Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 03-31-14, 04:13 PM   #1
Bimmer74

Bikes: 99 Wal-Mart MBK
29-26" Trex T900

Hi all,

I have a used Trek T900. My 8-year-old daughter and I ride it mostly on the local gravel and paved bike-paths. Every once in a while we ride a little single-track.

The bike came with 26" wheels/tires.

I'm interested in 29" wheels for a smoother ride, and I'd prefer big hydraulic disc brakes to the rim brakes.

A 29" wheel/tire is impossible in the rear, obviously, and I'm not ambitous enough to add a caliper mount in the rear, either.

On the other hand, it occurs to me that I could easily replace the front fork with a disc brake-ready rigid 29" fork. Then I'd just need a wheel/tire and a front brake.

I understand that it would slightly change the geometry, but that seems insignificant.

Thoughts?!
Bimmer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 08:45 AM   #2
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........
If you are going with the same width tires; you are looking at changing the angles by about 1 - yes small, but maybe noticeable. On a single, a similar change would result in angle changes in the 2 range which is large.

In USA, this is about a $250- experiment assuming that you have to purchase a fork and a wheel; add more for the disc brake.
nfmisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 11:54 AM   #3
qspencer

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-027 (road), Miracle Bikes MC-286 (cyclocross), 1986 Raleigh Olympian, X-Peria 5200 (tandem)
650B is another option. One of our tandems came with 26" wheels and MTB tires on it and we put road tires on it, but my wife (who captains it with one of the kids) doesn't like the reduced ground clearance. I did some measurements and concluded that a 650B rim would work with the brakes in their current positions (with some reduction in leverage). I ultimately abandoned the idea because it's an inexpensive tandem and there aren't many appropriately inexpensive 650B wheel options out there. I think we're going to just make the bike work for another year and spend some real money on a new tandem next year.
qspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 12:04 PM   #4
waynesulak

Bikes: 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfmisso View Post
If you are going with the same width tires; you are looking at changing the angles by about 1 - yes small, but maybe noticeable. On a single, a similar change would result in angle changes in the 2 range which is large.

In USA, this is about a $250- experiment assuming that you have to purchase a fork and a wheel; add more for the disc brake.
Assuming the 1 degree head tube angle is correct then for me that would be a large difference in handling unless the new fork was designed with more rake than the original. To me the difference in a 73 HT angle and 72 HT angle with soimiliar forks is a large one.

Perhaps upgrading the tires is a cheaper option to explore first.

Compass Bicycles: 26" Tires
waynesulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 02:36 PM   #5
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesulak View Post

Compass Bicycles: 26" Tires
Hi Wayne;

Any idea what the pressure recommendations are for the Compass 26" tires that you recommended? I could not find any recommendation on the website, and thought that I'd ask here first.

Thank you
nfmisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 07:14 PM   #6
waynesulak

Bikes: 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
I am not sure. I use Compass 650B tires on our tandem which I think has the same casing rated at 75 psi. We run 70-80. Compass will respond to emails so I suggest you check with them.
waynesulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 10:13 PM   #7
Bimmer74

Bikes: 99 Wal-Mart MBK
Quote:
Originally Posted by qspencer View Post
650B is another option.
I would have the same problem... 650B isn't any cheaper than 29er. I think a 650B would fit in the rear, but it would be really close, depending on the tire. The City Drifters on there now are only 26x1.5, and there's only 1/2"-3/4" clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesulak View Post
Assuming the 1 degree head tube angle is correct then for me that would be a large difference in handling unless the new fork was designed with more rake than the original. To me the difference in a 73 HT angle and 72 HT angle with soimiliar forks is a large one.

I'm not so worried about slowing down the head tube angle. Having the front of the bike high for me and the rear low for my daughter would be OK, too.

Of course I'll get new tires first (though the City Drifters seem to last forever), but those Compas tires aren't knobby enough. I'm looking at Schwalbe Smart Sam Pluses...
Bimmer74 is offline   Reply With Quote