Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-05, 06:33 AM   #1
Ziemas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mavic A319 Vs A719

What are the practical differences between the Mavic A319 and the A719? Is the A719 a stronger rim? I just nearly taco'd a new Salsa Delgado and am now looking for a stronger rim.

My Mavic T520s lasted for years...
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 04:07 PM   #2
fsor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not know the difference. I can attest that the A719 is very sturdy...I weigh 190 and with panniers and luggage did a fairly rough tour on roads including rocky trails and scree..........one unscheduled drop off a 8" curb (ouch). They are still true. They are not very light, however. E-mail Peter White for advice...he builds good wheels (built mine) and has large experience with rims.
fsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 01:12 AM   #3
Tom N.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is exactly the question I have in mind. I already have an A719 at the rear, and now face the choice of either an A719 or an A319 on the front. The 319 is 30g lighter, but also A$40 cheaper. There are also some other design differences, although they look similar from the outside.

I use my bike (A steel-framed Gemini Randonneur) for loaded touring around 20% of the time, the other 80% split between commuting and long leisure rides. Most (though not all) is on bitumen; the rest on normally fairly smooth unsealed roads.

Any thoughts?
Tom
Tom N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 10:22 AM   #4
becnal
I'm made of earth!
 
becnal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Bikes: Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid, and a Bob Yak trailer. Yak very useful for us car-free types that like to buy lots of beer.
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The A319 is for 28" wheels, the A719 is for 26". At least, that's what my Roseversand catalogue here tells me.
becnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 12:36 PM   #5
fsor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My A719s are 700c....they are about two years old...don't know if they are still made in that size
fsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 01:33 PM   #6
aadhils
Bike Junkie
 
aadhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Bikes: Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a set of A719s built up for my LHT commuter last november. They were 700c.
aadhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 01:59 PM   #7
metal_cowboy
Senior Member
 
metal_cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orting Wa.
Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride 700c A719's on my touring bike and they are great. I am 6'4"/260lbs and have never had any problems with the rims going out of true. I also run a pair on my cyclocross bike; they too have been trouble free.
metal_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 10:19 PM   #8
Johnny Vagabond
Johnny Vagabond
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere in California
Bikes: 2006 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2005 Surly Pugsley, 2004 Surly Karate Monkey with an Xtracycle,
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are worried about the price of A917s, czech this site out:

http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/pro...2b129s116p3419

At $47.03, you can get a pair for the price of one! Just get this price checked at a website like www.speedgoat.com, and when you spend $100, you get free shipping. So, maybe you can pick up some tubes or tires for them, too?

Either way it's a great deal.
Johnny Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 10:32 PM   #9
NoReg
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's euros not dollars. About 60 a piece, plus shipping and any duties.
NoReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 12:47 AM   #10
Ziemas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In Euro Land the cheapest Mavic rims are at the link below. I've bought tons of stuff from this place and their prices can't be beat. The A719 is 33.20 euro which is a little under USD 43 for those of you keeping score at home.

http://www.bike-components.de/catalo...da481ee0948c8e
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 08:09 AM   #11
Johnny Vagabond
Johnny Vagabond
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere in California
Bikes: 2006 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2005 Surly Pugsley, 2004 Surly Karate Monkey with an Xtracycle,
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
That's euros not dollars. About 60 a piece, plus shipping and any duties.
Oddly enough, even though it's euros, the website www.speedgoat.com gives you that price in USD. I forgot to mention that, sorry.

Also, I haven't tried the German site below, but the only Euros I've been able to get www.speedgoat to accept is the site I previously posted about. Give it a try: price match the rims with the website I previously posted and you'll get a pair for under $100. I've done it repeatedly.
Johnny Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 08:18 AM   #12
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,052
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N.
This is exactly the question I have in mind. I already have an A719 at the rear, and now face the choice of either an A719 or an A319 on the front. The 319 is 30g lighter, but also A$40 cheaper. There are also some other design differences, although they look similar from the outside.

I use my bike (A steel-framed Gemini Randonneur) for loaded touring around 20% of the time, the other 80% split between commuting and long leisure rides. Most (though not all) is on bitumen; the rest on normally fairly smooth unsealed roads.

Any thoughts?
Tom
You've got the weights backwards according to the Mavic website. The A719 is lighter. The 719 also has a welded joint which has been milled to be smooth. I assume that the 319 is a pinned rim. Not a big difference but, in my experience, pinned rims can have a slightly annoying 'bump' at the joint during braking.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-06, 10:01 PM   #13
nm+
Ultra-clydesdale
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA or St Paul, MN
Bikes: Titus Racer-X AL/Trek 520(RIP)/Trek 930
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWIW, I'm having an A719/36h wheelsmith/LX combo built up in whitefish to replaced my cracked bontrager mavrick rear rim. I still have 3000mi left so, I'll be able to give you a full report, just take a while.
I am the ultimate rim torture test -- 250+ lbs withy 75lbs of gear. I have broken ever rear rim I've had touring with exception of my 36 hole Rhynolites on my 26in converted tourer. I've seen the a719 and it looks really beefy and feel confident trusting it through eastern montana
nm+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-06, 10:54 PM   #14
mtnroads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon and SE Asia
Bikes: Waterford ST-22, Jamis Quest Elite, Jamis Dragon Pro
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The A719 is stronger than the A319/A119, according to specs I saw somewhere a few months back. It was something like 265lbs max for the A119/A319, and around 300lb for the A719, or whatever those numbers would be in Kg, which is what I saw. Not a huge difference but some extra margin for safety when loaded.
mtnroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:00 AM.