I'm going to apply for a "renewal" grant that basically allows professionals who work for not-for-profits to get away from work for a little while and pursue something totally recreational and revitalizing.
I'm thinking it would be really fun to take a trans-USA tour.
The grant would be for about $5800. Here are my questions:
1. For $5800 can I buy a solid touring bike and pay for a supported tour, meals, camping/lodging, etc?
2. Can anyone recommend a good touring company for a trans-USA ride?
3. I just started riding this year, but have done two metrics and a century. Is it reasonable to think that I could do a trans-USA ride next spring or fall?
4. Is 5-6 weeks enough time away from work for such a tour?
5. Any other advice or resources you'd suggest?
Thanks in advance!