Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Stoker Barstem

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Rye Brook, NY
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Custom, Calfee Tetra Tandem, Habanero
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Stoker Barstem

    Got a new stoker barstem from Calfee a week or two ago. Looks great, but interesting that heavier than old adjustable stem (Bob Davis) and bars, 439 vs 411 gm. Viper Wing is supposed to be 210gm, so that makes the stem of the barstem almost 230gm.

    IMG_1100.jpgIMG_1101.jpgIMG_1102.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More Bling though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Rye Brook, NY
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Custom, Calfee Tetra Tandem, Habanero
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
    More Bling though.
    Yes, more bling :-)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mburchard View Post
    Got a new stoker barstem from Calfee a week or two ago. Looks great, but interesting that heavier than old adjustable stem (Bob Davis) and bars, 439 vs 411 gm. Viper Wing is supposed to be 210gm, so that makes the stem of the barstem almost 230gm.

    IMG_1100.jpgIMG_1101.jpgIMG_1102.jpg
    Not to bad of a weight for a stroker stem considering da Vinci Designs TI stem is 188g
    Last edited by Bad1; 05-15-14 at 08:50 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your weights are interesting. Here are some weights that I recorded a few months ago.

    your alloy bars must be extremely light!

    Here are the numbers. Alloy bullhorn stoker bars: 410 grams, Carbon Fiber Profile bullhorn bars: 216 grams. Ritchey 120mm 30 degree stem 160 grams, new Trial Tech stem 35 degree X 180 long 243 grams.


    Total weight of the original = 570 grams, Total weight of the new = 459 for a reduction of 111 grams.


    I checked the weight of an adjustable stem and it weighs 370 grams, so I opted for the lighter Trial Tech stem.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Rye Brook, NY
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Custom, Calfee Tetra Tandem, Habanero
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DubT View Post
    your alloy bars must be extremely light!
    They are not alloy. Chopped and inverted Kestrel EMS in a 46cm.

  7. #7
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at least the CF was used to make a broad surface for the stokers hands to rest on , now there needs be some comfortable padding added to that..

  8. #8
    Clipless in Coeur d'Alene twocicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Tandem, Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, other misc Road & MTB singles
    Posts
    1,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mburchard View Post
    Got a new stoker barstem from Calfee a week or two ago. Looks great, but interesting that heavier than old adjustable stem (Bob Davis) and bars, 439 vs 411 gm. Viper Wing is supposed to be 210gm, so that makes the stem of the barstem almost 230gm.

    IMG_1100.jpgIMG_1101.jpgIMG_1102.jpg
    For comparison, we have the Cobra Wing @ 228gm (including cork tape wrap) + 3T ARX II Team stem[/URL] @ 15cm/17degrees weighing 160gm = 388gm total weight, $315 total cost including tape. The Team stem came with a red stripe which I did a hack job painting out using some touchup I had on hand. The stem is attached to seatpost using a black Cane Creek shim.

    P1030831.jpg

    Prefer the looks of yours though.
    Last edited by twocicle; 05-15-14 at 05:09 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    City of Brotherly Love
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland
    Posts
    1,136
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twocicle View Post
    For comparison, we have the Cobra Wing @ 228gm (including cork tape wrap) + 3T ARX II Team stem[/URL] @ 15cm/17degrees weighing 160gm = 388gm total weight, $315 total cost including tape. The Team stem came with a red stripe which I did a hack job painting out using some touchup I had on hand. The stem is attached to seatpost using a black Cane Creek shim.

    P1030831.jpg

    Prefer the looks of yours though.
    How well does that shim hold? I often ride with inexperienced stokes and am concerned that they may try to twist their handlebars.

  10. #10
    Clipless in Coeur d'Alene twocicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Tandem, Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, other misc Road & MTB singles
    Posts
    1,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezalel View Post
    How well does that shim hold? I often ride with inexperienced stokes and am concerned that they may try to twist their handlebars.
    Many people here on this forum use a shim. My impression is that it is easier on the seatpost (prevents gouging) than directly attaching a stem of the same diameter. The slight texture on Thomson posts also helps the shim to grip, but you could use some grip compound on most posts and shims if necessary.

  11. #11
    Gear Combo Guru Chris_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    My Bikes
    Spec' Tarmac (road), Spec' Secteur Disc (commuter & tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder), a train pass, and NO car :)
    Posts
    2,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a shim between our trials stoker stem and the captain's seatpost. The shim certainly doesn't cause a problem because it is the seatpost clamp that is the weakest point in the setup - if the stoker turns the bars (or if I do so when manhandling the bike when stationary) then the whole seatpost, saddle, and bars move together. I'm thinking of putting a double-bolt seatpost clamp on to prevent this from happening so easily.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roseville/Folsom
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1, Trek 7300, Electra Townie 21D
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_W View Post
    ...it is the seatpost clamp that is the weakest point in the setup - if the stoker turns the bars (or if I do so when manhandling the bike when stationary) then the whole seatpost, saddle, and bars move together. I'm thinking of putting a double-bolt seatpost clamp on to prevent this from happening so easily.
    Careful here... just as parts might slip and move too easily it is also possible for parts to not slip and move too hard. Then instead of a benign slip you get a more severe break. Think of that seat post clamp as a fuse to handle overloads and keep you from smoking the entire circuit.

  13. #13
    Senior Member waynesulak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX
    My Bikes
    650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
    Posts
    1,730
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrooom3440 View Post
    Careful here... just as parts might slip and move too easily it is also possible for parts to not slip and move too hard. Then instead of a benign slip you get a more severe break. Think of that seat post clamp as a fuse to handle overloads and keep you from smoking the entire circuit.
    +1 especially with carbon bars

  14. #14
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,072
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the original c/f adjustable stoker stem that Bob Davis developed back in 2003.
    40,000 miles later, it still works great.
    We do have a ti 'glue-on' on it to hang our mini-garage door opener and put on a QR instead of a bolt so we can easily adjust the length of the adjustable stem when another stoker wants a ride. Have had to adjust it only a couple a times a couple millimeters at stoker's request.
    We also utilize the c/f stoker hand rests that Bob made for us when he built the bike.
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Rye Brook, NY
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Custom, Calfee Tetra Tandem, Habanero
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twocicle View Post
    The stem is attached to seatpost using a black Cane Creek shim.
    Which shim? I guess Calfee left it to me to sort out fastening a 1 1/8 stem clamp to a 27.2 seat post. Not very nice, particularly since I sent them the old one to copy, and the new one was not exactly a sale item. If a shim was/is required I would think they could have sent it to me ...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 1/8" = 28.6mm, 28.6 - 27.2 = 1.4mm

    Bikeman Problem Solvers 1.4mm Shim, 27.2 Seatpost to 28.6

  17. #17
    Clipless in Coeur d'Alene twocicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Tandem, Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, other misc Road & MTB singles
    Posts
    1,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mburchard View Post
    Which shim? I guess Calfee left it to me to sort out fastening a 1 1/8 stem clamp to a 27.2 seat post. Not very nice, particularly since I sent them the old one to copy, and the new one was not exactly a sale item. If a shim was/is required I would think they could have sent it to me ...
    Cane Creek Shim-27.2 I.D./28.6 O.D.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Rye Brook, NY
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Custom, Calfee Tetra Tandem, Habanero
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twocicle View Post
    Cane Creek Shim-27.2 I.D./28.6 O.D.
    Robot Check
    Got it, tks. Calfee is sending me one, so maybe they will have already cut to size ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •