Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member marmotte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg Germany
    My Bikes
    Canyon Alu
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    trailor-tour from germany to spain

    Hi all!

    Look at the pictures of my august '05 bicycle tour from germany to spain.
    It was a somewhat rainy 1600 km trip, but I enjoyed it very much even during rain.
    I started in Baden-Baden (although I live in Heidelberg, which is 100 km in the north), because it's easy to have a flight back into Baden-Baden (where I had left my car) and I reached Girona (north eastern spain near Barcelona), which took 10 days of travelling.
    The site is in german, but don't hesitate to email or use the forum for further questions.

    Click on the red points for the pictures and/or use the navigation bars below them. You can go back to the map if you click on the pictures.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kesroberts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Worcester, Mass.
    My Bikes
    Several
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos! Looks like an excellent route. I'm ready to go!

  3. #3
    qqy
    qqy is offline
    ▒▒▒▒▒▒
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Canadian looking to Tour thorugh Europe this spring and summer. Are the any routes in Germany/Austria/Switzerland that you recommend? I may do your route in reverse to get to Germany after France. How do Germans feel about cyclotourists? I imagine that as long as I don't so anything stupid or that upset the order of traffic, I'll be fine.

  4. #4
    Senior Member marmotte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg Germany
    My Bikes
    Canyon Alu
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qqy
    I'm a Canadian looking to Tour thorugh Europe this spring and summer. Are the any routes in Germany/Austria/Switzerland that you recommend?
    Hi qqy!
    I like the Neckar valley heading down south (starting from Heidelberg) and Black forest, but avoid greater roads called Bundesstrasse. The little roads and many small paths are paved, too. Go from little town to little town, everywhere you will get help and good advices. In Austria and Switzerland it's like in Germany: avoid greater roads, every little road is ok. I can't give a fovorite route, it depends on what you prefer to ride. I like mountain roads, which means over 2000 m, maybe you don't like them. Just google some nice places and find a route for your own, it will be nice.

    I may do your route in reverse to get to Germany after France. How do Germans feel about cyclotourists? I imagine that as long as I don't so anything stupid or that upset the order of traffic, I'll be fine.
    Germans like cyclotourists, everyone has a bike and lot of them do long distance trips along the valley roads. If there is a sideway for bicycles: use it. But if you ride with a racing bike (like I do) the sideways often are too short (or bad paved), you may decide for the road. It's not allowed, if there is a bicycle-sideway, but I never had problems with it.
    marmotte

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice that you didn't show much traffic. That seems a bit odd - were your routes really that quiet?

    Also - it looks like you rode on tow paths where ever possible. Was that so?

  6. #6
    Rocketship Underpants Dwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grüße aus Pennsylvania!

    Die Strecke sieht wirklich toll aus. Ich habe schon den Vorschlag gemacht mit meiner Freundin das ich gerne so etwas unternehmen möchte, and sie scheint auch interessiert zu sein. Tja, da gibts nur eins... ich muss ihr ein Fahrrad (oder zwei) zulegen.

    Die Bilder sind super, leider bekommt man da ein wenig Heimweh (Neckarsulm, in der nähe von Heilbronn).

    Dwayne

  7. #7
    qqy
    qqy is offline
    ▒▒▒▒▒▒
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to use my racing bike over there, but I fear for its safety! I imagine that my bike would be stolen if I ever left if locked outside.

    I'm building a touring bike up for the trip (my last one was stolen recently from my house). I'm trying to keep the bike as fast as possible, but am using rear panniers and a messenger bag (don't like trailers). For the roads, I was thinking of using 700Cx27 Conti gatorskins. Would that be large enough for the dirt trails in the mountains in Switzerland/Austria? I'm not fond of climbing mountains with a load, but I'll do it when necessary en route.

  8. #8
    Senior Member marmotte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg Germany
    My Bikes
    Canyon Alu
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclintom
    I notice that you didn't show much traffic. That seems a bit odd - were your routes really that quiet?

    Also - it looks like you rode on tow paths where ever possible. Was that so?
    Yes, Cyclintom,
    the routes are quiet, if you take the smaller ones (these roads are the white ones on michelin maps, sometimes the yellow ones, too). People go to the coast in summer, so you will have anough quiet places in the center.
    Because I ride a racing bike I need tow paths. Otherwise I couldn't ride up to 190 km / day


    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    Grüße aus Pennsylvania!

    Die Strecke sieht wirklich toll aus. Ich habe schon den Vorschlag gemacht mit meiner Freundin das ich gerne so etwas unternehmen möchte, and sie scheint auch interessiert zu sein. Tja, da gibts nur eins... ich muss ihr ein Fahrrad (oder zwei) zulegen.

    Die Bilder sind super, leider bekommt man da ein wenig Heimweh (Neckarsulm, in der nähe von Heilbronn).

    Dwayne
    Ja, Dwayne, das klappt gut zu zweit. Ich selber fahre normalerweise im Sommer mit meiner Frau die Alpenpässe von Genf nach Nizza und weiter nach Korsika, und wir mussten noch nie vorzeitig abbrechen (meine Spanientour habe ich gemacht, weil meine Frau dieses Jahr nicht konnte).
    Ich kenne Neckarsulm gut, liegt ja in der Nähe von Heidelberg.


    Quote Originally Posted by qqy
    I'd like to use my racing bike over there, but I fear for its safety! I imagine that my bike would be stolen if I ever left if locked outside.
    I'm building a touring bike up for the trip (my last one was stolen recently from my house). I'm trying to keep the bike as fast as possible, but am using rear panniers and a messenger bag (don't like trailers). For the roads, I was thinking of using 700Cx27 Conti gatorskins. Would that be large enough for the dirt trails in the mountains in Switzerland/Austria? I'm not fond of climbing mountains with a load, but I'll do it when necessary en route.
    I only know the mountain (paved) tar roads, not the trails, but I think you will always find a 'bikeable' trail, specially with 700Cx27 Conti. I have an anti-theft system: if someone tries to steel my bike, he will hear a bad 120 dB alarm noise. I had it on camping grounds and in Hotel cellars. Our bikes were never stolen all these years.

    marmotte

  9. #9
    I'm made of earth! becnal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid, and a Bob Yak trailer. Yak very useful for us car-free types that like to buy lots of beer.
    Posts
    2,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode from Frankfurt to Sanitago this summer. Great ride, and biking in Germany is fabulous. You always have a bicycle path. Long distance national and international bike paths criss cross this country from top to bottom!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •