Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-16, 08:29 PM   #26
zze86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
another vote for Marmot Precip
zze86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 09:13 PM   #27
opusvelo
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mule View Post
I have a Showers Pass Elite 2.1. it's a nice enough jacket, but they're got backwards (women's side) zippers. Drives me crazy. I've also got a J&G Cyclewear Rain jacket that I like very much that can be purchased for half the price of my backward zippered Showers Pass jacket.
That's weird. My girlfriend and I both have Elite 2.1 jackets (one men's and one women's) and they are both right-hand zips. As in, on the RH side when you're wearing it, or "men's" side.
opusvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 09:45 PM   #28
1Mule 
Senior Member
 
1Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vancouver Wa.
Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by opusvelo View Post
That's weird. My girlfriend and I both have Elite 2.1 jackets (one men's and one women's) and they are both right-hand zips. As in, on the RH side when you're wearing it, or "men's" side.
Bought mine about a year ago. Other than the ladies zipper it's a great jacket.
1Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 10:07 PM   #29
DropBarFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Have an Elite 2.1 now, haven't tried it in rain yet. No pockets seems weird but if weather's cold one should take gloves anyway.
DropBarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 10:09 PM   #30
Doug64
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mule View Post
Bought mine about a year ago. Other than the ladies zipper it's a great jacket.
In Europe "ladies" zippers are common on men's garments. Nobody will ever know but you.

I just checked my 6-year old Elite, and it has the traditional North American men's zipper. I checked my wife's SP Tourist and it has the women's zipper.

What ever happened, they were not very consistent.
Doug64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 02:33 PM   #31
Ty0604
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
In Europe "ladies" zippers are common on men's garments. Nobody will ever know but you.

I just checked my 6-year old Elite, and it has the traditional North American men's zipper. I checked my wife's SP Tourist and it has the women's zipper.

What ever happened, they were not very consistent.
What's the difference between a man's zipper and a woman's zipper?
Ty0604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 02:39 PM   #32
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 27,312
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Women its on the side of the hips , Mens its The Fly
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 02:42 PM   #33
travelinhobo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: No certain place. Catch me when you can.
Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Instead of putting money into the overpaid CEOs pocket who have those items made by exploited labor, go to your local thrift stores and search for rain jackets and bottoms.
travelinhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 02:52 PM   #34
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 27,312
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
I think the OP probably has a job , as Lieutenant , perhaps retired Norwegian Officer, so is Not on The Bum.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 09:01 PM   #35
DropBarFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
How likely is it to find breathable rain gear at a thrift store? OTOH Coleman etc sell low-priced coated rain suits, I suppose they'd be OK for occasional heavier rains.
DropBarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-16, 08:24 AM   #36
jefnvk
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Bikes: Novara Mazama
Posts: 5,212
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
How likely is it to find breathable rain gear at a thrift store? OTOH Coleman etc sell low-priced coated rain suits, I suppose they'd be OK for occasional heavier rains.
I stumbled across an off-brand cycling rain jacket (wolf bike, or something like that) at the Goodwill one day, nice and light, and for $3 it stays strapped on the rack of my after-work bike that lives in my car, for sudden rain showers. It does decently well for anything short of a complete downpour.

Thrift shops aren't great when you are looking for a particular item, they are great for browsing and opportunistically buying. I can't ever recall seeing another cycling jacket in my frequent visits. I do see Frogg Toggs on the random occasion, and a decent number of hunting rain jackets (I don't prefer cycling in camo, though).
jefnvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-16, 12:23 PM   #37
MixedRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
OR ultralight packable rain jacket and swim trunks. Folds up to the size of a George Costanza wallet and it water proof. Only note is that it loses it waterproofness after about 60 days of full on rain. So you either need to apply a coating or get a new one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rain.jpg (73.1 KB, 174 views)
MixedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-16, 01:20 PM   #38
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 14,497
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mule View Post
Bought mine about a year ago. Other than the ladies zipper it's a great jacket.

I bought one back at the end of winter/beginning of spring this year. Now you have me wondering which side the zipper is on.


I agree. Great jacket. I have put it through its paces in cold, windy and wet mountain and coastal weather. And with an REI sale coupon and dividend, it didn't cost me a cent.
indyfabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-16, 01:53 PM   #39
1Mule 
Senior Member
 
1Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vancouver Wa.
Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Lol! I freaking LOVE REI dividends.
1Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-16, 03:41 PM   #40
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Posts: 12,678
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
We are a couple of those weird lightweight freaks who try not to tour when it's below 45 and raining. So for us, a small, breathable, inexpensive and versatile hi-viz wind shell works for the upper body, while leg warmers, booties, and dry suit leg seals keep the lower body feeling good. For us, cycling is a much too aerobic activity to wear waterproof garments. I've tried them, including the Marmot Precip, but had to take them off within 5 miles. Precips work well for us when hiking.
Voler: Jet Men's Wind Jacket

These items, except for the leg seals, are things we would have with us whether we thought it might rain or not. So no added weight, cost, or bulk.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 09:38 PM   #41
Rollingthrough
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Bikes: Klein performance, Trek 520, SurlyDT, KonaBlast Blast, SpecializedHardrock,Schwinn beach cruiser,Cannondale "The Beast", others...
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lots of very good comments here. But I have to agree with the #4 comment by Jamawani. None of em are worth wearing if it means bouncing off a car into a guardrail. And let's face it folks, we have several inexperienced, over-experienced, and judgement impaired drivers out there.( not to mention the perfectly capable driver dealing with bad driving conditions ). STAY OUT OF THE STORM! Or better yet stay on bike paths.😊
Rollingthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 11:14 PM   #42
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingthrough View Post
Lots of very good comments here. But I have to agree with the #4 comment by Jamawani. None of em are worth wearing if it means bouncing off a car into a guardrail. And let's face it folks, we have several inexperienced, over-experienced, and judgement impaired drivers out there.( not to mention the perfectly capable driver dealing with bad driving conditions ). STAY OUT OF THE STORM! Or better yet stay on bike paths.😊
Are there bike paths worth touring near where you live?
Happy Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 07:40 PM   #43
DropBarFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Depends on the area & schedule etc. Taking a day off could wreck a short tour; some touristy areas have light traffic in the rain. Germany/Northern Europe is rainy but better drivers.
DropBarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 08:19 PM   #44
gregjones 
Senior Member
 
gregjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Georgia
Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
Posts: 2,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The closest bike path to me is 16 miles away. How do I get there?

Plus what do I do when I get to the end? It doesn't go anywhere I need to go.
__________________
Current Bike Stages--Click PR Logo
PedalRoom
gregjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 12:55 AM   #45
Lt Stonez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Skien Norway
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Funny this thread came up again since I just recived my new rain jacket. I bought this one https://www.amazon.com/Arcteryx-Beta.../dp/B00136F6M2
It weight more than many other rainjackets (315g) but it looks more like a jacket you can were around dayly than a rainjacket. Used it the other day and people said " hey man, great new jacket" no one said rainjacket many got suprised when I told them that it was a rain/shelljacket. Got it on super sale for 160$ so I just pulled the trigger and bought it. I could have gone lighter, but they dont have OR Helium2 here in Norway. And a OR Helium2 plus tax and shipping is close to 140-160$. And again, I think Arcteryx is more off a jacket
Lt Stonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 10:07 AM   #46
Rollingthrough
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Bikes: Klein performance, Trek 520, SurlyDT, KonaBlast Blast, SpecializedHardrock,Schwinn beach cruiser,Cannondale "The Beast", others...
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Actually the Matanuska Valley where I live in Alaska, has countless miles of pike paths next to roads. Even a bike path part of the way to The mountain. But I think I understand what your saying. Good Luck, and happy riding!
Rollingthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 11:01 AM   #47
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 27,312
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Anorak was Good, just wish it were easier to take off and put on, a double pull Pit Zip that opened at the Hem of it would be ideal..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 08:43 PM   #48
DropBarFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Stonez View Post
Funny this thread came up again since I just recived my new rain jacket. I bought this one https://www.amazon.com/Arcteryx-Beta.../dp/B00136F6M2
It weight more than many other rainjackets (315g) but it looks more like a jacket you can were around dayly than a rainjacket. Used it the other day and people said " hey man, great new jacket" no one said rainjacket many got suprised when I told them that it was a rain/shelljacket. Got it on super sale for 160$ so I just pulled the trigger and bought it. I could have gone lighter, but they dont have OR Helium2 here in Norway. And a OR Helium2 plus tax and shipping is close to 140-160$. And again, I think Arcteryx is more off a jacket
Great deal, has side pockets too. AFAIK not bike-specific but rear looks low enough for riding. Good rain jackets aren't cheap, IMO makes sense to have 4-season versatility & sturdiness like the Beta SL. My region is a lot warmer than Norway but I haven't had over-heating/dampness problem with mid-weight shells.
DropBarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 01:09 PM   #49
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes: Trek 660, Cannondale Adventure 400
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
I like the Marmot Precip but there are dozens of other good jackets out there. When on a bike you likely are producing some heat, so some venting can be nice. I never use the hood while riding, but I like a hooded jacket for campground use.

A good collar that seals off much of the water from coming in is good too.

Make sure it has long enough sleeves so that when you reach forward to the handlebars that the sleeves are still down around your wrists. Some jackets can have sleeves that are a bit too short for cycling.

The higher visibility colors are safer.
I had the Marmot Precip, and the hood adjustment sucked. It kept blowing off of my head. I guess if you have a big head, and or wear a helmet it works.

I got a used Outdoor Research Furio on Ebay. $120, and I wanted lime green. Works great in the rain, and the hood adjustment is excellent. Will work with a helmet, or without one. and it has full side zips so you can also wear it like a poncho.
StarBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 01:13 PM   #50
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes: Trek 660, Cannondale Adventure 400
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
I stumbled across an off-brand cycling rain jacket (wolf bike, or something like that) at the Goodwill one day, nice and light, and for $3 it stays strapped on the rack of my after-work bike that lives in my car, for sudden rain showers. It does decently well for anything short of a complete downpour.

Thrift shops aren't great when you are looking for a particular item, they are great for browsing and opportunistically buying. I can't ever recall seeing another cycling jacket in my frequent visits. I do see Frogg Toggs on the random occasion, and a decent number of hunting rain jackets (I don't prefer cycling in camo, though).
Awfully tough to find good raingear in thrifts. And I have found some great outerware in thrifts over the years. But quality raingear.......one time an older Marmot precip, much better than the more recent ones, but it was an XL. Off it went.

Also I would mention the Outdoor Research helium, and the realm. The helium you could stuff in your pocket.
StarBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION