Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bend, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon HT 29er
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Houston road riding advice?

    Hey gang. I'll be in Houston for the next month with my road bike...I'm hoping to get some suggestions on good routes and/or groups that I can ride with. I'll be staying in the southwest side of Houston just inside the I-610 loop.

    I'm a Cat 4 road racer pursing my Cat 3 upgrade this season, I'm looking to do a lot of base riding during this next month and would love to ride with some groups.

    Any recommended safe routes would be greatly appreciated.


    Thanks!
    Eric

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Houston TX area
    My Bikes
    Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Motobecane Gran Turismo , KHS Urban X
    Posts
    810
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several options
    Northwest cycling club http://www.northwestcyclingclub.com/

    Rides out of Zube Park

    http://bicycleworldofhouston.com/

    Bike Barn http://bikebarn.com/

  3. #3
    Senior Member texbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    My Bikes
    Stradalli RP-14 Carbon, Motobecane 700HT MTB
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be numerous rides going on. check the event calendar and club listings at Texbiker.net. There is a bike shop list as well.
    Last edited by Jandro; 04-24-13 at 05:08 PM. Reason: no blog links for non-paying memebers

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bend, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon HT 29er
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! I made it to Houston today and hope to start riding tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bend, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon HT 29er
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are any groups riding tomorrow due to the holiday?

  6. #6
    Senior Member texbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    My Bikes
    Stradalli RP-14 Carbon, Motobecane 700HT MTB
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drumguy View Post
    Are any groups riding tomorrow due to the holiday?
    I am not aware of any rides but if you check with some of the bike shops near you they may have something going on.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bend, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon HT 29er
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texbiker View Post
    I am not aware of any rides but if you check with some of the bike shops near you they may have something going on.
    Thanks

  8. #8
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,323
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We might be moving to Houston this summer if my wife gets an oil job - how Houston in regards to a bike commuter city? We might be living up in the Woodlands - and working there too (or not, who knows).
    Just in general curious about how bike friendly the area is.

    also are there places/greenways/parks to just ride without the traffic threat?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Woodlands (master-planned community) is very bike-friendly. Mostly shoulders & dedicated bike paths. Couple this with a (mostly) affluent populace & you get fewer incidents there than other places in the greater Houston area. If you're living & working there, you're golden. Unfortunately, it's a pretty steep drop-off in bike-friendliness if you're looking to commute in/out of The Woodlands - there's very few surface roads leading there that can be safely biked upon.

  10. #10
    burp
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Houston is not a very commuter friendly city imo. As far as places/greenways/parks, there are plenty, but it depends on the type of riding you want to do? I.e. mtn, casual, etc.

  11. #11
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,323
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sad to hear that.
    we honestly have no idea if/when we are even moving, but it's nice to know there's some options down there.
    even if we can't commute to work, we'd definitely want to do some casual greenways biking on the weekends for fun/stay in shape.

  12. #12
    burp
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh how I wish it were more bike friendly myself, but I guess that is a trade-off I must make to live here. Poor commuting opportunities and flat as a pancake. But we have TONS of wind!

  13. #13
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,323
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's ok wind makes you go faster!!




    (in one direction)

  14. #14
    burp
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, in West Houston, it seems that the wind NEVER makes you go faster in 1 direction. It seems to have a reputation of going against you on your way out, then flipping and still going against you on your way back in.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Rex G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bellaire TX USA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
    We might be moving to Houston this summer if my wife gets an oil job - how Houston in regards to a bike commuter city? We might be living up in the Woodlands - and working there too (or not, who knows).
    Just in general curious about how bike friendly the area is.

    also are there places/greenways/parks to just ride without the traffic threat?
    The Houston area has places that are very bicyclist-friendly, separated by stretches that are very unfriendly. The problem with greenways and planned multi-use paths is that they can become really crowded with non-cyclists during peak times. I have been on group rides that went along these multi-use paths, when I felt like switching to the adjacent street, instead, and dancing with cars rather than dodging unpredictable dogs and kids. I don't know of any greenway or multi-use path that would allow one to maintain a steady "stay in shape" pace, if that means an aerobic pace, during peak hours.

    I will not try to be more specific, as I have not ridden regularly for a few years.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-25-13 at 07:07 PM.
    Have Colt, will travel...

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with Planetary cycles, Bike Barn on Weslayann, and Bicycle planet in the village. All near your stated location, and they all have organized rides.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
    We might be moving to Houston this summer if my wife gets an oil job - how Houston in regards to a bike commuter city? We might be living up in the Woodlands - and working there too (or not, who knows).
    Just in general curious about how bike friendly the area is.

    also are there places/greenways/parks to just ride without the traffic threat?
    I assume your wife is looking to work for Exxon?

    Can't speak for the Woodlands, but commuting within the 610 loop is pretty easy to do. The city has really put a lot of work into the bayou and rail-to-trail MUPs and they are nice, but, as mentioned earlier can get very crowded on nice days.

    As a rule, the big cheap Houston housing is in the suburbs (i.e. outside the Beltway 8 loop) and the biking infrastructure (with the exception of the Woodlands) is pretty lousy. Those are suburbs built for car-commuting and for "keeping out the riffraff" so you're looking at multiple subdivisions with one or two entrances all connected by 2 lane former country roads where everyone drives like a maniac and one traffic accident can back up for miles (Yes, I do have an issue with the suburbs, whatever makes you think that? ). Most of the road bikers I've seen there go out on the weekend mornings.

    If you want to pay more and live smaller, in-the-loop is really great for biking. Restaurants and bars are getting exponentially more bike parking and we even have a bike-share program in downtown, Midtown, and Montrose now. Of course, if you choose to live with the "cool kids" your property taxes will increase every single year, the hipsters will move in next door, and someone, somewhere, is going to steal something from your driveway or yard. Tradeoffs.

  18. #18
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,323
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGal View Post
    I assume your wife is looking to work for Exxon?

    Can't speak for the Woodlands, but commuting within the 610 loop is pretty easy to do. The city has really put a lot of work into the bayou and rail-to-trail MUPs and they are nice, but, as mentioned earlier can get very crowded on nice days.

    As a rule, the big cheap Houston housing is in the suburbs (i.e. outside the Beltway 8 loop) and the biking infrastructure (with the exception of the Woodlands) is pretty lousy. Those are suburbs built for car-commuting and for "keeping out the riffraff" so you're looking at multiple subdivisions with one or two entrances all connected by 2 lane former country roads where everyone drives like a maniac and one traffic accident can back up for miles (Yes, I do have an issue with the suburbs, whatever makes you think that? ). Most of the road bikers I've seen there go out on the weekend mornings.

    If you want to pay more and live smaller, in-the-loop is really great for biking. Restaurants and bars are getting exponentially more bike parking and we even have a bike-share program in downtown, Midtown, and Montrose now. Of course, if you choose to live with the "cool kids" your property taxes will increase every single year, the hipsters will move in next door, and someone, somewhere, is going to steal something from your driveway or yard. Tradeoffs.
    at this point any oil company would suffice - we just need her to get a job so we can have a 2nd income. my teacher's salary is not enough, obviously.
    sad to hear that the suburbs are kind of crummy. we have never been there, so we don't know anything about the city or its parts.
    also sad to hear it's not more bike friendly. boo.

    i may call upon you for further info on hte city in general if we end up heading down there!
    thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •