Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: choices

  1. #1
    Do I use too many commas?
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central New York
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    choices

    Which should I get. The Trek 520 or Cannondale T800?

    Why?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillisB
    Which should I get. The Trek 520 or Cannondale T800?

    Why?

    You might want to check out the touring bikes from Bruce Gordon Cycles.
    www.bgcycles.com
    Regards,
    Bruce Gordon
    Bruce Gordon Cycles

  3. #3
    Do I use too many commas?
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central New York
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgcycles
    You might want to check out the touring bikes from Bruce Gordon Cycles.
    www.bgcycles.com
    Regards,
    Bruce Gordon
    Bruce Gordon Cycles
    Thanks for the input. My question was about the Trek and Cannondale. Any comments on why one over the other?

  4. #4
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,408
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillisB
    Thanks for the input. My question was about the Trek and Cannondale. Any comments on why one over the other?
    I've tried them both (not loaded) and I gave the nod to the Cannondale. The Trek seemed too flexy for my taste. I didn't like the bar end shifters either. I've had them on other bikes and just never really liked them. And, frankly, the 520 just seemed 'boring' to me.

    I purchased a Cannondale T800 in 2003 and have used it on 2 different multiweek tours, general riding and commuting. I couldn't be happier with it. The bike is very stiff. Unloaded it is almost too stiff. Even with 80psi 37C tires, you feel every jolt in the pavement. But throw 50+ pounds of gear on it and it becomes one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden.

    I've had steel touring bikes in the past and all of them suffered from the shimmies on fast downhills. They also seemed to be noodly in corners. The Trek kind of felt like that when I tested it, which is why I decided against it. The T800 rides without the noodlyness.

    But the ride isn't for everyone. Lots of people like the more compliant ride of steel (I still have my old touring bike and it is nice to ride around town) especially considering that your are going to ride it unloaded far longer than you ride with a load on it.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  5. #5
    Do I use too many commas?
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central New York
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute
    I've tried them both (not loaded) and I gave the nod to the Cannondale. The Trek seemed too flexy for my taste. I didn't like the bar end shifters either. I've had them on other bikes and just never really liked them. And, frankly, the 520 just seemed 'boring' to me.

    I purchased a Cannondale T800 in 2003 and have used it on 2 different multiweek tours, general riding and commuting. I couldn't be happier with it. The bike is very stiff. Unloaded it is almost too stiff. Even with 80psi 37C tires, you feel every jolt in the pavement. But throw 50+ pounds of gear on it and it becomes one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden.

    I've had steel touring bikes in the past and all of them suffered from the shimmies on fast downhills. They also seemed to be noodly in corners. The Trek kind of felt like that when I tested it, which is why I decided against it. The T800 rides without the noodlyness.

    But the ride isn't for everyone. Lots of people like the more compliant ride of steel (I still have my old touring bike and it is nice to ride around town) especially considering that your are going to ride it unloaded far longer than you ride with a load on it.
    Thanks! Great input.

    I want to support my LBS's. One handles Cannondale the other Trek.

  6. #6
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    10,720
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillisB
    Which should I get. The Trek 520 or Cannondale T800?

    Why?
    Which one fits better?

    After that consideration, everything else is trivial.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    test drive (ride) both; become an informed consumer!
    personally, i use steel (chro-moly db) for loaded tours. club rides, w/out load, aluminum jumps when i want it too. both frames are task-specific for me.
    ride both and make your own choice!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •