Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-06, 06:35 PM   #1
babysaph
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trekking bars and grip shifters

is it possible to put my grip shifters on trekking bars. I like my grip shifters
babysaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 07:59 PM   #2
seawhip
Snow trekkie
 
seawhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wilton, CT
Bikes: Novara Safari; Fuji Special Road Racer
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysaph
is it possible to put my grip shifters on trekking bars. I like my grip shifters
babysaph,

on my novara safari it comes with trekking bars and SRAM attack grip shifters so it should be fairly easy to do
seawhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 09:49 PM   #3
tacomee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, it's a super easy deal. Treking bars, grip sfifters, v-brakes-- easy to instal and work on!
tacomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 04:33 AM   #4
robmcl
Prairie Path Commuter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Forest Park, IL
Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Totally yes . . . . this is one of the main reasons poeple use these bars! They are MTB component compatible. Putting drops on a MTB is a bigger project that includes buying new shifters, brake levers,etc.
robmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 10:38 AM   #5
Miles2go
Zen Master
 
Miles2go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: On the water in Western Washington
Bikes: More than a few.
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcl
Totally yes . . . . this is one of the main reasons poeple use these bars! They are MTB component compatible. Putting drops on a MTB is a bigger project that includes buying new shifters, brake levers,etc.

I wouldn't say it's one of the main reasons people use these bars. That may be selling trekking bars short.

Most of the talk I've heard about switching to them relates to hand positions available and an upright riding position. If I remember right, there are eight bikes with trekking bars currently in the Fully Loaded Touring Bike - Photo Gallery ... At least a couple are utilizing the same bar end shifters they could have used with drop bars.

My wife is such an example. I was looking forward to installing drop bars on her touring bike (based on a mtb). However, she'd tried out the trekking bars on a Novara Safari and liked them a lot. When I installed the trekking bars we stuck with bar end shifters because of their simplicity. This was in 2003 and she still loves those bars.

I'm not putting down grip shift though. This all comes down to personal preference.

Cheers,
__________________
Ron - Washington
The Loaded Touring Bike - Photo Gallery
Since 2005 - Worldwide - No Ads - Just Inspiration

Last edited by Miles2go; 04-15-06 at 02:41 PM.
Miles2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 11:32 AM   #6
staple
rained out
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have trekking bars that I installed on my hybrid. I'm still using the grip shifts that were originally on the bike. They work perfectly, and of course provide many, many hand positions -- the reason I put them on in the first place.

This picture isn't very detailed, but it will give you the idea: click here.
staple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 07:32 PM   #7
robmcl
Prairie Path Commuter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Forest Park, IL
Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles2go
I wouldn't say it's one of the main reasons people use these bars. That may be selling trekking bars short.

Most of the talk I've heard about switching to them relates to hand positions available and an upright riding position. If I remember right, there are eight bikes with trekking bars currently in the Fully Loaded Touring Bike - Photo Gallery ... At least a couple are utilizing the same bar end shifters they could have used with drop bars.

My wife is such an example. I was looking forward to installing drop bars on her touring bike (based on a mtb). However, she'd tried out the trekking bars on a Novara Safari and liked them a lot. When I installed the trekking bars we stuck with bar end shifters because of their simplicity. This was in 2003 and she still loves those bars.

I'm not putting down grip shift though. This all comes down to personal preference.

Cheers,
I am not ripping trekking bars because I just installed them on my MTB . . . . but not having to go out and buy new shifters, break levers, and a stem to add extra hand positions was major consideration in my decision and other people have said the same in other threads. However, I totally agree that it is a matter of personal preferences.
robmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 05:11 PM   #8
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer
 
Bklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody have any more schematics? I like where you have your shifters, Staple, although that seems to be the only option for grip shifters on touring bars, right? W where are the brake levers?
Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 03:56 AM   #9
Alex L
Senior Member
 
Alex L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Moscow, Russia
Bikes:
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcl
Totally yes . . . . this is one of the main reasons poeple use these bars! They are MTB component compatible. Putting drops on a MTB is a bigger project that includes buying new shifters, brake levers,etc.
This is the main reason I use an aero bar on my upgraded hybrid Marin Kentfield. Low gearing and powerful V-brakes are more reasonable to me in hilly areas when I carry 25 kg at 80 km distance. Of course, probably I need more fitness to use road gearing for touring.

Bklyn, sorry I have not the picture of the trekking bar for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aerobar.jpg (97.2 KB, 50 views)
Alex L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 AM.