Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-05, 02:00 PM   #1
Jim827
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Bikes: Cannondale Super V800, Easy Racers Gold Rush, Rans V-Rex
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Building a Rails to Trails tourer?

I honestly donít need another bike, BUT Iíve found myself wondering if I could build a decent inexpensive Rails to Trails tourer. Iíd like to build a comfortable bike, capable of riding the C&O, Allegheny Trail, Greenbrier River Trail and many other unpaved trails.
I rode a section of the C&O on my full suspension MTB with BOB trailer, but Iíd really
like to simplify, with a bike built to carry my camping gear.

Of course, part of this is just to have the satisfaction of building my own bike. Iíve never tried building up a bike and Iím not much of a mechanic, but I can turn a wrench and follow instructions.
Iíd like to keep the cost as low as possible. My S.O. is pretty understanding, but after buying two new recumbents this year I donít want to ďpush the envelopeĒ so to speak.

Nashbar is selling a MTB frame for $79...

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Would this be a good start? Could I build this up to an inexpensive off road tourer or would I be better off buying a Surly LHT frame and starting from there. Iím not even sure what a LHT frame sells for, but after looking at bikes made by Fixer and eofelis I find myself drooling and wanting to build my own rig.

Any suggestions?
Jim827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 06:32 PM   #2
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,044
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim827
I honestly donít need another bike, BUT Iíve found myself wondering if I could build a decent inexpensive Rails to Trails tourer. Iíd like to build a comfortable bike, capable of riding the C&O, Allegheny Trail, Greenbrier River Trail and many other unpaved trails.
I rode a section of the C&O on my full suspension MTB with BOB trailer, but Iíd really
like to simplify, with a bike built to carry my camping gear.

Of course, part of this is just to have the satisfaction of building my own bike. Iíve never tried building up a bike and Iím not much of a mechanic, but I can turn a wrench and follow instructions.
Iíd like to keep the cost as low as possible. My S.O. is pretty understanding, but after buying two new recumbents this year I donít want to ďpush the envelopeĒ so to speak.

Nashbar is selling a MTB frame for $79...

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Would this be a good start? Could I build this up to an inexpensive off road tourer or would I be better off buying a Surly LHT frame and starting from there. Iím not even sure what a LHT frame sells for, but after looking at bikes made by Fixer and eofelis I find myself drooling and wanting to build my own rig.

Any suggestions?
The Nashbar frame might not be the best because it doesn't appear to have eyelets. Look at the Nashbar touring frame. You could build it with flat bars and make it a "29er" wannabe. I've ridden railtrails (and parts of the C&O) on rigid bikes and it's not impossible. Not as comfortable as a bike with suspension but okay.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 07:50 PM   #3
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle
 
eofelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Western Colorado
Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim827
Could I build this up to an inexpensive off road tourer or would I be better off buying a Surly LHT frame and starting from there. Iím not even sure what a LHT frame sells for, but after looking at bikes made by Fixer and eofelis I find myself drooling and wanting to build my own rig.

Any suggestions?

Surly LHT frame/fork is abour $400. Any bike shop can order one for you. I have 2 Surlys now and I'm quite pleased with the quality for the price.
__________________
Gunnar Sport
Specialized Ruby
Salsa Vaya Ti
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
eofelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 08:15 PM   #4
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed
 
BeTheChange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Boone, NC
Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I broke my trek 520 frame and built up a LHT with the parts. I like the LHT for touring much more. It is more upright and comfortable for many miles in the saddle. It really was a well thought out frame geometry for touring, the best I've ridden so far. And with the LHT people know you had to build it up so it shows you know your stuff (at least a little). Also the LHT has some cool spoke holders on the chain stay. When I get some time I need to get some spokes to put in them. It will also fit some pretty large tires so not a problem for non paved trails.
BeTheChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 11:58 AM   #5
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Another option is an old MTB as a starting point. Here is a thread of a similar project I did a few months ago. I started in a different direction but came across a good old steel MTB that worked out great. Relaxed geometry, rack and fender eyelets and parts useable until upgraded later. So far I have used the bike for a long ride on the Silver Comet, exploring dirt roads, easy rides around town and even a little easy single track and off road riding just to see if it could do it . It did just fine. I spent about $600 total but could have done it for half that by using more of the original parts.
Dirt Road/Rough Pavement Touring Bike


BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 01:43 PM   #6
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The Nashbar frame might not be the best because it doesn't appear to have eyelets. Look at the Nashbar touring frame. You could build it with flat bars and make it a "29er" wannabe. I've ridden railtrails (and parts of the C&O) on rigid bikes and it's not impossible. Not as comfortable as a bike with suspension but okay.
Look closer. It's got eyelets. Even with the matching Nashbar fork, it's significantly cheaper than the touring frame (and it comes with a free seatpost!) I think it sounds like a perfect rail/trail tourer on a budget.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 07:46 PM   #7
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,044
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Look closer. It's got eyelets. Even with the matching Nashbar fork, it's significantly cheaper than the touring frame (and it comes with a free seatpost!) I think it sounds like a perfect rail/trail tourer on a budget.
It looks like it has rack mounts on the chainstays and I might even be able to see a threaded boss on the drive side but I can't see anything on the right side except the disc tabs. It does say that it has rack mounts in the write up information but that can mean anything. If it has rack mounts on both sides, I'd agree on it being a good choice.

Jim827: Give them a call and see if it has rack mounts on both sides. If it does, drop the hammer!
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 PM.