Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member jim10040's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Weatherford/MineralWells Railtrail good on roadie?

    Can one get away with riding the MineralWells to Weatherford rail trail on a road bike? With the skinny little road tires? I've done it on my mountain bike, but I'd like to see how my new (to me) road bike is on distances. Will the crushed gravel shred the tires?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Deep In The Heart
    My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Posts
    2,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride that trail often, every other month or so. The smallest I have ridden has been 1.5' slicks on MTB, equating to 700c x 37. For myself, I think you can ride it on 23 or 25 tires, and I have seen a few people doing so, but I don't think it would be particularly comfortable. Its rough in some places and has a good deal of loose gravel, not to mention horse crap, particularly the eastern part.

    Could one get away with it? Probably. I just don't think it would be much fun on a road bike. It probably won't shred the tires, but there are a lot of better places to ride a road bike with very little traffic.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Plano, TEXAS
    My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone tell me about this trail. Starting point, distance, hills, break points. Any info would be appreciated.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Deep In The Heart
    My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Posts
    2,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaws
    Can anyone tell me about this trail. Starting point, distance, hills, break points. Any info would be appreciated.

    The trail runs about 20 miles, from west side of Weatherford to downtown Minerals Wells. At the 10 mile point is the Garner community trailhead, which has a nice little cafe if its open. There is another trailhead at the state park, but its a huge climb to get up there. There are several places to get on in Mineral Wells and plenty of places to stop and eat.

    On Saturday morning the drug store cowboys can really be a pain on the eastern part of the trail. I stay off that part most of the time. I have had them refuse to yield or allow me around them at all, and I've seen as many as a dozen riders together. Its a real pain, not to mention the turds you have to dodge on the trail.

    Trail is crushed gravel, crosses several FM roads, and runs mostly downhill (slightly) from Weatherford to MW. The high point is about 4 or 5 miles west of Weatherford trailhead.

    Its a $2 fee to use the trail. You can get a ticket for not paying if the TPWD is patrolling it, which they do every day.

    Check the link and go to the Texas State Parks Bike Trails http://www.texasoutside.com/hiking.htm
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 02-22-07 at 02:35 PM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Plano, TEXAS
    My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    The trail runs about 20 miles, from west side of Weatherford to downtown Minerals Wells. At the 10 mile point is the Garner community trailhead, which has a nice little cafe if its open. There is another trailhead at the state park, but its a huge climb to get up there. There are several places to get on in Mineral Wells and plenty of places to stop and eat.

    On Saturday morning the drug store cowboys can really be a pain on the eastern part of the trail. I stay off that part most of the time. I have had them refuse to yield or allow me around them at all, and I've seen as many as a dozen riders together. Its a real pain, not to mention the turds you have to dodge on the trail.

    Trail is crushed gravel, crosses several FM roads, and runs mostly downhill (slightly) from Weatherford to MW. The high point is about 4 or 5 miles west of MW trailhead.

    Its a $2 fee to use the trail. You can get a ticket for not paying if the TPWD is patrolling it, which they do every day.

    Check the link and go to the Texas State Parks Bike Trails http://www.texasoutside.com/hiking.htm


    Thanks for the info, I'll have to try it soon.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Plano, TEXAS
    My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I rode it today. Great ride, GREAT WEATHER, trees budding, cardinals flying evey direction. We rode from the Weatherford trailhead to Lake Mineral Wells Park and back - almost 30 miles. Saw only 4 other cyclists and no equines or hikers. Highly recomend this ride.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Deep In The Heart
    My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Posts
    2,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. It's really a fun place to ride if you bring a snack and drink. I think you'll find weekends on the Weatherford side can be frustrating with the horsemen. Did you get lunch in Garner?

    Maybe we can all meet up sometime.
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 03-09-07 at 10:48 PM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Plano, TEXAS
    My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    Great. It's really a fun place to ride if you bring a snack and drink. I think you'll find weekends on the Weatherford side can be frustrating with the horsemen. Did you get lunch in Garner?

    Maybe we can all meet up sometime.

    Not knowing what to expect, we packed a lunch and used the church picnic tables in Garner. The cafe/store seemed to have a lot of lunch business when we were there.

  9. #9
    Senior Member wtex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great trail, at the right time, you can have it to yourself. You'll pass horse pastures, streams, fields of flowers. Great stuff. I would not ride on skinnies, though.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Arlington,Texas
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done it on both single & tandem with regular road tires. I've seen more Boy Scouts than horses on the trail. It's a deceptively hard ride heading back to Weatherford. Those 2-3% 'railroad' grades kill me!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Deep In The Heart
    My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Posts
    2,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George Handy
    I've done it on both single & tandem with regular road tires. I've seen more Boy Scouts than horses on the trail. It's a deceptively hard ride heading back to Weatherford. Those 2-3% 'railroad' grades kill me!
    And the worst of that grade starts at Garner, going east. I agree, it can be a little deceptive.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

  12. #12
    Senior Member jim10040's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to go from Weatherford to MWells and back...SEEMS easier that way...except that the high point is about 3 miles away from Weatherford...I might be remembering completely wrong. But I agree with y'all, the grades are killer unless you're used to climbing a hill for an hour or so...It's a LONG route.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •