Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Tandem Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cycling/)
-   -   Speedplay maintenance (http://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cycling/932701-speedplay-maintenance.html)

waynesulak 02-03-14 04:59 PM

Speedplay maintenance
 
I am considering moving to Speedplay Zero pedals and have a question for Speedplay users. I see that grease should be pumped in on a routine basis and there is also the possibility of replacing two sealed bearings but not the needle bearing in the pedal body.

What routine have you been using to grease pedal bearing?
Do you replace pedal bearings?

How often to you lube cleat?

geronimo2000 02-03-14 06:38 PM

My wife raves about her speedplay frogs which she has used for the last ten years without ever lubing either pedal or cleats.

Bornco 02-03-14 06:50 PM

We don't use Speedplay Zero's, we use Frogs. As far as greasing them, we did it once each season that we've had them. We rode 3,000 miles this year, probably 2,000 the year before. They didn't really feel like they needed to be greased, we just did it because the manual said to.

We do lube our cleats before each ride. I used to have asthma, so I don't like to use any spray lubricants. We use cheap chapstick and it works great!! We do have to replace the cleats once a season though and they're somewhat pricy at around $30.00 bucks a pop. We went with Frogs over the Zero's, because we have about 10 miles of town riding to get to the country each ride and I like the more secure feeling of the mtn. bike shoes at the stoplights (my wife doesn't unclip) so I'm supporting both of us at the lights with one leg.

My wife had knee problems and I think these have been a definite part of the solution in relieving her pain.

Good luck with whatever you purchase,

Jack

vrooom3440 02-03-14 07:06 PM

I have yet to do any pedal maintenance on my zeros so cannot be of much help there. I guess I am trying to wear them out... because if kept greased properly you should not be able to wear the bearings out. So replacement is just not something I would worry about.

I use the Speedplay lube on the cleats periodically... probably monthly. This teflon-based lube does make the click in smoother. When my daughter got her Zeros she was not able to click in until they were lubed.

The other trick I use it cleat covers from Ebay that can stay on the Speedplay Zeros permanently. The Speedplay covers have to be removed... these actually have a hole in the bottom so you leave them on all the time. WAY convenient and highly recommended.

JerrySTL 02-03-14 07:22 PM

I've been using Speedplay X pedals for years. I'm a Clydesdale so I put a lot of weight on those pedals about 4,500 miles a year.

As far as greasing the bearings, it's only needed about every 1K miles. I found this $6 mini grease gun from Harbor Freight perfect for the job. I use automotive wheel bearing grease and pump in just enough to see grease coming out the other end of the axle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-oz-mi...gun-93486.html

DubT 02-03-14 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynesulak (Post 16465135)
I am considering moving to Speedplay Zero pedals and have a question for Speedplay users. I see that grease should be pumped in on a routine basis and there is also the possibility of replacing two sealed bearings but not the needle bearing in the pedal body.

What routine have you been using to grease pedal bearing?
Do you replace pedal bearings?

How often to you lube cleat?

i thought you were using bebop pedals and liked them. Are you having issues with them? I have to lube the cleats after nearly every ride and if I do they work great.

wayne

waynesulak 02-04-14 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubT (Post 16465912)
i thought you were using bebop pedals and liked them. Are you having issues with them? I have to lube the cleats after nearly every ride and if I do they work great.

wayne

I do like my steel Bebops and think it is superior to Speedplay's plastic design in every way but have two issues:

- After working through my older cleats the newly manufactured ones that I recently purchased seem to have some sort of plating that partially flakes off leaving a mess. I have also had a new pedal not stay engaged. I never had this problem with the older cleats and am afraid the new manufacturing may not be as well done. Have you had any problems with the new cleats?

- I am thinking about the Brim or Garmin pedal power meters that I hope will become available for Speedplay Pedals soon. I really like free float and have no desire to go back to the Look/Shimano pedal design.

Wayne

rahill 02-04-14 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynesulak (Post 16465135)
I am considering moving to Speedplay Zero pedals and have a question for Speedplay users. I see that grease should be pumped in on a routine basis and there is also the possibility of replacing two sealed bearings but not the needle bearing in the pedal body.

What routine have you been using to grease pedal bearing?
Do you replace pedal bearings?

How often to you lube cleat?

The Speedplay recommendation is something like 2,000 miles. On the new ones, that's trivial with the grease port on the end cap. On my older ones (X/2), you have to pry off the end cap and fit an adapter -- prying that thing off is the hardest part of the whole process.

That being said, I don't think I lubricate mine even close to that frequently. One of my pairs has close to 40,000 miles on them and they're starting to show signs of wear -- the stainless parts that engage the cleats are somewhat worn and there's a tiny bit of play in the bearings. For their age, I'm OK with that!

Cleats are a separate issue, just dribble some wax-based lube on them every now and then and you should be fine.

DubT 02-04-14 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynesulak (Post 16466575)
I do like my steel Bebops and think it is superior to Speedplay's plastic design in every way but have two issues:

- After working through my older cleats the newly manufactured ones that I recently purchased seem to have some sort of plating that partially flakes off leaving a mess. I have also had a new pedal not stay engaged. I never had this problem with the older cleats and am afraid the new manufacturing may not be as well done. Have you had any problems with the new cleats?

- I am thinking about the Brim or Garmin pedal power meters that I hope will become available for Speedplay Pedals soon. I really like free float and have no desire to go back to the Look/Shimano pedal design.

Wayne

I had issue #1 , and found out that Bebop had a bad run of cleats. I contacted Erik at VP/Bepop and he sent me a set of cleats under warranty, he also sold me a set from his stock. Erik's phone number is 805-253-2253 and his email is erik@vpcomponents.com

I cannot help with issue #2 . My daughter is however using the power meter system that replaces the crankarm on a crankset designed for a single.

diabloridr 02-04-14 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynesulak (Post 16465135)
What routine have you been using to grease pedal bearing?
Do you replace pedal bearings?

How often to you lube cleat?

We have the similar Speedplay X-pedals on our singles and the stoker position of the tandem.

In our dry environment, pedal maintenance is very minimal, with pedal lubing being done once a year (~ 2000 miles of use)

I've never replaced a pedal bearing, but have replaced the plastic lollipops on 2 sets of pedals, which included all the bearings. In both cases there was significant wear of the lollipops. Replacement took about 30 minutes.

Speedplay will replace lollipops on the X-1 pedals because they want to inspect the titanium spindles, replacement of X-2 and X-3 lollipops can be done by the user.

We lube cleats/pedal bodies every couple of months or if issues with engagement and disengagement are noted.

waynesulak 02-04-14 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubT (Post 16466863)
I had issue #1 , and found out that Bebop had a bad run of cleats. I contacted Erik at VP/Bepop and he sent me a set of cleats under warranty, he also sold me a set from his stock. Erik's phone number is 805-253-2253 and his email is erik@vpcomponents.com

I cannot help with issue #2 . My daughter is however using the power meter system that replaces the crankarm on a crankset designed for a single.

Thanks for the valuable contact info. I will follow up on it.

waynesulak 02-04-14 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahill (Post 16466650)
The Speedplay recommendation is something like 2,000 miles. On the new ones, that's trivial with the grease port on the end cap. On my older ones (X/2), you have to pry off the end cap and fit an adapter -- prying that thing off is the hardest part of the whole process.

That being said, I don't think I lubricate mine even close to that frequently. One of my pairs has close to 40,000 miles on them and they're starting to show signs of wear -- the stainless parts that engage the cleats are somewhat worn and there's a tiny bit of play in the bearings. For their age, I'm OK with that!

Cleats are a separate issue, just dribble some wax-based lube on them every now and then and you should be fine.

I have been using White Lightening on Bebops cleats so I will just move that procedure over to my Speedplay test bike.

rahill 02-04-14 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynesulak (Post 16467004)
I have been using White Lightening on Bebops cleats so I will just move that procedure over to my Speedplay test bike.

Yup, that's what Speedplay recommends (and I've been using for years) too.

twocicle 02-07-14 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynesulak (Post 16465135)
I am considering moving to Speedplay Zero pedals and have a question for Speedplay users. I see that grease should be pumped in on a routine basis and there is also the possibility of replacing two sealed bearings but not the needle bearing in the pedal body.

What routine have you been using to grease pedal bearing?
Do you replace pedal bearings?

How often to you lube cleat?


We have 6 pair of Zeros in use and a couple extra laying around for parts. I use a grease injector gun & marine grease both bought directly from Speedplay.

My greasing routine is hit/miss approximately every 2-3 months heavy use, and much longer for the less used pedals. The correct process is to inject grease and spin the axle until the grease comes out clean from the other end... effectively rinsing out the old & grime. The most difficult & tedious thing about this process is that the plastic port ends tend to pop off the lollipops during high pressure grease injection.

The Zero cleats are far superior to X cleats, not only because of the set screw adjustments, but also that the pedal interface ring rotates inside the cleat and does not grind away on the pedal. I spray these and the pedal "butterfly" interface with Finish Line Dry lube every couple of rides.

If you buy any used pedals, make sure there is no wiggle play in the lollipop/axle. If there is, then it's usually the bearings are shot and time to replace the lollipops (I've tried to replace the bearings but could not remove them without destroying the lollipop).

FYI, the Cro-Mo axle version is only a few grams heavier than the Stainless steel version, latter being some $80 more expensive. Same lollipops & bearing in either version, which is sometimes a good way to get replacement parts cheaper. On my ubber-light racing single, I installed a set of Cro-Mo pedals and never bothered to swap in some stainless axles I have. Too busy riding and too little reason to care at the time.

Open Lateral 02-19-14 05:43 PM

Speedplay Zero is my favorite, but unfortunately you will be walking on the mechanical part since it is on your shoe! We don't use them on the tandem for this reason since we tend to be off the bike more compared to the single bikes.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 AM.