Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    13 Volagi, 12 Scott Foil 10, 13 Scott Scale, 10 Ridley xfire, 12 Cannondale Tandem, 06 Raliegh Tandem, 10 Stevenson Tandem
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Looking for options for a drop bar stoker hoods

    Finishing up my Calfee build and was hoping there is a lighter option than Cane Creek stoker hoods that I have on my other tandems. I would to hear what folks are using on their drop bars ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife currently has SRAM 500 brake levers on her drop bars. They are spec'd at 264g for a pair, and my intention was to chop most of the lever blade off and block the pivot action. That should bring them down to around 200g. The Cane Creek pegs are 230g.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine just fashioned carbon replicas of the Cane Creek hoods and wrapped them to a Zipp bar for me. I then had Calfee wrap the bar/stem/captain seat post. The carbon stoker hoods saved just over 200 grams. His name is mark and can be contacted at mandersound@gmail.comStoker 3.jpgStoker 1.jpgStoker 2.jpg

  4. #4
    Senior Member waynesulak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX
    My Bikes
    650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
    Posts
    1,732
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
    A friend of mine just fashioned carbon replicas of the Cane Creek hoods and wrapped them to a Zipp bar for me. I then had Calfee wrap the bar/stem/captain seat post. The carbon stoker hoods saved just over 200 grams. His name is mark and can be contacted at mandersound@gmail.comStoker 3.jpgStoker 1.jpgStoker 2.jpg
    What does that setup weigh?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waynesulak View Post
    What does that setup weigh?
    Stoker 4.jpg
    Ritchey superlogic post, Zipp sl bar, Enve stem Calfee-wrapped

  6. #6
    Senior Member waynesulak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX
    My Bikes
    650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
    Posts
    1,732
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
    Stoker 4.jpg
    Ritchey superlogic post, Zipp sl bar, Enve stem Calfee-wrapped
    Thanks - 416 grams for those without access to picture.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    13 Volagi, 12 Scott Foil 10, 13 Scott Scale, 10 Ridley xfire, 12 Cannondale Tandem, 06 Raliegh Tandem, 10 Stevenson Tandem
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

  8. #8
    Clipless in Coeur d'Alene twocicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra Tandem, Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, other misc Road & MTB singles
    Posts
    1,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I weighed our Cane Creek pegs a couple years ago they were +300gms including all the hardware, not the advertised 230gm. Then after "finger" tightening the clamps, the plastic base cracked. Not my favorite product.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used 3t Sphinx handlebars. They seem ok. Some may not like the look of them though.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southern Cal
    My Bikes
    Serotta Single, Litespeed Ultimate, Cannondale CAAD 4, Calfee Tetra Tandem, Trek 1000 Sold, Santana Arriva, Sold
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to be snide but I have to ask the question….really? Are you a professional racing team? Maybe take 1 less water bottle?

  11. #11
    Senior Member colotandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
    I don't mean to be snide but I have to ask the question….really? Are you a professional racing team? Maybe take 1 less water bottle?
    I'm not sure to whom this "not side comment" was directed, but since I have not chimed in, I know it's not me. I will jump in here and respond though. I think there are many of us on this forum who like to have lightweight bikes. But it all comes down to some kind of balance. The lighter you get, the more $$ it costs and sometimes the durability becomes a factor. I think tandemgeek has said it well before, that we aspire to have some light bike at xx lbs but then load it up with bottles tools etc. This is true. BUT in the event you are doing a hillclimb for time you CAN lose the extra bottle, maybe the tools (maybe some weight of the captain)? maybe the blinkly light or extra tube? But you probably won't forgo the stoker levers or the saddle, seatpost etc. so these basic items all figure into the equation of someone's ideal bike. You are correct, you can ditch a bottle or even lose a few lbs of body weight and be further ahead than shaving grams on stoker hoods.

    I just put a Selle Anatomica on our previously 28 lb tandem It is a bit ironic to put such a boat anchor of a saddle on an otherwise well spec'c (read light) bike. But I can always change it out if I need to drop a few grams.

    One final note. You don't have to be a "professional racing team" to want to go fast and have a light bike... But it sure would be nice to have a sponsor!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Ak
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tetra tandem, Ventana ECDM 26, Ventana ECDM 29r, Orbea Orca, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010
    Posts
    320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colotandem View Post
    I'm not sure to whom this "not side comment" was directed, but since I have not chimed in, I know it's not me. I will jump in here and respond though. I think there are many of us on this forum who like to have lightweight bikes. But it all comes down to some kind of balance. The lighter you get, the more $$ it costs and sometimes the durability becomes a factor. I think tandemgeek has said it well before, that we aspire to have some light bike at xx lbs but then load it up with bottles tools etc. This is true. BUT in the event you are doing a hillclimb for time you CAN lose the extra bottle, maybe the tools (maybe some weight of the captain)? maybe the blinkly light or extra tube? But you probably won't forgo the stoker levers or the saddle, seatpost etc. so these basic items all figure into the equation of someone's ideal bike. You are correct, you can ditch a bottle or even lose a few lbs of body weight and be further ahead than shaving grams on stoker hoods.

    I just put a Selle Anatomica on our previously 28 lb tandem It is a bit ironic to put such a boat anchor of a saddle on an otherwise well spec'c (read light) bike. But I can always change it out if I need to drop a few grams.

    One final note. You don't have to be a "professional racing team" to want to go fast and have a light bike... But it sure would be nice to have a sponsor!
    Even worse we have two Sella Anatomica's on our nice tandem but sure do love the comfort so we all make tradeoff's. We are leaving on a tour in a couple of weeks and I will trade out our pedals for ti versions that are on our mtn bikes. Will it make a difference absolutely not but on the long climbs it may inspire us to work a little harder as we know our bike is as good as it gets. Its a poor mechanic who blames his tools just as a poor rider might want to blame the bike. If I could make a set of carbon stoker rests I would just because!! Kudos to you.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wind Tunnels of Cheyenne
    My Bikes
    Burley Duet [of some unknown year] (the guinea pig); 2001 Ventana ECDM (the project); And always one less than I think I really need.
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, posted this on the wrong thread...

    www.stealthcycling.com lists carbon stoker pegs, advertised weight of 60g, but they've been out of stock forever, so either they are no longer made or they sell out often...Might be worth contacting them if you're looking for something that light.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •