Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member gregw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Touring "pedal" kayak, interesting

    I guess this is off topic, but it is for touring and you do pedal it. Very interesting drive system, I think it would be great for river, lake or ocean touring. Very simular to bike touring.

    http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_adventure.html

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member librarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ocean City, NJ
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR Touring, Raleigh Sport Comfort, Cannondale ST400, Cannondale Road Bike
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Hobie Outback fisherman model as do quite a few people around Ocean City/Brigantine area. The Root Beer Barrel started the kayak fishing movement in South Jersey. It has revolutionized kayak fishing. If you are interested in finding out more go to Kayak Fishing Stuff (from North Jersey)They have a BB that Matt Miller from Hobie frequent for any questions.

    BTW I have a fishfinder, lights, anchor, extra hatch, and ice chest on my outback.

  3. #3
    Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Schenectady NY & Wilmington NC
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Posts
    1,630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was one last summer That a local kayak shop was letting people try out. The drive worked good for me but I couldn't go backwards and it didn't manuver well in a tight spot. The crank arms felt sloppy also ,I'm not sure if this was due to wear or design? It still worked well but it just didn't inspire confidence to go a long distance. Overall it was fun but I wouldn't buy it , I would like to try it again in a better hull(longer and narrower) and with a smoother pedal action before I would consider buying one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member gregw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by librarian
    I have the Hobie Outback fisherman model as do quite a few people around Ocean City/Brigantine area. The Root Beer Barrel started the kayak fishing movement in South Jersey. It has revolutionized kayak fishing. If you are interested in finding out more go to Kayak Fishing Stuff (from North Jersey)They have a BB that Matt Miller from Hobie frequent for any questions.

    BTW I have a fishfinder, lights, anchor, extra hatch, and ice chest on my outback.
    I rented the outback in Florida this past summer and it worked great, however I'm not much of a fisherman and fishing pretty much sucks here in kentucky. When I was pedaling it around, I said to myself, "If they only made a long touring model that was fast and could pack camping gear than that would be for me!" Well that's what they did, this model just that and I think I must get one! It got great reviews on the web site you mentioned, that looks like a great fishing site. What is the root beer barrel?

  5. #5
    Senior Member librarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ocean City, NJ
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR Touring, Raleigh Sport Comfort, Cannondale ST400, Cannondale Road Bike
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregw
    I rented the outback in Florida this past summer and it worked great, however I'm not much of a fisherman and fishing pretty much sucks here in kentucky. When I was pedaling it around, I said to myself, "If they only made a long touring model that was fast and could pack camping gear than that would be for me!" Well that's what they did, this model just that and I think I must get one! It got great reviews on the web site you mentioned, that looks like a great fishing site. What is the root beer barrel?
    Root Beer Barrell is a surf/kayak shop in Brigantine NJ. Barrell, the owner has been kayak fishing for years. http://www.rbbsurf.com/

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rogerinchrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Plymouth,WI
    My Bikes
    TREK-520 & 830
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those that have not been HERE yet. You'll find most everything to include pulling water skiers & hydrofoils!!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Hobie tandem. It pedals different than a bike, but it's fun & pretty fast. The drive system used on these kayaks are very impressive.

    Mark

  8. #8
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregw
    I guess this is off topic, but it is for touring and you do pedal it. Very interesting drive system, I think it would be great for river, lake or ocean touring. Very simular to bike touring.

    http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_adventure.html

    What do you think?
    As a peddler and paddler I think you can move a kayak more effeciently through water with a regular paddle. Doing both sports allows you to use both upper and lower muscle groups. But that's me and most think I nuts....so take it for what it's worth;-)

  9. #9
    Junior Member BearLite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This model actually looks like a half-decent sitontop touring kayak. The other Hobie Mirage models were to wide and short to be interesting for me, but this one I'd love to try out. I wonder how the rudder is controlled? if it is done by using one hand, you couldn't use a paddle at the same time of course.. Adding a sail also, you'll have lots of different options..

  10. #10
    Senior Member gregw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BearLite
    This model actually looks like a half-decent sitontop touring kayak. The other Hobie Mirage models were to wide and short to be interesting for me, but this one I'd love to try out. I wonder how the rudder is controlled? if it is done by using one hand, you couldn't use a paddle at the same time of course.. Adding a sail also, you'll have lots of different options..
    The rudder is hand controlled, but it seems to me that if you are using the paddle you would just retract the rudder and steer with you paddle strokes. I bet you could really move pedaling while under sail!

    Your right the other models are very wide and could not be paddled well at all. This one being much more narrow paddles very well according to several reviews that I have read.

    I have found a few web-sites with extended kayak and canoe tours, like the full length of the Mississippi, paddling the San Juan Islands and Hood Canal. Seems like a natural for a touring cyclist's cross-over sport. I plan on getting one this spring and giving it a try.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Rogerinchrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Plymouth,WI
    My Bikes
    TREK-520 & 830
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many $?

  12. #12
    Junior Member BearLite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prices start at US$1699. Sailing kit is US$270.
    http://www.water-play.com/2003Site/K...dvetnure.shtml

  13. #13
    Senior Member Rogerinchrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Plymouth,WI
    My Bikes
    TREK-520 & 830
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BearLite
    Prices start at US$1699. Sailing kit is US$270.
    http://www.water-play.com/2003Site/K...dvetnure.shtml
    Thanks for the links!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Cherry Hill,NJ
    Posts
    1,127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hobie pedal kayaks are great for things like fishing, where your hands are too busy to paddle. Also good for those with disabilities that would hamper normal paddling. I'm not saying they're bad boats, however, their usefulness ends there. Having flippers under the boat defeats one of a kayak's primary benefits, it's ability to go into extremely shallow water. The flippers also negatively affect the the boat's speed and it's ability to glide through the water. Having a mechanical system in the boat defeats it's simplicity. Serious sea kayaking, the ability to cover long distances in a variety of sea conditions, requires boats that are up to the task. These boats have excellent tracking, stability, and boat speed. None have pedals. The longer a boat, the better it's tracking. A good place to start, if you're serious, would be with boats made by Current Designs. If you really like the Hobie kayaks, I will vouch for the quality of Hobie products. I've owned a Hobie 16 catamaran for 20 years. Fun and fast and built to last!
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  15. #15
    Senior Member gregw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, have you looked at the Adventure model? it is 16 feet long and quite narrow, none of the previous models would have fit into the "touring" category. I agree that if the majority of your use is shallow water than the flippers are of no use, but if it is just occasional, than they are fine. You can just tuck the flippers against the hull (one foot forward) and paddle or remove the pedal drive altogether and paddle. It seems like this boat is the best of both worlds to me, but I'm no expert.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Rogerinchrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Plymouth,WI
    My Bikes
    TREK-520 & 830
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is about the right size, kind of pricey, would be better with some sort of cockpit cover/skirt while onboard. Looks like they'd build to suit though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •