Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-06, 07:30 PM   #1
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,679
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Where in Alberta?

If you could tour anywhere in Alberta (or even eastern BC or western Saskatchewan), where would you be most interested in going?


I'm asking because I currently live in Alberta, and while I'm here I'd like to see as much of the interesting parts of province and surrounding area as I can.


When I travel to other provinces and states, I've got a pretty good idea where I'd like to go and what I'd like to see there ... but sometimes, with our own provinces or states, we can take things for granted ...... and then we don't end up seeing much at all.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-06, 11:01 PM   #2
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wyoming
Bikes:
Posts: 2,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Don't know how long you have to ride - a week?
Why not do the Okanagan?
It's warmer than Alberta this time of year
So you might get a little Indian Summer riding in.
Drive over to Kamloops and do a loop.
There's a nice 400 km loop to the north thru Cache Creek and 100 Mile House.
You could continue up into Wells Gray - lovely this time of year.
Longer, but warmer rider to the south via Kelowna.
Pleasant scenery - nothing like the Icefields - but if you get nice fall weather - some nice rides.
jamawani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-06, 11:34 PM   #3
brotherdan
This user is a pipebomb
 
brotherdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2001, GT ZR3000 2001, Raleigh One Way 2007
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I passed through Waterton National Park on a tour in 2003. It was absolutely spectacular, and Glacier National Park is just across the border in Montana, which is even nicer. You can actually hike from one park to the other. That was my only experience with Alberta, but I would recommend it very highly.
brotherdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-06, 11:39 AM   #4
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,679
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Well, I'm doing these tours on weekends ... and some on very short weekends seeing as I have to work Saturdays!! I can drive out to places and ride from there so it does give me some range, but I am still limited to very brief tours.

I'd love to do the Okanagan ... I've been there several times, and have cycled there, and would like to do it again ... but it is a bit far away I think.

Waterton is an excellent idea. I keep forgetting that it's there.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-06, 04:33 PM   #5
Ian
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In January, when the temperature drops to the unbearable in Alberta, take a cheap WestJet flight to Victoria and do Vancouver Island. There's good biking all year round. The only thing you need in winter is good rain gear.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-06, 08:29 PM   #6
womble
No longer in Wimbledon...
 
womble's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Bikes:
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I saw the thread, I thought it said "Where IS Alberta" and assumed that it was posted by someone down south
womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 12:41 AM   #7
foggydew
Life is simply timing...
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: British Columbia - Lower Mainland
Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone (2005) / Cannondale T700 Touring (1994)
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in the lower mainland of British Columbia but it seems like the options for multi-day tours is limited for a number of reasons -- the ocean and 2 million people to the west, the mountains to the north, the US border to the south (although in the past I have done many tours into Washington, the hastles of crossing the border since 2001 make it less desirable), and the narrow Fraser Valley to the east.

I grew up in the Red Deer area in Alberta and have often wished that I was more of a cyclist when I lived there. I envy you because of there are so many opportunities for extended day trips and weekend or week long tours. Highway 22 in the foothills is a wonderful cycle which I have done from Highway 1 to the Crowsnest while on a 3 week tour in the 90's. We also passed through Waterton National Park which has already been mentioned. Waterton is my favourite of the Rcoky Mountain national parks - its quieter and less developed than Banff or Jasper. Having said that the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff is fantastic with lots of hostels for overnight stays.

I have always wanted to cycle out to Oyen on the Saskatchewan border and then south to Medicine Hat. There aren't a lot of towns so you would have to stock up with supplies. The Hand Hills between Hanna and Drumheller are another great location (I lived in Delia for 2 1/2 years) - I think there is a camp site up there. The Cypress Hills would be another great destination and you could go west to Writing on Stone Provincial Park which is also beautiful.

I grew up in near Bentley where you could head west from there into the Medicine Hills and then North through Rimbey, Blufton, Breton, Drayton Valley, go west on Highway 16 and then north on Highway 32 to Whitecourt and beyond to Lesser Slave Lake. You could then loop back down to Athabasca, Elk Island National Park east of Edmonton. And how about the old Forestry Trunk Road - is it paved from Hinton to Grand Prairie now? - that would be another nice trip. I will stop...so many dreams and so little time!!
foggydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 07:53 AM   #8
Monoborracho
Senior Member
 
Monoborracho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Deep In The Heart
Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Posts: 2,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had a condo in Calgary and worked in Alberta for the better part of three years, but that was 15 years ago and I wasn't cycling. I spent a lot of time around Brooks, Princess, Drumheller, and Dinosaur Park (drilled all those gas wells in and under the park, and paid for much of the overlook when you drive in).

If I had enough time I'd love a two week (or more?) tour from Calgary out east and then back up to Edmonton, then over to Jasper and back to Calgary. Besides the mountains and the icefields, I like the prairies.
__________________
Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman
Monoborracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 10:47 AM   #9
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,679
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggydew
I grew up in the Red Deer area in Alberta and have often wished that I was more of a cyclist when I lived there. I envy you because of there are so many opportunities for extended day trips and weekend or week long tours. Highway 22 in the foothills is a wonderful cycle which I have done from Highway 1 to the Crowsnest while on a 3 week tour in the 90's.
I've ridden Hwy 22 a number of times on brevets, but not on what I would call a tour.


Quote:
Originally Posted by foggydew
We also passed through Waterton National Park which has already been mentioned. Waterton is my favourite of the Rcoky Mountain national parks - its quieter and less developed than Banff or Jasper. Having said that the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff is fantastic with lots of hostels for overnight stays.
I'll have to check how late in the year campgrounds in Waterton are open ... I've heard a lot of nice things about that part of the world.



Quote:
Originally Posted by foggydew
I have always wanted to cycle out to Oyen on the Saskatchewan border and then south to Medicine Hat. There aren't a lot of towns so you would have to stock up with supplies. The Hand Hills between Hanna and Drumheller are another great location (I lived in Delia for 2 1/2 years) - I think there is a camp site up there. The Cypress Hills would be another great destination and you could go west to Writing on Stone Provincial Park which is also beautiful.
I've heard good things about Cypress Hills ... that might be a possibility. I've visited Drumheller a number of times (more brevets!) and it is interesting, but I've driven out Oyen way and it gets pretty flat, barren, tree-less, and desolate out there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by foggydew
I grew up in near Bentley where you could head west from there into the Medicine Hills and then North through Rimbey, Blufton, Breton, Drayton Valley, go west on Highway 16 and then north on Highway 32 to Whitecourt and beyond to Lesser Slave Lake. You could then loop back down to Athabasca, Elk Island National Park east of Edmonton. And how about the old Forestry Trunk Road - is it paved from Hinton to Grand Prairie now? - that would be another nice trip. I will stop...so many dreams and so little time!!
I've done a lot of riding around Bentley (I like the route through the Medicine Hills), Rimbey, and even got up to Drayton Valley this year. I've also ridden through Elk Island National Park. Most of those rides were brevets or training rides though, not tours.

And yes, I believe Hwy 40 is paved now. That would be an interesting one!
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-06, 11:20 PM   #10
foggydew
Life is simply timing...
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: British Columbia - Lower Mainland
Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone (2005) / Cannondale T700 Touring (1994)
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems like you already have Alberta pretty well figured out. Good luck in your journeys around this beautiful province.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka
I've ridden Hwy 22 a number of times on brevets, but not on what I would call a tour.




I'll have to check how late in the year campgrounds in Waterton are open ... I've heard a lot of nice things about that part of the world.





I've heard good things about Cypress Hills ... that might be a possibility. I've visited Drumheller a number of times (more brevets!) and it is interesting, but I've driven out Oyen way and it gets pretty flat, barren, tree-less, and desolate out there.




I've done a lot of riding around Bentley (I like the route through the Medicine Hills), Rimbey, and even got up to Drayton Valley this year. I've also ridden through Elk Island National Park. Most of those rides were brevets or training rides though, not tours.

And yes, I believe Hwy 40 is paved now. That would be an interesting one!
foggydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 PM.