Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-05, 10:20 PM   #1
thechamp
loser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: portland, or
Bikes: steyr, lejeune, schwinn, sears, crescent, blah blah blah.
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
touring bike headset qestion

I'm thinking about picking up an older bridgestone touring frameset from a local shop but it's a bare frame and fork. I figure that the loads on a touring rig headset are considerably more than your average roadbike (esp wthi front panniers) but I'm at a loss when it comes to picking a headset. Cartridge or ball or needle.... hmm.

Anyway, I'm kind of a cheapskate but not a total cheapskate so I'm thinking (cartridge) shimano 105, but am nagged by the thought of a (needle bearing) stronglight. Any thoughts?

And no, I won't quadrouple the cost of the frameset by getting a king, at least, not till I find me a sugar mama.
thechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-05, 10:30 PM   #2
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stronglight A-9. Lightweight, durable, repairable and affordable. How can you beat that?
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 08:59 AM   #3
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,296
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp
I'm thinking about picking up an older bridgestone touring frameset from a local shop but it's a bare frame and fork. I figure that the loads on a touring rig headset are considerably more than your average roadbike (esp wthi front panniers) but I'm at a loss when it comes to picking a headset. Cartridge or ball or needle.... hmm.

Anyway, I'm kind of a cheapskate but not a total cheapskate so I'm thinking (cartridge) shimano 105, but am nagged by the thought of a (needle bearing) stronglight. Any thoughts?

And no, I won't quadrouple the cost of the frameset by getting a king, at least, not till I find me a sugar mama.
Unless you are considering doing months or years long trips, the 105 or a Cane Creek or the Stronglights should all work well. Most of us only tour for a few weeks at best so the stress on the headset is probably not that much greater then a regular road bike. With bags on the front it may even be a little less because the inertia of the bags serves to dampen the shock to the bearings. (A bit of handwaving there)
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 10:37 AM   #4
bandregg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Bikes: 2008 ANT Custom 29er, 2005 Independent Fabrications Club Racer, 2004 Specialized Langster S-Works, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2004 Titus Racer-X
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride Chris King's on every bike I can get them on. Before you get all "that's exactly what I said I didn't want, bonehead!" on me think about it this way. A good headset can be moved from bike to bike, and a good headset should last over ten years. So, if you amortize the cost of the King over that timeframe you're paying 10 or less dollars a year for your headset. I think that's a pretty good price for never having to worry about it. And, should you choose to switch back and forth between threaded and threadless when switching forks you can leave the cups pressed and just buy the conversion kits, which are pretty cheap.

That's just me though, I don't skimp on something that carries me down the street.
bandregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 11:09 AM   #5
frameteam2003
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pleasanton Tx
Bikes: old,older.and very old
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good enough for waterford:
http://greatadventuresports.com/site...and=417&type=T
frameteam2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 12:54 PM   #6
thechamp
loser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: portland, or
Bikes: steyr, lejeune, schwinn, sears, crescent, blah blah blah.
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks guys. I'm still bouncing between the a9 and the 105 but it's nice to hear cycco say that touring headsets aren't really going to be brutalized in most circumstances.

And I know what you mean bandregg. I'm a carpenter and I don't skimp on my tools. And I like buying American and chrisking is right here in portland. But I've got about 10 bikes, six of which are running at any one time. There's only 2 that I ride enough to justify a CK and they're both odd size. I also have maybe $250 or less in each bike total, so buying them all chriskings is a little silly. I suppose if you've got money to burn though, king hubs and headset for all around!
thechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 12:57 PM   #7
thechamp
loser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: portland, or
Bikes: steyr, lejeune, schwinn, sears, crescent, blah blah blah.
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually. having said that, who ever died from a headset wearing out? If I'm going to spend big money to carry me down the street, it's probably going to be on hubs and brakes.
thechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 01:15 PM   #8
racpat_rtw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boise, ID
Bikes: Vittorio Strada randoneur
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any of you know a good place to buy a Stronglight headset? I want to put one on my wife's touring bike. Also want to replace the needle bearings in mine before the next "big" trip. Have you seen replacement bearings for sale anywhere?
Thanks,
racpat_rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 06:17 PM   #9
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racpat_rtw
Any of you know a good place to buy a Stronglight headset? I want to put one on my wife's touring bike. Also want to replace the needle bearings in mine before the next "big" trip. Have you seen replacement bearings for sale anywhere?
Thanks,
Harris cyclery sells the a9. I think it's also in the QBP catalog so any shop can order it. Replacement bearings are available from french shop http://www.xxcycle.com/. They can handle exchange rates and are surprisingly reasonable for shipping.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 06:40 PM   #10
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandregg
I ride Chris King's on every bike I can get them on. Before you get all "that's exactly what I said I didn't want, bonehead!" on me think about it this way. A good headset can be moved from bike to bike, and a good headset should last over ten years. So, if you amortize the cost of the King over that timeframe you're paying 10 or less dollars a year for your headset. I think that's a pretty good price for never having to worry about it. And, should you choose to switch back and forth between threaded and threadless when switching forks you can leave the cups pressed and just buy the conversion kits, which are pretty cheap.

That's just me though, I don't skimp on something that carries me down the street.
All headsets need to be maintained (even CKs). Any good headset will last indefinitely if it is properly maintained. A Stronglight A9 costs $50. The one on my touring bike is 20 years old. The needle bearings can't index the races (which are replaceable anyway). The A9 weighs less than every CK made. It's a FAR better value.

I just don't see an economic justification for CK headsets or PW hubs either for that matter. If somebody wanted to buy me a CK, I'd take it happily but I couldn't spend my own money on it.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-05, 12:19 AM   #11
vosyer
WATERFORD22
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Bilenky, Co-Motion, 1969 Paramount, Waterford Adventure Cycle, Waterford rs 22, 1980 Davidson etc.
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have three bikes with xt, 2 steel campys, 2 Chris King,and a Raceface - all are fine if maintained properly
vosyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 PM.