Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-06, 08:21 PM   #1
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 4,736
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Considering security, weight and cost, what is the most reasonable (not necessarily the best) lock to take on tour?

I currently have one of these but I wonder if it is secure enough? I usually only leave my bike unattended in very low crime areas and I figure it's good enough to discourage the "honest" thief.
spinnaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 08:39 PM   #2
Camel
Caffeinated.
 
Camel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Waltham, MA
Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I take a bit thicker cable. One that I can't cut with simple hand snippers/pliers without a bit of work (ie a tool most folks might have in a car toolbox).
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 08:44 PM   #3
gregw
Senior Member
 
gregw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Considering security, weight and cost, what is the most reasonable (not necessarily the best) lock to take on tour?

I currently have one of these but I wonder if it is secure enough? I usually only leave my bike unattended in very low crime areas and I figure it's good enough to discourage the "honest" thief.
That lock is fine, your just trying to keep honest people honest. A bike thief will be able to cut through most anything. Dirty touring bikes are not a big target for thieves anyway. I use a long thin plastic coated cable so that I can wrap around odd size and shaped things, also hate fighting with a tightly coiled bike cable. My 2 cents
gregw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 08:45 PM   #4
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you really must, an OnGuard mini ULock does the trick. If you're going to lock it, lock it with a good lock. There are no honest thieves. The OnGuard Mini is pretty lightweight for a real lock.

But I don't think it's really necessary .
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 08:54 PM   #5
gregw
Senior Member
 
gregw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supcom
If you really must, an OnGuard mini ULock does the trick. If you're going to lock it, lock it with a good lock. There are no honest thieves. The OnGuard Mini is pretty lightweight for a real lock.

But I don't think it's really necessary .
Your right, there are no honest thieves, but there are plenty of semi-honest opportunist, just don't give them the opportunity.
gregw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 09:12 PM   #6
velonomad 
Older I get, Better I was
 
velonomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Greenfield Lake, Wilmington NC
Bikes: '14 BD Lurch Fatbike, '10 custom road,'06 custom expedition, '94 Yokota Tandem, '88 custom MTB
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I also just use a slim 9mm diameter cable lock. It keeps the casual thieves away. I like combination locks so I don't have to keep track of a key
velonomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 11:59 PM   #7
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"honest thieves"
"semi-honest opportunists"
"casual thieves"

Strange terms. Maybe "ethically challenged" would be more PC? If one of these creatures does make off with your bike, I suspect you'll find it parked in front of a nearby church.

A crook is a crook in my little book.

Still, the chances of your loaded touring bike being stolen in small town America are pretty slim - even if the rare semi-honest opportunist does come along. I hope he doesn't have his semi-sharp pair of bolt cutters in his truck.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 12:32 AM   #8
velonomad 
Older I get, Better I was
 
velonomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Greenfield Lake, Wilmington NC
Bikes: '14 BD Lurch Fatbike, '10 custom road,'06 custom expedition, '94 Yokota Tandem, '88 custom MTB
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supcom
"honest thieves"
"semi-honest opportunists"
"casual thieves"

Strange terms. Maybe "ethically challenged" would be more PC? If one of these creatures does make off with your bike, I suspect you'll find it parked in front of a nearby church.

A crook is a crook in my little book.

Still, the chances of your loaded touring bike being stolen in small town America are pretty slim - even if the rare semi-honest opportunist does come along. I hope he doesn't have his semi-sharp pair of bolt cutters in his truck.
Maybe you need a book with pictures, No one was trying to be "PC" Bubba in his truck with bolt cutters is there to steal your bike, A bored 15 year old kid walks by and sees a unlocked bike and wants to take it on a joy ride and dump it in the woods, both are thieves One theft is of purpose, one theft is of opportunity. A simple $8 cable lock thwarts the opportunist. You have improved your odds 50% so what is the issue?
velonomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 12:57 AM   #9
NoReg
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The issue is that when you are on tour it seems most people have less expectation of bike loss. For me it is just another ride. I use exactly the same U look. My bike is never worth more, or full of more valuable stuff, documents. I can't empty all the valuables when I go shoping for groceries. I also end up in the same cities that people loose bikes in every day.
NoReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 02:24 AM   #10
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wyoming
Bikes:
Posts: 2,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Nasty underwear drying under bungie cords or straps on your panniers does even more to keep the potential theives away than any lock. Female "unmentionables" are guaranteed to keep 99.8% of potential male thieves at 60 paces or more.
jamawani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 05:23 AM   #11
gregw
Senior Member
 
gregw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawani
Nasty underwear drying under bungie cords or straps on your panniers does even more to keep the potential theives away than any lock. Female "unmentionables" are guaranteed to keep 99.8% of potential male thieves at 60 paces or more.
Maybe back along some plastic vomit to lay down in front of your bike lock.
gregw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 06:24 AM   #12
BearLite
Junior Member
 
BearLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Making the bike look old, cheap and dirty is a good tip. Make sure all expensive extras are easy to bring when the bike is parked. Replace quicklocks for saddle and wheels with those that require tools. Park it next to a much nicer bike.. I agree that combination locks are a good way of avoiding the problem with lost keys. I bring a wire lock+a very heavy U-lock on rides. I think I'll get a lighter U-lock for rides outside of towns.
BearLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 07:57 AM   #13
stokell
Senior Member
 
stokell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Road
Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took my new and expensive (for me) touring bike to Europe. I took the locks I normally use with me. I have a Stock lock. It looks like a u-bolt, but it is not. It weighs alot and has a 20 minute street rating. Someone gave it a try while I was holed-up in a B&B. They failed. The second lock is a coiled Krypto. It can lock the front wheels or if no immoveable object is available, a tree or pole will do and I lock the Stock to the coil.

I also have one of those dollar store door/window alarms. It went off one night while I was stealth camping beside a canal. I couldn't take the bike with me into the spot, so I left it just off the tow path. The sound of running feet meant it had worked too.

That being said, I don't want to make anyone paranoid. I've travelled for many years and I can only recall a handleful of incidents. Obviously security works, because I still haven't lost my bike while on tour.
stokell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 09:18 AM   #14
Camel
Caffeinated.
 
Camel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Waltham, MA
Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokell
...
I also have one of those dollar store door/window alarms. It went off one night while I was stealth camping beside a canal. I couldn't take the bike with me into the spot, so I left it just off the tow path. The sound of running feet meant it had worked too...
I just ordered a "personal panic alarm" (or some such), for EXACTLY the use you note above. I'll either be using it on my bike on occassion when camping, or on guesthouse/no star hotels' door knobs.

Note that I'm not overly paranoid (really), just using good travel sense. Many low end hotels/guest houses do not have secure door locks. On prior trips I've just piled up gear (or my bike on occassion) against the door with the hopes that anyone trying to enter would make a racket + wake me.
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 12:51 PM   #15
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velonomad
Maybe you need a book with pictures, No one was trying to be "PC" Bubba in his truck with bolt cutters is there to steal your bike, A bored 15 year old kid walks by and sees a unlocked bike and wants to take it on a joy ride and dump it in the woods, both are thieves One theft is of purpose, one theft is of opportunity. A simple $8 cable lock thwarts the opportunist. You have improved your odds 50% so what is the issue?
My issue is that if you feel it's necessary, a good mini U-Lock will provide better protection than a walmart cable lock.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 05:10 PM   #16
Lolly Pop
Senior Member
 
Lolly Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norn'Iron
Bikes: Gardin
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like the plastic vomit idea, personally.
Lolly Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 05:10 PM   #17
Lolly Pop
Senior Member
 
Lolly Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norn'Iron
Bikes: Gardin
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, with a good u-lock and cable lock, that is.

the on-guard mini is supposed to be very good.
Lolly Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 05:13 PM   #18
Chicane
dynamic bike boost duh ?
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: QC, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
I just ordered a "personal panic alarm" (or some such), for EXACTLY the use you note above. I'll either be using it on my bike on occassion when camping, or on guesthouse/no star hotels' door knobs.

Note that I'm not overly paranoid (really), just using good travel sense. Many low end hotels/guest houses do not have secure door locks. On prior trips I've just piled up gear (or my bike on occassion) against the door with the hopes that anyone trying to enter would make a racket + wake me.
Where did you ordered your alarm ?
Chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 06:04 AM   #19
Camel
Caffeinated.
 
Camel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Waltham, MA
Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane
Where did you ordered your alarm ?
I forget. The info's on my brothers computer. I'll post a link/recommendation after I've recieved it & played w/it (if it's any good).
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 06:12 AM   #20
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I carry a OnGuard U lock and the NY Faggedaboudit lock with my Multilock padlock.

It would suck to have your bike stolen while on tour. I'm cool with the extra weight. It's just exercise for me. I also have a chain for the alarm- I got it after my last trip, but I'll start using it when I'm travelling abroad also. I also tie my panniers to the racks with bungee cords, and I have a trailer that has a combination lock that takes some work to get into.

Koffee
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 12:08 PM   #21
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic
 
Ken Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: Cannondale T800
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't relax unless I feel my bike is secure. I carry a U lock and it is probably the heaviest single thing I carry, but I feel it is worth it.
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 01:26 PM   #22
stokell
Senior Member
 
stokell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Road
Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
check this out

Click on 'check this out' on one of the frames on the lower left. Someone went after the lock with a 4x4!
stokell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 06:13 AM   #23
squire
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about a well used empty handgun holster in clear view.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 PM.