Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any Schwalbe 26x1.50 (Slick) Tire Rated Up To 100psi?

    Does anybody know any Schwalbe 26x1.50 (slick) tire that is rated up to 100psi?

    I am also interested in knowing of 26x1.50 slicks by other manufacturers that are rated at 90psi or higher. I am basically looking for a fast road tire for my mountain bike/commuter. I am currently using the Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo (26x1.95) and the Nimbus Armadillo (26x1.50), but they are both rated up to 80psi, and I'll like something with a higher psi rating.

    Thanks for your help.

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably isn't this simple, but the way I look at it is that for certain tire pressures you are only running on a certain size patch, so if it's hard enough, what is the advantage to a really wide tire? I like them wide in case I have to deflate them...

  3. #3
    __________ seeker333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think youre gonna notice much difference between 80 and 100 psi

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...west+Tire.aspx

  4. #4
    WATERFORD22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Bilenky, Co-Motion, 1969 Paramount, Waterford Adventure Cycle, Waterford rs 22, 1980 Davidson etc.
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am running Schwalbe 1.35 AND 1.25 Marathon Plus and Marathon Slicks at a 100 psi with know problems and before that Conti 2000's - even though these are not rated at a 100 they easily can be run at this. Really cuts down on pinch flats for a guy my size.

  5. #5
    Videre non videri
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
    Posts
    3,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continental SportContact 1.3" or 1.6". Both can be run at 80-90 psi.

  6. #6
    New Zealand eleanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vosyer
    I am running Schwalbe 1.35 AND 1.25 Marathon Plus and Marathon Slicks at a 100 psi with know problems and before that Conti 2000's - even though these are not rated at a 100 they easily can be run at this. Really cuts down on pinch flats for a guy my size.
    To deviate from the original question....
    I've just got some Continental Contacts, which have the same psi rating as the top touring 2000's, and I'd like to pump em up a bit harder. How come they recommend 56psi if you can actually put a lot more pressure in with no problems? What's the worst that could happen if you exceed the suggested pressure? I only weigh 52kgs (8 1/4 stone) but I'm going to be using the bike for fully loaded touring. Is there any possibility of a tyre exploding or anything drastic like that?

  7. #7
    In planning
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    My Bikes
    Revell custom tourer,Kona Stinky,Omega TI,Gaint TCR,Simonchinni,Raliegh ti,S&M Next Gen.
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guys at Bohle who do Shwalbe tyres will tell that the max psi is there because that is the max it should have in it. You running a risk of ruining a good tyre and yes it very well could explode etc, you'd never blow a 100psi tyre upto 200 psi or double the pressure in you car tyres so why do it on your touring bike. tyre manufactures spend a lot on RD and time and effort to give you a tyre that is the best for the task, so why try to make it do a job that it's not intend for? If your not satisfied with the tyre look for one that'll do what you want it to do.

  8. #8
    New Zealand eleanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. Very good point actually.

  9. #9
    No. 1 useless poster twisteroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek 7500FX, Trek 3700, Specialized tricross comp, Cannondale SR500
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a set of Schwalbe Marathon Trekking Tires on my mountain bike for commuting, 26 X 1.50, they are not quite slick, but do take 100 psi. I probably have 3-400 miles on them and like them alot.

  10. #10
    aspiring wannabe hoogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    timaru/oamaru, new zealand
    My Bikes
    trek 520, thorn nomad, giant yukon, avanti aggressor, bauer racing bike, couple of other projects ...
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i run my specialised nimbus armadillo 26x1.5 tyres at 100psi without any hassles ... i thought they had a max pressure of 100psi ... if you are saying they are only 80psi, then i had better look a bit closer on the sidewalls!!!
    thought for today: "Does my ass look fast on this bike?"

  11. #11
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie
    i run my specialised nimbus armadillo 26x1.5 tyres at 100psi without any hassles ... i thought they had a max pressure of 100psi ... if you are saying they are only 80psi, then i had better look a bit closer on the sidewalls!!!
    hoogie, the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo 26x1.5 tires are rated up to 80psi. Take a look at the ratings on the side of the tire.

    Please let us know what the maximum ratings on your tires are, and if they are 80psi, how have you fared at running them at 100psi? How long have you run them at 100psi, and more importantly, how has it been comfort-wise, speed-wise etc. running the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo at 100psi?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  12. #12
    aspiring wannabe hoogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    timaru/oamaru, new zealand
    My Bikes
    trek 520, thorn nomad, giant yukon, avanti aggressor, bauer racing bike, couple of other projects ...
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCAS
    hoogie, the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo 26x1.5 tires are rated up to 80psi. Take a look at the ratings on the side of the tire.

    Please let us know what the maximum ratings on your tires are, and if they are 80psi, how have you fared at running them at 100psi? How long have you run them at 100psi, and more importantly, how has it been comfort-wise, speed-wise etc. running the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo at 100psi?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    i have run these tyres on my nomad since april 2004, and this also includes a mini tour and a fully laden tour ...
    i bought these because they were 100psi slicks, but i will check when i get home in a couple of days [in auckland at present] ...
    they run fine at 100psi, have even used them on dirt, but they aren't that flash grip wise as can be expected!!!!
    touring, they ran great and general day to day usage is fine too ... no issues, i like them ...
    thought for today: "Does my ass look fast on this bike?"

  13. #13
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    panaracer t-serv for messenger is a HP fat tire, but not sure if it comes in 26"

    specialized fat boy. or the conti sport contacts. pump them up to 90. i forget the max on the specialized fat boy. check those out.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  14. #14
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CdCf
    Continental SportContact 1.3" or 1.6". Both can be run at 80-90 psi.
    I saw the Continental SportContact 26x1.6 on REI's website. It is however rated at 45-56psi. How is it possible to get it up to 90psi?

    Have you used the Continental SportContact? If yes, what are your impressions? Did you run it at a significantly higher pressure than recommended?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  15. #15
    aspiring wannabe hoogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    timaru/oamaru, new zealand
    My Bikes
    trek 520, thorn nomad, giant yukon, avanti aggressor, bauer racing bike, couple of other projects ...
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCAS
    hoogie, the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo 26x1.5 tires are rated up to 80psi. Take a look at the ratings on the side of the tire.

    Please let us know what the maximum ratings on your tires are, and if they are 80psi, how have you fared at running them at 100psi? How long have you run them at 100psi, and more importantly, how has it been comfort-wise, speed-wise etc. running the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo at 100psi?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    quick check ...
    i have Specialised Nimbus EX Armadillo tyres, 26x1.5, rated at 35-100psi, on my nomad ...
    i have Specialised Nimbus EX tyres, 26x1.5, rated at 35-80psi, on my giant yukon ...
    thought for today: "Does my ass look fast on this bike?"

  16. #16
    Videre non videri
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
    Posts
    3,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCAS
    I saw the Continental SportContact 26x1.6 on REI's website. It is however rated at 45-56psi. How is it possible to get it up to 90psi?

    Have you used the Continental SportContact? If yes, what are your impressions? Did you run it at a significantly higher pressure than recommended?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    I've used the 1.3" at 90-95 psi (rated 85 on the sidewall) for a year and have had no problems at all.
    I have a pair of 1.6" that I haven't used yet, but the sidewall says 80 psi, so I assume they're equally safe at 85-90 psi.

    The 1.3" are great! They're slicks, with all the advantages of having no tread pattern.
    And I haven't had a flat in over 5000 km (i.e. the total distance on them to date!), although whether that's co-incidence or due to any inherent quality of the tyre, is impossible to tell. But I frequently ride over broken glass, metal shards and sharp rocks, so I'm not exactly weaving around roadside debris...

  17. #17
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie
    quick check ...
    i have Specialised Nimbus EX Armadillo tyres, 26x1.5, rated at 35-100psi, on my nomad ...
    i have Specialised Nimbus EX tyres, 26x1.5, rated at 35-80psi, on my giant yukon ...
    Thanks for the quick check hoogie. Apparently, Specialized used to have the range of their Nimbus EX Armadillo at 35-100psi, but they have now changed it to 35-80psi.

    I am curious though if you have any observations about riding 26x1.50 tires at 80psi Vs 100psi. Does any quick observations jump at you at 80 and 100psi?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  18. #18
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CdCf
    I have a pair of 1.6" that I haven't used yet, but the sidewall says 80 psi, so I assume they're equally safe at 85-90 psi.
    I would really like to try the SportsContact 26x1.60, but REI's website is pegging the rating at 45-56psi. I am thinking, maybe, Continental has redesigned the tire, and thus reduced the psi rating. Specialized did the same thing with their 26x1.50 Nimbus Armadillo. It used to be rated at 35-100psi, but it's now 35-80psi.

    Can somebody who knows the Continental SportContact 26x1.6 tire very well please clarify the true pressure range of the current model of these tires? Is it 45-56psi a la REI, or is it rated up to 80psi?

    Thanks for all responses.

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011
    Posts
    894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run mine at 90 PSI with no problems and I weigh 225 pounds.

  20. #20
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    specialized Fatboy 26x 1.3" is sidewall rated to 100 PSI; conti sport contact 26x1.3 is rated to 90 PSI, and is a superior tire IMO. i think the specializeds are cheap Cheng Shin product...
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  21. #21
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist
    specialized Fatboy 26x 1.3" is sidewall rated to 100 PSI; conti sport contact 26x1.3 is rated to 90 PSI, and is a superior tire IMO. i think the specializeds are cheap Cheng Shin product...
    How about the Continental SportContact 26x1.6? Is it also rated up to 90psi?

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  22. #22
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i doubt it. larger tires cannot maintain the same pressures as narrower tires. the 1.3's are still plenty fat.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  23. #23
    Desert Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal Desert Cities
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Posts
    367
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the link for the SportContact. The max pressure is listed at 70psi.

    http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ontact_en.html
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

    Jack aka:makeitso

  24. #24
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitso
    Here is the link for the SportContact. The max pressure is listed at 70psi.

    http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ontact_en.html
    Thanks Makeitso.

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  25. #25
    aspiring wannabe hoogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    timaru/oamaru, new zealand
    My Bikes
    trek 520, thorn nomad, giant yukon, avanti aggressor, bauer racing bike, couple of other projects ...
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCAS
    Thanks for the quick check hoogie. Apparently, Specialized used to have the range of their Nimbus EX Armadillo at 35-100psi, but they have now changed it to 35-80psi.

    I am curious though if you have any observations about riding 26x1.50 tires at 80psi Vs 100psi. Does any quick observations jump at you at 80 and 100psi?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    ride is smoother at 80psi, but is faster at 100psi ...

    nz roads are basically stone chip, so there is constant little vibrations/jarring at 100psi, which is not there on asphalt surfaces ...
    thought for today: "Does my ass look fast on this bike?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •