My friend, Cengiz Akinli, is now conducting a 1-man bicycle tour across America to raise awareness for the still high demand for Hurricane Katrina relief. He began in Boston, MA, and will end in Pasadena, CA. His goal is to raise awareness and support for the Mississippi Gulf Coast region. There in Gulfport, he has led many groups of volunteers, established a camp dedicated to hurricane relief, and has lived there for this purpose the past 4 months. He hopes to open some eyes by biking cross-country and giving speeches as he goes along. He updates nightly on his trip at his website www.msafy.org.
He would appreciate any support you could give him. This can include:
1) Any potential speaking event locations in areas he passes through. He will be in DC around the 24th, and his other locations can be seen on his website (under ‘Trip Info’). The type of location doesn't matter, church, school, backyard, etc. He will also take an audience of any size, but looks for at least 10 people or so. He talks for about 20-30 minutes and answers questions.
2) Hauling his stuff by car from one stopping point to the next, about 40-50 miles. On this 3000+ mile trip he is toting his belongings in a bike trailer, and 60lbs really hurts.
3) Joining him for the ride for any stretch of distance if you are a biker.
4) Donations to the registered non-profit organization that he has been working with, Turkey Creek Community Initiatives. http://www.msafy.org/donate.php (tax deductible)
5) Anything else you can think of to help his cause or promote his ride
If you have any information or want to help, please contact me.