could find on the internet. Being from the area, your review would be much appreciated!
DKMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 10:27 PM   #19
WNY tandem
Senior Member
 
WNY tandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster, His & Her Trek Madone singles, Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKMcK View Post
We will be riding July 27 - August 2. We do have two night stays and doing some loop rides. We're trying to minimize the packing and unpacking. We would love to have you join us. Can I send you our itinerary for warnings or suggestions? I did all the planning and route selection from what I could find on the internet. Being from the area, your review would be much appreciated!
we would love to review your plans and possibly doing a loop with you!

I'll PM you with my email address.

Mike
WNY tandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 09:55 AM   #20
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo2000 View Post
Got to put in a plug for the Pacific Northwest - the Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver/Seattle loop is virtually flat and a lot of fun as a credit card tour. The Adventure Cycling Washington National Parks tour is very doable without camping. Eastern Oregon (Pendleton/Wallowa/Baker/Sumpter/John day/Pendleton) is back-country but never too far from a B&B. Oregon Coast? Cascade Lakes? Wine Country? (Now I can't wait for the rainy season to be over...)
Oregon and Washington are nice. The San Juan Islands are great place to ride. Beautiful scenery, little car traffic because you have to get there by Ferry (go in August to avoid the rain) Oregon Coast is spectacular. There's a loop in the Tilamahook area that goes from Lighthouse to Light house along the coast, with little car traffic because the main road turns inland.

Willamette Valley, particularly around Dundee Hills, is very bucolic, and great wine tasting. ( Think Napa Valley before it was overrun with tourists)

Bend Oregon, and its surroundings is a very cool small city, large town, with great riding, and a very outdoors ethos.

Again, If you do Oregon or Washington, I'd reccomend, August- September to get the least chance of rain.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 03:18 PM   #21
jnbrown
Senior Member
 
jnbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritterview View Post
Do you have an upload of your route that you can provide a link for? It is quite valuable, I think, to see how someone with local or regional information conducts their tour. I could provide a fabulous route from San Francisco to Santa Cruz, but I get fuzzy to the North and South.
Here is something I came up.
We didn't do this exact route on our tour but have done portions of it at some time.
There are a lot of variations to this that could be done.
I would say that the central coast is one of our favorite place to ride.
Would like to try NorCal or even Washington / Oregon but we would have to do a long drive or put our bike in a big box since it doesn't have couplers.

http://ridewithgps.com/users/23749/routes
jnbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 03:34 PM   #22
gsms
Member
 
gsms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: St. George, Utah
Bikes: Gilmour and Cannondale tandem
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
St George Utah to Moab and back is an excellent tour.
gsms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 07:44 PM   #23
dclout
Junior Member
 
dclout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Bikes: Brodie Ronin, Bike Friday Folder, Trek T200 Tandem
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo2000 View Post
Got to put in a plug for the Pacific Northwest - the Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver/Seattle loop is virtually flat and a lot of fun as a credit card tour. The Adventure Cycling Washington National Parks tour is very doable without camping. Eastern Oregon (Pendleton/Wallowa/Baker/Sumpter/John day/Pendleton) is back-country but never too far from a B&B. Oregon Coast? Cascade Lakes? Wine Country? (Now I can't wait for the rainy season to be over...)
We're in Vancouver and this sounds like a great idea. Do you know where I can get some route details?
dclout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 08:43 PM   #24
geronimo2000
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Rodriguez, Ibis
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's a book called "Biking the Great Northwest" by Jean Henderson that's a good starting place (it's from 1995 but the roads haven't changed appreciably.) I used the Puget Sound-Fraser Valley International tour in Woods' "Bicycling the Backroads of Northwest Washington" for a Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver tour. I expect that there are other routes for that one but it's a great ride however you do it. Adventure Cycling Association (www.adventurecycling.org) publishes their set of touring maps and I can recommend the Pacific Coast set and the Washington Parks set.
geronimo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-14, 01:32 PM   #25
briwasson 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia area, Pa., USA
Bikes: Santana Cabrio triplet, Santana Fusion S&S tandem, Co-Motion Mocha S&S tandem, Co-Motion Pangea S&S, Co-Motion Nor'wester S&S, C'dale F2000
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To get ideas for good locations and routes, look through the trips the various commercial outfitters offer. Backroads, VBT, Adventure Cycling, etc. They do the legwork of finding routes with nice stuff to see and good lodging options. Sometimes they will even note the lodging they stay at, making it easy to plan the trip yourself. The only problem is many outfitters now include a lot of van transfers and the like, so you have to take that into consideration.

http://www.backroads.com/biking-trips#USA-header
http://www.vbt.com/Categories/United-States
http://www.adventurecycling.org/guided-tours/
briwasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 AM.