Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Surly CrossCheck vs REI Nav. vs Windsor

    Ok, those are my final choices. I canceled my Trek 520 order, the more I thought about it the more I couldnt justify paying that much when I can use the extra money to add on nicer components.

    I've narrowed it down to these 3 options. I am placing the order on Wednesday and wanted any last ditch effort opinions by the good people in this forum.

    I can only find the REI and Windsor in a 58cm frame, which kind of has me worried because even though it looks like it might fit, I really dont want to go through the hastle of shipping it back. I am 6'2 and am always concerned when purchasing online, you just never know how a certain bike might fit differently.

    So, any advice is welcomed!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a bike that fits. I know somebody with the randonee and it has performed very well, very impressive for the money, especially if you can wait for one of their 20% coupons. In the end though, you really need to test ride it, and not compromise on sizing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member FraAngelico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sccr2337
    I am 6'2 and am always concerned when purchasing online, you just never know how a certain bike might fit differently.

    So, any advice is welcomed!
    I'm 6'2" and I have a size 61 Bianchi Strada. Seems like a good fit.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, Colordao
    My Bikes
    '84 Peugeot PSV-10, '00 Schwinn Moab 2, '01 Airborne Valkyrie, '04 Surly Cross-Check
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a CrossCheck (great bike!). At 6' I traditionally have ridden 58cm bikes, but my CrossCheck is a 56cm frame and fits just right. The LBS told me it's because the CrossCheck is a cyclocross bike and has a higher bottom bracket clearance. You may want to take that into consideration if you go with the Surly...
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have one day to decide. But I think I'm going with the Cross-Check.

    Has anybody done a lot of loaded touring on the Cross-Check before?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, Colordao
    My Bikes
    '84 Peugeot PSV-10, '00 Schwinn Moab 2, '01 Airborne Valkyrie, '04 Surly Cross-Check
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't but I've heard of those who have. It's a really good all-around bike. I have a rear rack and use an Arkel Bug bag and a rack pack. Sometimes I've had some pretty good weight in the Bug bag and the bike seems as stable as can be. I'm looking at some Arkel XM-45s for some easy touring and have no doubt my CrossCheck will handle it just fine...
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the windsor a few weeks ago. Seriously, it's the best deal you will find. Definitely a better value that the others.


    btw: I'm 6ft 1inch and it fits me fine. (58cm)

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT52
    I haven't but I've heard of those who have. It's a really good all-around bike. I have a rear rack and use an Arkel Bug bag and a rack pack. Sometimes I've had some pretty good weight in the Bug bag and the bike seems as stable as can be. I'm looking at some Arkel XM-45s for some easy touring and have no doubt my CrossCheck will handle it just fine...
    Thats good news. I guess I'll have to add some braze-ons and a front rack. I'd take it to the LBS, as I dont trust myself to make that sort of modification. That shouldnt be a problem

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by subigo
    I bought the windsor a few weeks ago. Seriously, it's the best deal you will find. Definitely a better value that the others.


    btw: I'm 6ft 1inch and it fits me fine. (58cm)
    I'm 6'2 and a 34 inseam. I'd probably go with the windsor if I could find one that is a 60cm, but they jump from 58 to 64. My buddy, who is a tall dude, will probably get the windsor 64cm

    That is if he doesnt chicken out of the tour.

  10. #10
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not familiar with the Windsor, but I am with the REI Randonee. Great bike and if you use the 20% off coupons that come around several times a year it cannot be beat for value.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  11. #11
    royal dutch of dukes
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    brooklyn, nyc
    Posts
    302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've done heavy loaded touring on the crosscheck in the northwest (ca -> vancouver, BC). it was incredible, and I even used the original xcross gearing (****ed my knees pretty badly the first two days, and then strengthened them incredibly) on all the hills and mountains. that thing can handle anything!

  12. #12
    tgbikes
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Omaha Ne.
    My Bikes
    Volpe,Eros, Voyageur, LHT, Ochsner
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ck the specks on the windsor the 58 has a degree less head tube angle giving it a longer wheelbase than the 64. extra stand over hight wont hurt. I wonder why they bother with the 64?? this is the deal with the Volpe also and I have 90 cm legs and the 58 is great.
    A child learns what the village teaches!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 6' 2" and my Cross Check is a 58. It fits much better than the 60 cm frame that preceded it. I use it as a daily commuter, road, and on/off road loaded tourer. I've been very happy with it in all of these configurations. The fork and rear stay geometry allows for mountain bike hub sizes and up to a 700x45 tire (something I found really nice off road). The steel frame is forgiving, not flexy-comfortable on long rides, feels very rugged too.
    die trying

    everyone likes my shirt

  14. #14
    Fatties Fit Fine carless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Now in Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sccr2337
    Ok, those are my final choices. I canceled my Trek 520 order, the more I thought about it the more I couldnt justify paying that much when I can use the extra money to add on nicer components.

    I've narrowed it down to these 3 options. I am placing the order on Wednesday and wanted any last ditch effort opinions by the good people in this forum.

    I can only find the REI and Windsor in a 58cm frame, which kind of has me worried because even though it looks like it might fit, I really dont want to go through the hastle of shipping it back. I am 6'2 and am always concerned when purchasing online, you just never know how a certain bike might fit differently.

    So, any advice is welcomed!
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...ory_rn=4500922

    http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes.html

    What are the odd's? I own an 02 Novara Randonee and a Surly CrossCheck. I have toured the Oregon coast on the Randonee. I am 230# and 5'11'' with an inseam of 30" (short legs).

    Randonee
    ++ Load handling
    ++ Chainstay length Size 12 shoes
    ++ Value On sale $450
    ++ on Paint
    ++ Rack mount, fender clearance
    ++ Stock wheels
    +- Gruppo "Tiagra"
    +- Gearing 30-39-50 approx (I changed it)
    -- Brakes, hard to adjust, eat rims, even with cool stops (I'm fat...)

    Cross Check
    ++ ride unloaded
    ++ Chainstay length Size 12 shoes, fender clearance
    -- Price
    -- Loaded touring
    -- No front pannier attachment
    = This is now a great fixed gear travel bike with S&S Couplers, backpack case.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •