Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 72 of 72
  1. #51
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    Senior Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    My Bikes
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
    Posts
    1,108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chojn1 View Post
    Monday Morning Progress Report:

    I finished the exterior fiberglass on the base and started the carbon fiber layer of the lids:



    Attachment 379858

    Notice the base in the background. The foam core is 3/4in sheets of insulation glued together, not solid. The next step is to selectively grind out that foam for the reinforcement fiberglass layers around the wheel and the hardware mounts. Then I'll layer on the carbon fiber on the base.

    What is a reasonably priced top coat I can get from Lowe's or Home Depot? I am running a little short on free time.

    CJ
    The photo did not upload.

    Reasonbly priced top coat? I assume you mean a clear paint coat. If time is a concern, use Krylon clear, when you get home, remove it with thinner and finish the case how you like.

    Not sure I answered your question correct. I tried.

    PK
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster, flat bars, discs and carbon fibre fork, size 22 / 19
    2006 Ventana ECDM full suspension mountain tandem
    Some single bikes and a couple of KTM's
    And most important, someone special that enjoys them with me (except the KTM's)

  2. #52
    Senior Member chojn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PK,

    Sorry about that.

    Here you go:

    carbon lid.jpg
    I need a clear coat on the carbon. Just wondering what is easily available to use.

    CJ
    Last edited by chojn1; 05-12-14 at 05:58 PM.

  3. #53
    Senior Member chojn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The carbon on the bases is done. I've also drilled out the holes for the wheels and pull handle. I tried partially clearing out the foam, but it got to be too much work. So, I removed all the foam from the base using a saw and sharp chisel. Here they are being washed.

    base carbon.jpg

    I am out of free time for the next weeks - too many graduations, award ceremonies, and parties. Since it has to sit anyway, I went ahead and ordered some Duratec for the top coat.

    CJ

  4. #54
    Senior Member chojn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things calmed down enough around here for me to finally finish the cases. Here they are getting ready to be packed for our trip next week:

    cases.jpg

    The Duratec layers are great for UV and scratch resistance, but they made the cases too glossy for my wife's taste; we could see our own reflection in the case. So, I added another layer of matte clear to get finish she wanted.

    Two more questions for you:

    1) I printed some stickers for the sides of the cases:

    stickers.jpg

    Do you think they will help or am I wasting my time?

    2) I use Boeshield T9 for lubricant, but I get it in an aerosol can form. Can I pack this in the case for non pressurized flights?

    Thanks,
    CJ
    Last edited by chojn1; 06-04-14 at 06:34 AM.

  5. #55
    Senior Member colotandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chojn1 View Post

    2) I use Boeshield T9 for lubricant, but I get it in an aerosol can form. Can I pack this in the case for non pressurized flights?

    Thanks,
    CJ
    Nice looking cases!

    I don't think you can take the aerosol can. I would use the bottle in liquid form to avoid any potential hassles.

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roseville/Folsom
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1, Trek 7300, Electra Townie 21D
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those came out great! Nice job.

    Are they going to weigh enough to warrant the warning sticker for a heavy object?

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Ak
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra tandem, Ventana ECDM 26, Ventana ECDM 29r, Orbea Orca, Maverick ML8
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow first you build a carbon coupled tandem yourself then these cases you have great fab skills I am envious!!!!!

  8. #58
    Senior Member chojn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colotandem,
    Thanks for the info. I'll order a bottle of the liquid form.

    Vroom,
    The cases are about 40lb each fully packed. I am not sure what weight warrants the warning, but I'm thinking the baggage handlers might be more cautious with those stickers on.

    AK,
    I do enjoy building things. Nice to have a lot help and support here.

    I'll post a follow up on how the cases pack and travel once I get back from the trip.
    CJ

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roseville/Folsom
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1, Trek 7300, Electra Townie 21D
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow 40 lbs each? Glad I am not pedalling your cases up a hill

    I guess at 40 lbs those stickers might make sense. Hope those handles are up to the the task.

    Do the latches lock? That flipped up end is great for fingers but might also catch on other baggage and self-open

    Still some very nice looking cases.

  10. #60
    Senior Member colotandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrooom3440 View Post
    Wow 40 lbs each? Glad I am not pedalling your cases up a hill

    I guess at 40 lbs those stickers might make sense. Hope those handles are up to the the task.

    Do the latches lock? That flipped up end is great for fingers but might also catch on other baggage and self-open

    Still some very nice looking cases.
    vroom3440, I'm surprised that you think that 40 lbs each is a lot. If you know of a lighter way to "fully pack" a tandem in two cases, I'm interested to hear the details.

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roseville/Folsom
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1, Trek 7300, Electra Townie 21D
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stipulated that I have not packed mine yet... but using cocktail napkin engineering:
    I know my bike weighs about 40 lbs (yeah it's a steel frame...)
    So basically 20 lbs of bike per case
    That makes for 20 lbs of "case"

    Of course I have included nothing else inside the box like shoes and helmets and and and... so it comes down to the definition of "fully pack" as you put it. With other stuff it gets a lot easier to meet or exceed 40 lbs each.

    And if my wife packed the cases one of those stickers might not be enough

  12. #62
    Senior Member chojn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My luggages are packed.
    Just for you Vroom: the measured weight of the packed wheel case is 35 lb, and the frame case 39lb. The cases empty are ~15 lb each.
    Packed in my case includes the bike, 2 helmets, 2 pairs of shoes, a mini wheel stand, a mini bike lock, half of my bike tools, spare belt, chains, tubes, tires, spokes, extra grease and lube.
    Over all, I think I only saved about 25 lb from my wooden cases. And no, I am not planning on pedaling these cases anywhere. But now I have wheels, pull handles, and cool looking cases.
    CJ
    Last edited by chojn1; 06-05-14 at 07:35 PM.

  13. #63
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is much better than my Co-Motion Supremo Co-pilot weighed packed. With gear in the S&S cases I had to measure and spread the gear to keep the boxes under the 50 lb each weight limit for free bags on Southwest.

  14. #64
    Senior Member colotandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnelson View Post
    That is much better than my Co-Motion Supremo Co-pilot weighed packed. With gear in the S&S cases I had to measure and spread the gear to keep the boxes under the 50 lb each weight limit for free bags on Southwest.
    This is more like what I was thinking.

    Granted, you can make your fully packed cases weigh less, but you'll likely have some packing materials and gear that will push the weight up. I'd be surprised if S&S cases weigh less than the custom cases noted in this thread. YRMV. I say that 35 and 39 are VERY reasonable weights.

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Ak
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra tandem, Ventana ECDM 26, Ventana ECDM 29r, Orbea Orca, Maverick ML8
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colotandem View Post
    This is more like what I was thinking.

    Granted, you can make your fully packed cases weigh less, but you'll likely have some packing materials and gear that will push the weight up. I'd be surprised if S&S cases weigh less than the custom cases noted in this thread. YRMV. I say that 35 and 39 are VERY reasonable weights.
    I wish I could keep it that low. Our Calfee in SS cases always weigh 48 lbs each with tools and spares shoes and some cloths. i can pack one half of the bike in each case with its corresponding wheel in each case. I take the tires off the wheels for easier packing and allows for TSA to repack easier if needed. Again nice job the best looking bike cases I have ever seen. I do wonder some times if the fragile stickers just invite more scrutiny by TSA and the baggage handlers , sometimes going simple is the best.

  16. #66
    Senior Member Team Fab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    Comotion Supremo, Trek T1000, Comotion Supremo Triple
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to test the strength of your cases fly through Amsterdam. Every time we go there or through there our luggage gets destroyed.

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roseville/Folsom
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1, Trek 7300, Electra Townie 21D
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chojn1 View Post
    My luggages are packed.
    Just for you Vroom: the measured weight of the packed wheel case is 35 lb, and the frame case 39lb. The cases empty are ~15 lb each.
    Packed in my case includes the bike, 2 helmets, 2 pairs of shoes, a mini wheel stand, a mini bike lock, half of my bike tools, spare belt, chains, tubes, tires, spokes, extra grease and lube.
    Over all, I think I only saved about 25 lb from my wooden cases. And no, I am not planning on pedaling these cases anywhere. But now I have wheels, pull handles, and cool looking cases.
    CJ


    Yes I like data

  18. #68
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    Senior Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    My Bikes
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
    Posts
    1,108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look very nice and obviously, as is typical for you, well designed and constructed.

    All the best with them, and hoping they give many trips of pure happiness.

    PK
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster, flat bars, discs and carbon fibre fork, size 22 / 19
    2006 Ventana ECDM full suspension mountain tandem
    Some single bikes and a couple of KTM's
    And most important, someone special that enjoys them with me (except the KTM's)

  19. #69
    Senior Member chojn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks PK, you're too kind. And thank you for all your help in the build.
    We just got back from our first of hopefully many more trips of pure happiness.
    The Adirondacks and Lake Champlain was amazing. We loved the isolated country and forest roads. It was also so much fun to hook up with the folks at the Saranac Lake tandem rally. Tandem people are always such nice people.

    The cases themselves did not fare very well.
    On both the outbound and inbound trip, there were significant surface scratches.
    Luggage after trip.jpg
    One of the latch on the frame case was sheared off. Luckily the carbon layer and the shell structure remain intact. After replacing the latch, I will have to sand down and reapply another clear coat before the next trip. Amazingly, the contents was unscathed which is probably due to the poured foam packing.
    Frame case 1.jpgFrame case 2.jpgWheel case 1.jpgWheel case 2.jpg
    Both cases were easily handled by my wife at luggage claim while I picked up the car. They traveled for free on the outbound flight, but cost us an unexpected $50 on the return due to a cancelled United flight and rerouting through another airline.
    Packing and unpacking took less than 30 minutes.

    CJ
    Last edited by chojn1; 06-20-14 at 05:32 PM.

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roseville/Folsom
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1, Trek 7300, Electra Townie 21D
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool, I really like how the poured foam worked out. No questions how the bike packs in there and no movement of parts. Definitely a post for future reference.

  21. #71
    PMK
    PMK is offline
    Senior Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    My Bikes
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's
    Posts
    1,108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chojn1 View Post
    Thanks PK, you're too kind. And thank you for all your help in the build.
    We just got back from our first of hopefully many more trips of pure happiness.
    The Adirondacks and Lake Champlain was amazing. We loved the isolated country and forest roads. It was also so much fun to hook up with the folks at the Saranac Lake tandem rally. Tandem people are always such nice people.

    The cases themselves did not fare very well.
    On both the outbound and inbound trip, there were significant surface scratches.
    Luggage after trip.jpg
    One of the latch on the frame case was sheared off. Luckily the carbon layer and the shell structure remain intact. After replacing the latch, I will have to sand down and reapply another clear coat before the next trip. Amazingly, the contents was unscathed which is probably due to the poured foam packing.
    Frame case 1.jpgFrame case 2.jpgWheel case 1.jpgWheel case 2.jpg
    Both cases were easily handled by my wife at luggage claim while I picked up the car. They traveled for free on the outbound flight, but cost us an unexpected $50 on the return due to a cancelled United flight and rerouting through another airline.
    Packing and unpacking took less than 30 minutes.

    CJ
    Without going back to read the posts, are the latches sitting proud and caused the problem or did something else remove the latch? Being composite, you could make a simple mod to go with a flush latch. Might not hurt to go with stealth handles also, so the monkeys cant swing the case when loading.

    As for scratches on the clear, that is to be expected, though your method should provide easy touch up.

    Curious if both ways had TSA leave tags inside, showing they opened and inspected the cases / bicycle.

    PK
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster, flat bars, discs and carbon fibre fork, size 22 / 19
    2006 Ventana ECDM full suspension mountain tandem
    Some single bikes and a couple of KTM's
    And most important, someone special that enjoys them with me (except the KTM's)

  22. #72
    Senior Member chojn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PK,
    The latches were raised. I am thinking of making bumpers to recess the latches and the handles. Part of the problem is that the clear coat was too smooth which allows the cases to move too easily around in the luggage compartment. I noticed that when the cases were sliding around in the rental car's trunk. Rubberized bumpers should do the trick.

    I decided to skip the stickers, but it did not make any difference. TSA inspected both cases both ways.
    CJ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •