BF Friend Recs - San Antonio, DFW, Austin, Houston
I am looking for some recommendations for a friend in the UK. Basically, he works for a non-profit and is coming home with his family (to Texas) for six months. He arrives in San Antonio in late July, and he will be splitting his time (6 wks on and 6 wks off) at his wife's parents house in San Antonio, and his parents house in Fort Worth.
Also, he'll be riding the HH100 with me this August, and here's his delimma. He has started researching options on getting his bike here for 6 months and has run into some costly options. Here are the two best answers he has found:
1. Buy a Polaris Bike Pod that could go with him on the plane for ($220 USD + $100 oversize suitcase charge).
2. Get free box from bike shop and ship it here via UPS ($300 +)
He won't have any problems getting it back to the UK because the non-profit allows them to have one crate shipped back home when they return, and he will put it in the crate. So, I am looking for help in the following areas:
1. Other recommendations for getting his bike here at a reasonable cost.
2. Possibly a bike he could borrow/rent for 6 months if he leaves his there (he's 5'7", 140 lbs., and currently rides a Giant TCR 0 w/ Dura Ace (size M), usually around a 17-18mph avg. for long rides).
3. Possibly a bike he could buy, ride, then re-sell when he goes back home (maybe craigslist?)
4. Any other recommendations??
Thanks in advance for any insight or recommendations you might have. Also, he will have a car while in the states, and will be looking to borrow or buy/re-sell a trunk bike rack.
Last edited by crdean1; 07-06-09 at 08:22 AM.
Also, anyone need a coupon to RBM...$20 off a $100 purchase? I don't really need anything this month (expires at end of month).
Tilting with windmills
Have him check with DHL for shipping. I have shipped frames cross county for less than $40.
Does the coupon count for service work too? If I throw in a couple of headset intallations I can crack $100 easy at RBM
It says valid on sale and non-sale items. I'll give them a ring today and check it out. Thanks for the DHL rec. I'll check it out.
Thanks for the replies. A BF member sold my friend a nice road bike so he won't have to ship his over here.
@txvintage - I called on that coupon, and the sales guy who answered the phone said it could not be used for service. RD
Let's meet up for some rides, as well as the HH100.