Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Texas (http://www.bikeforums.net/texas/)
-   -   It's official, I'm moving to Houston. Where should I live, bike, explore, go, eat, do (http://www.bikeforums.net/texas/896947-its-official-im-moving-houston-where-should-i-live-bike-explore-go-eat-do.html)

Bikedued 08-14-13 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoustonGal (Post 15959853)
Oh, I like Andy's too, but I liked them a lot less when they started using frozen instead of fresh hamburger patties. Betrayal!

They serve hamburgers??? Never knew that:lol:.,,,,BD


Annnnd, Last Concert Cafe still exists.. I will have to sneak by there some night for some live outdoor music. Supposedly, the story goes that the roof of the music part of the building blew off in a storm once, and the band kept playing. Though I don't know if that is really true, lol.

http://www.lastconcert.com/

And I almost forgot Danelectros guitar bar!! No food, but live music and booze. Old as the hills, and twice as cool. Tucked away in the middle of a Heights area neighborhood. My Ramcharger popped a freeze plug a block away from there once, and it spent the night in the parking lot:lol: I went back the next day with a rented trailer and picked it up. Fun times;). Don't go out back, unless.... I'll leave it open for interpretation;)

http://www.danelectrosguitarbar.com/

the sci guy 08-14-13 07:59 PM

we're out energy corridor way - westchase. where westheimer crosses the outer loop (sam houston tollway/rt 8)

Bikedued 08-14-13 08:46 PM

So even further out. Gotcha.,,,,BD

txags92 08-15-13 11:30 AM

Sorry I am coming back to this late, and I don't want to alarm you at all, but that area can be kind of hit or miss as far as crime at apartment complexes. There were a large number of Katrina refugees resettled there and the crime rate went up rapidly after they arrived. I was working in the area at the time and the crime increase was not imaginary like some in city government wanted to pretend. I think things have settled down some in recent years, but keep your eyes open and don't leave any valuables laying around in your car. There are some good complexes down there and then some not so nice places, so just look around once you are there and figure out what kind of places are around you and act accordingly.

As for restaurants, there are some good Indian and mediterranean places west of there along Westheimer. I work closely with 4 Indians and they can never agree on which one is best or worst. What one likes, others hate, so try them out yourself and pick a favorite. Nirvana up on Memorial just east of Dairy Ashford is one they all seem to like. Rattan on Eldridge north of Briar Forest is good Asian food.

Bikedued 08-15-13 01:05 PM

Yeah, no one was "allowed" to say what the reason was, when the crime rate in Houston went up about 25% soon after Katrina, but...,,,,BD

the sci guy 08-15-13 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txags92 (Post 15963983)
Sorry I am coming back to this late, and I don't want to alarm you at all, but that area can be kind of hit or miss as far as crime at apartment complexes. There were a large number of Katrina refugees resettled there and the crime rate went up rapidly after they arrived.

we have heard that, and are aware.
but this place is just a jumping off point. we couldn't go down and shop around, had to do it online and pictures only. we've got to survive a year, and if it's ok, and we aren'y ready for a house or a nicer condo, we'll stay. if it's a living hell, we'll gtfo.
i'm very nervous about it, but, there isn't much i can do. i've always been a strict follower of the x-files creedo: trust no one. i never leave anything in my car, and obsessively make sure it's always locked. it's a gated complex, but that doesn't mean much these days.

HoustonGal 08-16-13 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sci guy (Post 15965880)
we have heard that, and are aware.
but this place is just a jumping off point. we couldn't go down and shop around, had to do it online and pictures only. we've got to survive a year, and if it's ok, and we aren'y ready for a house or a nicer condo, we'll stay. if it's a living hell, we'll gtfo.
i'm very nervous about it, but, there isn't much i can do. i've always been a strict follower of the x-files creedo: trust no one. i never leave anything in my car, and obsessively make sure it's always locked. it's a gated complex, but that doesn't mean much these days.

It's a big city - crime is everywhere. Our "welcome to Houston" party included our truck getting its back window smashed in (bet the thieves were disappointed when all they found were file boxes full of geology scientific articles) and my bike getting snatched from the garage a month later. 6 years on and still in the same neighborhood, the only thing I've had stolen since then were my potted geraniums off the front porch. I liked those pots, darn it!

Anyhow, definitely don't keep anything of value visible in your car, and trust your instincts. That said, don't live in constant fear, either. It's not worth it.

Fangowolf 08-16-13 02:20 PM

txags92 can you ask your Indian friends which place has a good tiki masala or currys and will actually make it spicy.

the sci guy 08-16-13 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoustonGal (Post 15968297)
It's a big city - crime is everywhere. Our "welcome to Houston" party included our truck getting its back window smashed in (bet the thieves were disappointed when all they found were file boxes full of geology scientific articles) and my bike getting snatched from the garage a month later. 6 years on and still in the same neighborhood, the only thing I've had stolen since then were my potted geraniums off the front porch. I liked those pots, darn it!

Anyhow, definitely don't keep anything of value visible in your car, and trust your instincts. That said, don't live in constant fear, either. It's not worth it.

i need to hook you up with my wife. she's a geologist - that's why we're moving down :lol:
what area of the city do you live on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangowolf (Post 15968487)
txags92 can you ask your Indian friends which place has a good tiki masala or currys and will actually make it spicy.

i'll second this - while i can't eat spicy food at all, my wife likes to turn it up to 11.

HoustonGal 08-16-13 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sci guy (Post 15968816)
i need to hook you up with my wife. she's a geologist - that's why we're moving down :lol:
what area of the city do you live on?

Actually, I'm an immunologist. I teach/do research at UT Houston Medical School. My husband is the geologist. Based on your location, I take it your wife is going to be working with one of the "majors"? Hubby works with Weatherford now, but he started at Shell.

We live in the Heights. It's pricey, but close-in, and a reverse commute to the energy corridor for my husband. I bike to work at the Med Center (when the high temp drops below 100). I love it here, the lots are small, the affordable houses are old, but it's definitely a friendly (and bike-friendly!) neighborhood.

And yeah, we moved down here for the geology job as well. "Just for a few years".....

the sci guy 08-17-13 10:00 PM

alright, can someone help me out with this choosing an electricity plan & company thing? I've never even heard of this before, but apparently I need to choose for our place.
I'm already at powertochoose.org and have put in the info to help narrow down plans.
What's better: fixed rate? variable? indexed?
But, I don't know what's a good price is either. I have nothing to compare this to. I don't understand the differences in amounts between 500kwh, 1,000 & 2,000kwh.
this entire thing is completely foreign to me. Everywhere I've ever lived was "this is the power company. the end."

Are there certain companies that are more reliable or better? I am seeing Reliant, Summer, 4Change, Brilliant, Infinite Energy, etc.

Can any of you describe what you have/do? Any info is helpful. We're moving this coming weekend finally and I want to get things set up before we get down there!

Bikedued 08-17-13 10:19 PM

The only one I have ever heard of is Reliant?,,,,BD

texbiker 08-18-13 03:08 PM

I use 4Change. I have switched several times whenever my current supplier gets too expensive or lazy. My last supplier (Proton) could never send an email invoice on time so I dropped them for 4Change. Their invoicing is timely. Whether to go fixed or variable: fixed prices will be higher usually for the supplier to cover the unknown future prices. I use variable pricing. The summer months might be high but the non-air conditioning months get real cheap. My winter invoices were as low as $50 for a 2400 SF house. Summer is higher but I have never went over $300. Before I retired I use to buy electricity for a Fortune 100 company so I am use to the variable pricing. Reliant will be the most expensive in the Houston area because they use to be the utility in Houston before deregulation. In Dallas they are more competitive because TXU is the old utility there.

There is no difference in reliability. All the electricity is the same over the same wires. The only differences are price and invoicing accuracy. If a supplier goes out of business (it has happened numerous times) you are moved to the price to beat pool until you sign up with another supplier.

the sci guy 08-18-13 08:42 PM

dumb question - but i can't seem to find any answer on powertochoose...

the "complaint scorecard" - is it the more plugs there are shaded, the better? or is it the more plugs the more complaints?
I've clicked on the "complaint history" for a number of different ones, and that hasn't helped.

this is seriously the dumbest thing i've ever seen. is it like this anywhere else in the country?

10 Wheels 08-18-13 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sci guy (Post 15972416)
alright, can someone help me out with this choosing an electricity plan & company thing? I've never even heard of this before, but apparently I need to choose for our place.
I'm already at powertochoose.org and have put in the info to help narrow down plans.
What's better: fixed rate? variable? indexed?
But, I don't know what's a good price is either. I have nothing to compare this to. I don't understand the differences in amounts between 500kwh, 1,000 & 2,000kwh.
this entire thing is completely foreign to me. Everywhere I've ever lived was "this is the power company. the end."

Are there certain companies that are more reliable or better? I am seeing Reliant, Summer, 4Change, Brilliant, Infinite Energy, etc.

Can any of you describe what you have/do? Any info is helpful. We're moving this coming weekend finally and I want to get things set up before we get down there!

I use Just Energy. No Problems.

http://www.justenergy.com/

txags92 08-19-13 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangowolf (Post 15968487)
txags92 can you ask your Indian friends which place has a good tiki masala or currys and will actually make it spicy.

I will ask for other suggestions, but for quick food at a place that isn't too fancy, try Masala Wok at Briar Park and Westheimer. We used to go there alot before our office moved, and I know they will make it plenty hot.

the sci guy 08-20-13 01:13 PM

ok i am FREAKING OUT.
none of the companies (comcast, verion, at&t) say that they service my address. I used this allconnect.com website to look up providers for the few apartment numbers i could find on the realty website (mine included), NONE of them returned an internet provider, and only returned Dish & DirecTV as cable.

IS THIS POSSIBLE? How could there be no internet? I mean, this can't be possible. it's an older(ish) complex but it's got to be wired with SOMETHING, right?

seriously FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW

Bikedued 08-20-13 01:51 PM

They might have an office wifi, I noticed a few places around here offer that. You could always go with a verizon mobile wifi hotspot if they're truly services deprived. I wonder if Warner cable or another provider does the cable out there instead of Comcast for cable internet/tv.,,,,BD

the sci guy 08-20-13 03:03 PM

so i called this service/website movearoo.com - and the only thing they said connected to the complex is AT&T U-verse DSL.

DSL.

Only.

I'm seriously livid right now. 6mbps for $34.95? That's absolutely outrageous. To say nothing of the TV service which is either Dish or DirecTV.

I am seriously pissed. This kind of info should have been on the realty form. Cannot believe we are stuck here for a year.

brons2 08-20-13 03:57 PM

They don't have the u-verse TV bundled with Internet? It's a way better deal getting it that way.

the sci guy 08-20-13 04:35 PM

I think you're missig my point. the complex is wired for DSL only. TV comes from satellite.

again - my question is: how is this possible at this day in age.

brons2 08-20-13 04:42 PM

Apartment probably gets a cut through the current arrangement, I'm sure. Not that uncommon.

It's not possible to be wired for DSL without being also wired for U-Verse because both run over Cat3, but it's probably contractually prohibited from being offered.

the sci guy 08-20-13 05:00 PM

well the complex situation is a little different. it's a complex of individually owned townhouses/condos/apartments. there is no front office, it's not managed by a larger company. (not too sure about that because someone has to take care of maintenance i would suppose - dunno) we found ours through a realty website. the realtor said i call her for any issues.
so i don't think there is a contract with any service provider. i guess i'll have to find out more when i get down there.

still - incredibly annoyed. i have 30mbps internet now. i can't live on 6 maximum with DSL. streaming things over the Roku is going to be piss poor.

brons2 08-20-13 05:02 PM

I need to backtrack my last post...AT&T doesn't offer Uverse in all areas so it just might be the case that it's not offered at all at your apt and the satellite operators are your only option.

dougmc 08-20-13 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sci guy (Post 15982148)
still - incredibly annoyed. i have 30mbps internet now. i can't live on 6 maximum with DSL. streaming things over the Roku is going to be piss poor.

Netflix's maximum bit rate used is about 4 Mbps and that's for their HD streams. 6 Mbit/s is certainly coming close to that, but streaming things over the Roku ought to be better than piss-poor.

I'm not saying that faster wouldn't be better, but 6 Mbit/s isn't quite a disaster.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 AM.