Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-07, 12:58 PM   #26
mike470
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes: Cannondale R900
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yea, I was planning to ride this evening with a friend of mine out across Joe Pool but not sure that's going to happen now. Might have to bust out the trainer tonight. Ha!

Do y'all ride road or mountain bikes? I ride road. How long have you been riding? And where do I compare to your riding levels? I just rode out near where my parents live in NE Texas this weekend and rode 24.75 miles in 1 hr 39 mins and averaged 14.9 mph. Very little wind, probably 50% flat and 50% little rollers.

Mike
R900 Cannondale Road Bike
mike470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 01:34 PM   #27
paperspirit
Hippie Chick
 
paperspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW Texas
Bikes: Magna 15 Speed MB - aka "Donkey"
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride... ummm... *cough* an x-mart mountain bike. It's all I could afford at the moment, but once I get my credit card paid off next year, I will start saving for a decent bike.

I honestly have no idea how fast I can ride or how far - I've gone riding for upwards of 2 hours on paved trails in parks, but I stop frequently to look at butterflies, turtles, and pretty flowers, and other nature-y things

edit: Oh, and I've only been riding (again) since last month. I had bikes when I was a kid, but haven't had one for, oh, maybe 12 years or so now. Maybe 15.
paperspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 03:25 PM   #28
redls1camaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
redls1camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Bikes: trek 6000, 06 Masi alare
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike470
Yea, I was planning to ride this evening with a friend of mine out across Joe Pool but not sure that's going to happen now. Might have to bust out the trainer tonight. Ha!

Do y'all ride road or mountain bikes? I ride road. How long have you been riding? And where do I compare to your riding levels? I just rode out near where my parents live in NE Texas this weekend and rode 24.75 miles in 1 hr 39 mins and averaged 14.9 mph. Very little wind, probably 50% flat and 50% little rollers.

Mike
R900 Cannondale Road Bike
I used to ride mountain for a while. I was not so good at it, crashed way too much. Tore my ACL last year and was un able to do anything for around 8 months. Gained 40 pounds, so I went out and bought a road bike, since running is out of the question for a while. Well I fell in love with the road bike. So I have been riding my road bike for only a few months. Out at white rock on a flat trail with no wind or little, I averaged 17 MPH on 20 miles. dropped down to 15 after that. Hills kill me because of my weight. (trying to work on that) and the wind kills me because im like a sail.
redls1camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 09:26 PM   #29
madmos
Member
 
madmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike470
Yea, I was planning to ride this evening with a friend of mine out across Joe Pool but not sure that's going to happen now. Might have to bust out the trainer tonight. Ha!

Are they allowing bikes over the bridges at Joe Pool? I thought it was restricted because of the road work they are doing. I live about 1-2 miles from the first bridge by the marina and just got a bike last week. The first thing I thought was it would be cool to cut across the lake to that HUGE hill leading into cedar hill. But the guy at the LBS said they are not allowing bicycles across right now.
madmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 11:26 PM   #30
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmos
Are they allowing bikes over the bridges at Joe Pool? I thought it was restricted because of the road work they are doing. I live about 1-2 miles from the first bridge by the marina and just got a bike last week. The first thing I thought was it would be cool to cut across the lake to that HUGE hill leading into cedar hill. But the guy at the LBS said they are not allowing bicycles across right now.
Since when? 3 weeks ago I was riding all over that sucker. I ride with the Texas wheels up and down the Plume (that big honking hill) every Tues and Thurs...
aikigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 08:23 AM   #31
crdean1
Senior Member
 
crdean1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Siena
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperspirit
I ride... ummm... *cough* an x-mart mountain bike. It's all I could afford at the moment, but once I get my credit card paid off next year, I will start saving for a decent bike.

I honestly have no idea how fast I can ride or how far - I've gone riding for upwards of 2 hours on paved trails in parks, but I stop frequently to look at butterflies, turtles, and pretty flowers, and other nature-y things

edit: Oh, and I've only been riding (again) since last month. I had bikes when I was a kid, but haven't had one for, oh, maybe 12 years or so now. Maybe 15.
Paperspirit, an x-mart mountain bike is good enough for me. The fact that you are riding is the important part. Also, the upside is that you have much to look forward to as you progress in your familarity with biking, and as your fitness level increases. Keep in mind that there are many great used bikes in the metroplex that you can save for that don't hurt the pocketbook as much. But at least for now you have something to ride.
crdean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 10:32 AM   #32
madmos
Member
 
madmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigreg
Since when? 3 weeks ago I was riding all over that sucker. I ride with the Texas wheels up and down the Plume (that big honking hill) every Tues and Thurs...

I am not sure as this was second hand from the LBS. I doubted it when he told me. I could have sworn I seen bikes recently crossing the bridges.

So what is Texas wheels? And when on Tuesday and Thursday do you ride that hill? I am just starting out and don't think I am quite ready for that yet but would love to try in a few weeks or so.
madmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 01:17 PM   #33
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On tuesdays we ride it twice, actually. And after that we ride two more even steeper hills...

Texas wheels is a small local club, it's star member being Mark Metcalf, who is a solid RAAM competitor and an animal. We ride Tues and Thurs at 6 leaving promptly from the Joe Pool Marina parking lot. I'll be there tonight on either a blue trk pilot if it's threatening rain, or my lowracer recumbent if it's not.
aikigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 02:38 PM   #34
crdean1
Senior Member
 
crdean1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Siena
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I may join you guys tonight aikigreg, what's the mileage/pace. I really need some hills!
crdean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 03:08 PM   #35
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mileage is 32 and the pace is around 22. If I ride my upright though I'll likely be around 17. Although I see massive storm cells surrounding mansfield and ceder hills, so I'll likely be going to the gym.
aikigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 04:04 PM   #36
paperspirit
Hippie Chick
 
paperspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW Texas
Bikes: Magna 15 Speed MB - aka "Donkey"
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdean1
Paperspirit, an x-mart mountain bike is good enough for me. The fact that you are riding is the important part. Also, the upside is that you have much to look forward to as you progress in your familarity with biking, and as your fitness level increases. Keep in mind that there are many great used bikes in the metroplex that you can save for that don't hurt the pocketbook as much. But at least for now you have something to ride.
Thanks That was pretty much my philosophy going in - just get something to ride, worry about the rest later.

My big challenge right now is figuring out what to do with all these gears. It's a 15-speed, but right now I never change gear. If I do, the pedals feel... too loose? Like I'd have pedal about a million times to go an inch. I really wish there'd been a single speed available when I bought it - that's all I've ever had except a brief stint on a 3 speed once. That I could handle
paperspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 04:45 PM   #37
madmos
Member
 
madmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trust me you will appreciate a few of them gears when you hit an incline 3/4's of the way into the ride. I am a noob myself but find myself switching between the 2 outer front cogs and most if not all of the 9 on the rear throughout my first couple of rides of about 17-20 miles each. If I am on the smaller 4 in the rear I am on the big front and anything above that in the rear I am on the middle front one. Most of the time (80-90%) I am on the large one in the front.

And if I ever tackle that huge hill leading into cedar hill at the lake I may even find a use for that front small inside one
madmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 06:12 PM   #38
paperspirit
Hippie Chick
 
paperspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW Texas
Bikes: Magna 15 Speed MB - aka "Donkey"
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure I will, Madmos Right now I've been mostly in my flat neighborhood. The one "hill" I've caught was a zig zaggy wooden walkway in a park in Grapevine, but I walked most of it since visibility wasn't very good - I didn't want to run over a pedestrian.

I used to live in Florida when I biked before - it was completely flat, so no gear changes were really needed back then
paperspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 06:14 PM   #39
paperspirit
Hippie Chick
 
paperspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW Texas
Bikes: Magna 15 Speed MB - aka "Donkey"
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmos
And if I ever tackle that huge hill leading into cedar hill at the lake I may even find a use for that front small inside one
Oh, and I know just what hill you're talking about! That will be nice ride someday - there's such a wonderful view from the top of that hill!
paperspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 08:06 PM   #40
madmos
Member
 
madmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperspirit
I used to live in Florida when I biked before - it was completely flat, so no gear changes were really needed back then
Ironic, I moved here from FL myself just 2 years ago. I was living in Port St Lucie and working in Jupiter.

I was not riding bikes at the time though...
madmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 08:57 AM   #41
crdean1
Senior Member
 
crdean1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Siena
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I just thought I was going to ride last night. I really need a trainer. This rain is ridiculous. Madmos, perhaps I could join you guys after the 4th sometime. That is a perfect mileage and pace for me, and my training route doesn't have any hills, so it would be great for me.
crdean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 11:28 AM   #42
madmos
Member
 
madmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdean1
Yeah, I just thought I was going to ride last night. I really need a trainer. This rain is ridiculous. Madmos, perhaps I could join you guys after the 4th sometime. That is a perfect mileage and pace for me, and my training route doesn't have any hills, so it would be great for me.
I would love to get together with others for some rides. I am just starting out right now and would probably hold most of you guys back. Once I get my times down and I am confident I could keep up I will join in the fun
madmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 10:41 PM   #43
redls1camaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
redls1camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Bikes: trek 6000, 06 Masi alare
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
crdean1 just wanted to say thanks, finally made it out to that trail. I liked it a lot and it is so much closer for me. Got in a great ride. Probably going to go out there again on thur.
redls1camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 07:17 AM   #44
crdean1
Senior Member
 
crdean1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Siena
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome! What did you think of the trail. I was thinking about doing it yesterday, is the spillway still under water? I'd like to start going that route again.

I rode out in Mansfield, it was a nice little ride.
crdean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 09:09 AM   #45
redls1camaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
redls1camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Bikes: trek 6000, 06 Masi alare
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was clear as could be. No water on the trail at all. I liked the last part of the trail a lot, kind of a different scenery than im used to.
redls1camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 12:02 PM   #46
crdean1
Senior Member
 
crdean1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Siena
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I may be riding that trail on Thurs also. What time will you be out there. Did you do the full 25 miles? That last part of the trail is very nice (last 7 miles before the turnaround.)
crdean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 03:44 PM   #47
redls1camaro
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
redls1camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Bikes: trek 6000, 06 Masi alare
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ill probably be out there around 1 or 2. Trying to get my body used to the heat before HH. And it kicked my butt on tue. Yes I did the full 25. Im just glad you told me about the place, I would have never found it my self.
redls1camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 12:43 AM   #48
Zrebmun
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grand Prairie , Tx
Bikes: Nishiki sport
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to check the trail out tomorrow/ today after work. I had been riding it from starting inside the park. I will try the extra mileage.
Zrebmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 08:26 AM   #49
crdean1
Senior Member
 
crdean1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Siena
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll probably be riding the Arlington trail early in the morning. Let me know if anyone wants to meet. I am thinking I'll leave my house (2 miles from trail head) at daybreak.
crdean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 11:16 PM   #50
Zrebmun
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grand Prairie , Tx
Bikes: Nishiki sport
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried out the extra 5 miles starting at the park on gran oaks just past pioneer. It was very fun. I was worried it was going to rain. It sprinkeled a few times but never got bad. Will definatly do it again.
Zrebmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 PM.