Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-07, 11:56 PM   #1
kylen721
I Ride Slow
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DFW, TX
Bikes: Orbea Orca, Raleigh Furley
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looking to buy a commuter bike

So now that I have my road bike I want to be on the bike all the time. I want to ride to the video store and to chick fil a, and to classes when school starts back up but I dont want to do all of that on the expensive bike.

I saw on CL that Fred was going to be selling bikes from his storage unit this sunday and he is selling most for 20 dollars. I figure even if I have to do a little work on a bike I will be able to find something for cheap to commute on.

So has anyone bought a bike from Fred? how was it? any other suggestions for a cheap commuter bike?

Thanks for any info
kylen721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 05:20 AM   #2
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: McKinney, TX
Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What size bike do you need? I've got an old original Motobecane hanging in my garage that you can have it it fits. I've never measured it but I think it a 54-56cm. It's too small for me so it's been hanging in my garage for about a year now. It needs some work but I don't think it needs much.
kevinmcdade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 06:41 AM   #3
jim10040
Senior Member
 
jim10040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who is this Fred you speak of? Where is his storage shed? What times will he be selling? How do I contact him or do I need to? </cheap bike addict>
jim10040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 07:47 AM   #4
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Bikes: Lucinda--2010 Jamis Aurora Elite & a few others
Posts: 3,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
He has some groovy, old road bikes.
Go get 'em.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/bik/346885923.html
MMACH 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 12:03 PM   #5
kylen721
I Ride Slow
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DFW, TX
Bikes: Orbea Orca, Raleigh Furley
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmcdade
What size bike do you need? I've got an old original Motobecane hanging in my garage that you can have it it fits. I've never measured it but I think it a 54-56cm. It's too small for me so it's been hanging in my garage for about a year now. It needs some work but I don't think it needs much.
I ride a 54 right now if it is in fact a 54 I might have to take you up on that offer. A little work doesnt scare me or anything as long as the frame is in good condition.
kylen721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 11:09 AM   #6
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: McKinney, TX
Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylen721
I ride a 54 right now if it is in fact a 54 I might have to take you up on that offer. A little work doesnt scare me or anything as long as the frame is in good condition.
I'll take some measurments in the next few days and let you know. I would love to get rid of that bike.
kevinmcdade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 02:27 PM   #7
kylen721
I Ride Slow
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DFW, TX
Bikes: Orbea Orca, Raleigh Furley
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks kevin, just let me know what you find out!
kylen721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 03:24 PM   #8
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: McKinney, TX
Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just took some measurments:

TT c-c: ~56cm
ST c-c: ~52cm

It is a Motobecane Nomade. The frame is lugged steel. I don't see any rust on it. I can't tell what brand the components are but it is a 10 speed. The wheels are in decent shape and appear to just need to be trued up. It would be a good candidate for a fixed gear/single speed.

If you or anyone else wants it, let me know.
kevinmcdade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 09:11 PM   #9
kylen721
I Ride Slow
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DFW, TX
Bikes: Orbea Orca, Raleigh Furley
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmcdade
I just took some measurments:

TT c-c: ~56cm
ST c-c: ~52cm

It is a Motobecane Nomade. The frame is lugged steel. I don't see any rust on it. I can't tell what brand the components are but it is a 10 speed. The wheels are in decent shape and appear to just need to be trued up. It would be a good candidate for a fixed gear/single speed.

If you or anyone else wants it, let me know.

standover sounds perfect, top tube might be a touch long, but nothing a different stem cant fix. I think it would be a great commuter for me. Let me know how you would like to do this kevin. Thanks
kylen721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 PM.