Austin Ride of Silence
Wednesday, May 18 · 6:30pm - 9:30pm
On the evening of Wednesday, May 18th, 2010, cyclists all over the world will ride in honor and in memory of fellow cyclists that have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways. In Austin TX, we will start an eight-mile ride originating and ending on the Pfluger Bridge. This ride will last approximately one hour. You are riding with the rest of the world in this 8th annual memorial ride. (Information about Rides of Silence in other cities is available at www.rideofsilence.org)
If you choose to participate in the ride, please follow the following guidelines:
* Treat the pre-ride gathering and the ride with respect to what the intention of the ride is for - to honor/grieve/remember fallen cyclists.
* Put safety first (Helmets are a good idea but that's up to you.)
* Maintain silence during the ride, using only hand signals to relay ride support or caution.
* Ride no faster than 12 mph.
* Comply with local, state and federal laws of the public roadways keeping the following in mind:
o Obey all stop signs and traffic signals.
o Ride as far to the right of the lane as practicable.
o Ride a bike that has working brakes and the required lights and reflectors.
o Ride no more than two abreast or if that impedes traffic, ride single-file.
WHERE/WHEN: Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge at 6:30pm. Ride starts at 7.
At the ride, during the dedication period, if there is a rider that you wish to be named or that you are riding in honor of you can speak about them at the dedication before the ride. If you wish to speak, please arrive prior to 6:30pm and locate one of the ride leaders. Some riders will wear black armbands in memory of riders killed or a red armband for a cyclist that has been injured sharing the road, or pin pictures to their jerseys. All of these gestures promote awareness, and an opportunity for silent reflection.
NOTE: THIS IS NOT A SOCIAL CYCLING AUSTIN EVENT. IT'S A LOCAL VERSION OF A NATIONAL RIDE/MOVEMENT. RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU MUST PROVIDE YOUR OWN SUPPORT.