Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Houston Metro?

  1. #1
    Senior Member kjmillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Displaced Texan
    My Bikes
    1984 Raliegh Wyoming, 1978 Schwinn Traveller, 2011 Wheeler Trekking Lite 3600
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Houston Metro?

    Since Metro put bike racks on their buses, I have yet to see a bike on one except mine. Granted, I've only ridden a couple of times just to check it out since I live so close to work. Anyone else seen differently? I do believe it's a great (and greatly underused) resource especially for those living in the burbs and needing to get closer to downtown.
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"......yea, right!

  2. #2
    Senior Member grayloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kingwood, Texas
    My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Kingwood, we pay the Metro tax, but only have park and ride service. I try not to go in the direction of town more than I have to, so haven't seen buses with racks. I'm rarely on the road when the P&R buses run and avoid that route if I am out and about, not because of the buses, but the traffic.

    Yes, its a good idea. My son may be attending grad school at U of H a year from now. Taking a P&R bus to the city, they riding a bike to the campus may be the only way he can afford getting there. But, I'm guessing most who ride P&R buses are close enough to work when they arrive, there's no need to take the bike along. The racks, however, at the P&R lot are more full than 6 months ago.

  3. #3
    No really...I flatted froggmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    Centurion Ironman Expert, Felt SC1, Specialized Hardrock Comp
    Posts
    143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live inside the loop and I hardly ever saw the racks being utilized. But the last couple of months, I've seen a bike on those racks every single day.
    2009 Felt Z35
    1997 Cannondale F900
    1988 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Expert

  4. #4
    Senior Member chinotex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek 1500
    Posts
    663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grayloon View Post
    Here in Kingwood, we pay the Metro tax, but only have park and ride service. I try not to go in the direction of town more than I have to, so haven't seen buses with racks. I'm rarely on the road when the P&R buses run and avoid that route if I am out and about, not because of the buses, but the traffic.

    Yes, its a good idea. My son may be attending grad school at U of H a year from now. Taking a P&R bus to the city, they riding a bike to the campus may be the only way he can afford getting there. But, I'm guessing most who ride P&R buses are close enough to work when they arrive, there's no need to take the bike along. The racks, however, at the P&R lot are more full than 6 months ago.
    I've put my bike in the luggage compartment of the P&R busses and then ridden to my old office downtown. It's really easy and convenient.
    2007 Trek 1500; 2008 Raleigh One-Way

    "R[ide] with the swift, in the hopes of one day finishing second." -John J. McCloy

  5. #5
    Senior Member sluglug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i live in the montrose area...i usually notice a bike on them maybe every other day.

  6. #6
    Senior Member grayloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kingwood, Texas
    My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the problems with the bus system in Houston is it remains a spoke type system. If you live somewhere like Kingwood, its take the P&R downtown, then transfer to another bus, or was that way the last time I explored the possibility of using buses to travel around the city. With a bike, that means you may have to move your bike from one bus to another several times. Though, in some situations, it may be best to ride the bike to a stop farther out. The transfer stations Metro built help some, but the system leaves a lot to be desired.

  7. #7
    Justin scattered73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bayou City
    My Bikes
    Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno
    Posts
    1,051
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see them used quite often, though I have yet to use one myself though I am sure one day I will have mechanics on one of my rides and bail out and use metro. Could have really used one last night on our Wednesday midnight ride had two riders with unrepairable break downs, but no metro at 2:30 am.

  8. #8
    Senior Member grayloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kingwood, Texas
    My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looked at the schedules for park and ride. I need to go in to Daniel Boone and check out some stuff I need for my Nishiki Cresta, also to just do the pilgrammage. I'm going to take the bike on the P&R bus, then from the last stop, ride to Boone. It will save my at least half the gas cost over taking my F150.

  9. #9
    Senior Member chinotex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek 1500
    Posts
    663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grayloon View Post
    Looked at the schedules for park and ride. I need to go in to Daniel Boone and check out some stuff I need for my Nishiki Cresta, also to just do the pilgrammage. I'm going to take the bike on the P&R bus, then from the last stop, ride to Boone. It will save my at least half the gas cost over taking my F150.
    Make sure you remind the driver when you're getting off the bus that you need to get your bike out of the compartment, so he/she doesn't drive off.
    2007 Trek 1500; 2008 Raleigh One-Way

    "R[ide] with the swift, in the hopes of one day finishing second." -John J. McCloy

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    K2 Mach 1.0
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride the P&R from Katy to St. Thomas. I don't need my bike because it drops me off right in front of the college. One thing I wish is that I could ride the P&R from Katy to Downtown and then transfer to one of the P&R buses that runs southbound. However, METRO won't let you ride a P&R bus that is on its return trip that early in the morning. This would help with getting to my station for work so I wouldn't have to use my Silverado.

    -Nate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    metro

    last time i rode from downtown i noticed that one of the large longdistance busses had a baggage compartment, uner the coach, marked bicycles.
    i can get across town and back for $4. one into town, one to the other side of town, and then two all the way back. that's half of what it would cost in a car.
    i am just getting the basics of schedules and how the busses flow thru town.
    plan on going south and doing the jump to galveston.

    just not sure about how to bring the stringer of fish back. in a cooler perhaps.

  12. #12
    Senior Member grayloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kingwood, Texas
    My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HERBIVORE View Post
    last time i rode from downtown i noticed that one of the large longdistance busses had a baggage compartment, uner the coach, marked bicycles.
    i can get across town and back for $4. one into town, one to the other side of town, and then two all the way back. that's half of what it would cost in a car.
    i am just getting the basics of schedules and how the busses flow thru town.
    plan on going south and doing the jump to galveston.

    just not sure about how to bring the stringer of fish back. in a cooler perhaps.
    Fillet those fish and put them in a cooler before you make the return journey. No sense in carrying extra weight.

    I've been looking at the schedules and how my son can get from Kingwood to University of Houston if he goes to grad school in '09. Looks as though he has two options, take the P&R to the last drop and ride a bike to school or transfer to a local and go to the school. At his age, I was riding 24 miles a day, 6 to school, 12 to my girlfriend's home (later my wife) and 6 back to my home. But, I fear for him on a bike. The fear isn't because cycling in Houston is unsafe, its the kid who is unsafe...lives in another world and doesn't pay attention to what's going on. Either way, with the student discount, at current rates, it looks like less than $30 per month to commute by bus.
    Last edited by grayloon; 06-30-08 at 08:04 PM.

  13. #13
    Velocommuter Commando Sirrus Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
    Posts
    2,540
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjmillig View Post
    Since Metro put bike racks on their buses, I have yet to see a bike on one except mine. Granted, I've only ridden a couple of times just to check it out since I live so close to work. Anyone else seen differently? I do believe it's a great (and greatly underused) resource especially for those living in the burbs and needing to get closer to downtown.
    I have seen bikes on them. Most have been Walmart wonders or BSOs. I myself would not entrust my bike to the skillls of a Metro driver unless I can take it inside the bus.
    Riding 19 Years of Specialized Sirrus Tradition.
    Live in Houston? Come to http://bicyclecommutehouston.blogspot.com/
    1988 Specialized Sirrus, 1989 Alpine Monitor Pass MTB, 2007 Specialized Sirrus 700C hybrid, 2007 Schwinn Town & Country trike, 1970 "Resto-Improved" Raleigh 20, 1970 "WIP" Raleigh 20, and 1980 "WIP" Schwinn Town & Country trike

  14. #14
    Lone Star Tex_Arcana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx.
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live near Sharpstown, See bikes on the rack all the time coming and going from the Hip-Hop Mall. One day I wasn't riding my bike and rode the bus instead. (25 Richmond going west). Bus stopped for a woman with a bike. (she looked confused and was struggling while the bus driver watched. I hopped off, grabbed the bike and put it in the rack for her so we could get going again. Since we got off at the same stop I took it off for her again.

  15. #15
    Senior Member grayloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kingwood, Texas
    My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex_Arcana View Post
    Live near Sharpstown, See bikes on the rack all the time coming and going from the Hip-Hop Mall. One day I wasn't riding my bike and rode the bus instead. (25 Richmond going west). Bus stopped for a woman with a bike. (she looked confused and was struggling while the bus driver watched. I hopped off, grabbed the bike and put it in the rack for her so we could get going again. Since we got off at the same stop I took it off for her again.
    We'll give you a gold star fro helping the lady. When I read about the bike racks on buses and using the cargo bays on the park and ride buses, it said the drivers were not allowed to assist. The driver was following company policy.

  16. #16
    SWAAAAAAAAAAAT
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    alief houston texas
    My Bikes
    masi speciale fixed (urrringe), haro f1 (black), haro x2 (red)
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'ma try to take it more often in school

    this summer i took it a handful of times. lock up my bike to the lil handle thing that holds my front tire so i can sleep during a driver change without some piece of **** mother****er lifting my ****.

    132 harwin express to wheeler station, bike from wheeler station to UH. not bad.
    once you go tarck, you never go barck

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjmillig View Post
    Since Metro put bike racks on their buses, I have yet to see a bike on one except mine. Granted, I've only ridden a couple of times just to check it out since I live so close to work. Anyone else seen differently? I do believe it's a great (and greatly underused) resource especially for those living in the burbs and needing to get closer to downtown.
    I see bicycles on Metro bus racks all the time. In fact, I used the bus rack yesterday, Friday. i bought a Marin Muirwoods bicycle recently from Sun and Ski on fm 1960. I kinda now wish that I had bought something used and cheap from a pawn shop. I didn't realize how hard it is to secure a nice bicycle.

    I live a little over 7 miles from my work. I guess I could ride my bike that far, but man that is dangerous. For now I will settle for riding my bike the one mile distance from our house to the nearest bus stop. Then ride the .08 miles from the bus stop to work. I could ride a 2nd bus that would drop me off right in front of the job. I'd rather walk or bike .08 miles. Good exercise.

    The recent addition of the metro bus bike racks was one of the main reasons I decided to get another bicycle.

    regards, kountzer in NW Houston

  18. #18
    Senior Member yeamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central IL
    My Bikes
    2013 Marin Pioneer Trail MTB; 2012 Marin Verona T3; 2012 Marin Bridgeway; 2008 Cannondale Touring 2; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem
    Posts
    1,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjmillig View Post
    Since Metro put bike racks on their buses, I have yet to see a bike on one except mine.
    Its kinda like, what's the point? Either take the bus or ride your bike, take your pick.



    I've actually seen quite a few bikes on buses.

  19. #19
    Bicycle Utopian bikinpolitico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross
    Posts
    787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider yourself lucky. In Austin, you often have to wait for multiple buses to find one that does not have its bike full.
    Austin on Two Wheels
    The Online Magazine of Austin Cycling Culture

    Violet Crown Cycles
    Handbuilt City Bikes from Deep in the Heart of Texas

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yeamac View Post
    Its kinda like, what's the point? Either take the bus or ride your bike, take your pick.



    I've actually seen quite a few bikes on buses.
    As I mentioned somewhere else, I just got my bicycle. I am still acquiring needed accessories, like a good lock and bike security plan. Once I get that fixed I plan to ride the bus with the bike to work in the morning. That way I am not all sweaty and smelly at work. Then, I'll commute home on the bicycle in the evenings. Once I get used to it maybe I'll start doing round trips. I plan to ride downtown and check out the festivals. Ride along the bayous like along allen parkway. This is going to be fun! DB

  21. #21
    Senior Member grayloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kingwood, Texas
    My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some pretty good reason to ride the bus AND take your bike. Taking the Park and Ride to downtown, then using the bike to go to other locations works well. My son may be attending grad school at U of H. Its a 70 mile round trip. He could take the P&R to a central location, then ride his bike to the central campus, saving a lot of gas/oil money, as well as wear and tear on the car. There are a myriad of reasons to combine bus and bike trips.

  22. #22
    Senior Member kf5nd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX 77095
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #82 Westheimer bike racks VERY busy at peak hours. I have encountered buses with full racks often. It's a bummer.

  23. #23
    SWAAAAAAAAAAAT
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    alief houston texas
    My Bikes
    masi speciale fixed (urrringe), haro f1 (black), haro x2 (red)
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grayloon View Post
    There are some pretty good reason to ride the bus AND take your bike. Taking the Park and Ride to downtown, then using the bike to go to other locations works well. My son may be attending grad school at U of H. Its a 70 mile round trip. He could take the P&R to a central location, then ride his bike to the central campus, saving a lot of gas/oil money, as well as wear and tear on the car. There are a myriad of reasons to combine bus and bike trips.
    yea i'm doing the UH thing too. but since alot of my classes are at night, i don't feel like riding through 3rd ward past 10 on tuesday, when my latest class gets out. worked in the summer though.
    once you go tarck, you never go barck

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    K2 Mach 1.0
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the rack is full I'll take my bike on the bus. I have no problem standing and holding onto it. If the bus is so packed there are a lot of people standing then I'll just ride my bike. I usually car pool with my girlfriend into UH and walk her to class. Then ride my bike the 3.35 miles to St. Thomas. In the evening I ride to the Wheeler Station and take the train to downtown and catch my bus tot he P&R. Then its only 3 miles from the P&R to her house.

    -Nate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  25. #25
    Senior Member grayloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kingwood, Texas
    My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tx_what_it_do View Post
    yea i'm doing the UH thing too. but since alot of my classes are at night, i don't feel like riding through 3rd ward past 10 on tuesday, when my latest class gets out. worked in the summer though.
    I've done that. Way back when, before the area North of Herman Park started redeveloping, I lived in a house with 7 others and biked from there to UH and back day or night. Third Ward is about the same as then, but the traffic is different. Night riding is a problem not so much because of the folks in Third Ward, but because of the traffic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •